Autocorrelation function in Excel

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the autocorrelation function in Excel to analyze a large set of data. The forum user was having trouble extending the formula, but the problem was solved by adding a $ sign to make the variable fixed. The person also suggests trying Excel forum for further assistance.
dinky
Autocorrelation function in Excel (SOLVED)

Hi, I have tried reading through this forum looking for similar example but am unable to find one.

Basically, I have a large set of data that I intend to do autocorrelation.

=CORREL(A1:A10000,A2:A10001)
=CORREL(A1:A10000,A3:A10002)
=CORREL(A1:A10000,A4:A10003)
=CORREL(A1:A10000,A10000:A20000)

But when i try to extend the formula, it does not seem to work? Can anyone help me on this? Thanks.

Added the $ sign to make it a fixed variable.
Problem solved. Thanks for the help

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org

1. What is an autocorrelation function in Excel?

An autocorrelation function in Excel is a statistical tool that measures the correlation between a time series and its own lagged values. It helps to identify any patterns or relationships between the values in a time series.

2. How can I calculate the autocorrelation function in Excel?

To calculate the autocorrelation function in Excel, you can use the CORREL function, which calculates the correlation between two sets of data. You will need to enter the range of data for your time series and the corresponding lagged values as the two arguments for the function.

3. What does the autocorrelation function value tell us?

The autocorrelation function value tells us the strength and direction of the relationship between a time series and its lagged values. A value of 1 indicates a perfect positive correlation, a value of -1 indicates a perfect negative correlation, and a value of 0 indicates no correlation.

4. How can I interpret the autocorrelation function plot in Excel?

The autocorrelation function plot in Excel is a visual representation of the correlation between a time series and its lagged values. If the plot shows a peak at lag 1, it indicates a strong positive correlation. A peak at lag 0 indicates a perfect correlation, and a peak at negative lags indicates a negative correlation.

5. Can I use the autocorrelation function in Excel for non-time series data?

No, the autocorrelation function in Excel is specifically designed for time series data, which is a series of data points indexed in time order. It may not give meaningful results for non-time series data as it assumes a relationship between consecutive data points based on their time order.