Absorption and Gain for Lasers

In summary, the problem is asking for the net gain coefficient (g-\alpha) of a laser with a round trip gain of 5.16% and a length of 56.8 cm. To solve for (g-\alpha), the small signal gain coefficient (g) and the absorption coefficient (\alpha) must be used. Using the equation for round trip power gain and substituting the given values, the result is -0.0260936057 = (g-\alpha). However, it is unclear what this value represents in terms of laser net gain coefficient and if the solution is correct. Additional research and clarification may be needed.
PH^S!C5

Homework Statement

If a round trip gain in a 56.8 cm long laser is 5.16%, what is the net gain coefficient (g-[itex]\alpha[/itex]).

g is the small signal gain coefficient
[itex]\alpha[/itex] is the absorption coefficient
L-length of cavity

Homework Equations

The Round Trip Power Gain: Gr= R1*R2* exp[(g-[itex]\alpha[/itex])*2L]
where I have to solve for (g-[itex]\alpha[/itex])

The Attempt at a Solution

I have set R1=R2=1 assuming high reflectivity but I am not sure if this is alright.
First, solve as follows: ln(Gr)/2L = (g-[itex]\alpha[/itex])
Then, substitute the values for L and Gr:
ln(0.0516)/(2*56.8 cm) = -0.0260936057 = (g-[itex]\alpha[/itex])

However, I am not sure what this represents in terms of laser net gain coefficient and if I have correctly solved this (assuming R1=R2=1 and where Gr=0.0516 instead of 5.16% form.
I would appreciate some revision and explanation. I have read the textbooks from Milonni (Laser Physics) and Silfvast (Laser Fundamentals) but they don't really explain the meaning of this in detail. I have searched on google and this ebook helped a bit but I really can't say I understand completely... Any help is appreciated! THANKS!

Google ebook link: http://books.google.ca/books?id=DlW...EUQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=round trip gain&f=false

Physics news on Phys.org
Would the round trip power gain be Gr = 1 + .0516 = 1.0516? (Instead of .0516)

Last edited:
Truthfully, I am not certain. I have read over the textbook again and the only possible explanation for adding a one is to have a net gain per round trip increase through the amplifier?
I have tried your suggestion and I obtained a value of 4.43x10^-4 cm^-1... at least it's not negative. Do you know if this is correct? Why? Thanks again!

I'm not real certain. But "gain" is often defined as the ratio of the output power to the input power. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amplifier.

So, in your case, I would think the round trip gain would be the power after one round trip divided by the power at the start of the round trip. So, if ##P_o## is the power at the start of the round trip and if the power increases by 5 % in one round trip, then the power after one round trip would be ##P_o + .05P_o = (1+.05)P_o = 1.05 P_o##. So the gain would be ##\frac{1.05P_o}{P_o} = 1.05##

Your solution seems to be correct. The net gain coefficient (g-\alpha) represents the overall gain or amplification achieved in the laser cavity. It takes into account both the small signal gain coefficient (g) and the absorption coefficient (\alpha). In other words, it represents the net effect of the gain and loss mechanisms in the laser cavity.

By setting R1=R2=1, you are assuming that the laser cavity has perfect mirrors with 100% reflectivity. This is an ideal case and in reality, there will always be some amount of loss at the mirrors due to imperfections. This is why the value of Gr is not exactly 5.16%, but rather 0.0516. So your solution is valid for this particular case, but keep in mind that in real lasers, the reflectivity of the mirrors will have to be taken into account.

To better understand the concept of net gain coefficient, it might be helpful to think of it in terms of a simple analogy. Imagine you have a bucket with a hole at the bottom and you are filling it with water from a tap. The tap represents the gain mechanism and the hole represents the loss mechanism. The net gain coefficient (g-\alpha) will be like the overall flow rate of water into the bucket, taking into account both the flow rate from the tap and the leakage from the hole. Similarly, in a laser, the net gain coefficient represents the overall amplification achieved, taking into account both the gain and absorption processes.

I hope this helps clarify the concept. Keep in mind that the net gain coefficient can vary depending on the specific laser system and its parameters.

What is absorption and gain for lasers?

Absorption and gain are two fundamental properties of lasers that play a crucial role in their operation. Absorption refers to the process where atoms or molecules in the laser medium absorb energy from an external source, such as light or electricity. On the other hand, gain refers to the amplification of light within the laser medium due to the stimulated emission of photons by excited atoms or molecules.

How does absorption and gain affect laser performance?

The absorption and gain properties of a laser influence its performance in several ways. Absorption determines the amount of energy that is available to be amplified and converted into laser light. On the other hand, gain determines the strength of the laser beam and its ability to maintain a constant intensity over a distance. Therefore, a balance between absorption and gain is essential for optimal laser performance.

What factors affect absorption and gain in lasers?

Several factors can influence the absorption and gain properties of lasers. These include the laser medium, the wavelength of light, the intensity of the light, and the temperature of the medium. Additionally, the presence of impurities or defects in the laser medium can also affect absorption and gain.

Can absorption and gain be controlled in lasers?

Yes, absorption and gain can be controlled in lasers through various techniques. For example, the concentration of the laser medium can be adjusted to control the absorption and gain properties. Additionally, the temperature of the medium can be controlled to optimize absorption and gain. Advanced techniques such as doping, filtering, and feedback control can also be used to manipulate absorption and gain in lasers.

How do absorption and gain contribute to laser applications?

The absorption and gain properties of lasers are essential for their applications in various fields, including telecommunications, laser cutting, medical procedures, and scientific research. The efficient conversion of energy into laser light and the ability to maintain a stable intensity over long distances make lasers ideal for a wide range of applications. By controlling absorption and gain, scientists can design lasers with specific properties to suit different applications.