Teaching yourself, is it really possible?

• Thread starter uperkurk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Teaching
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of learning physics without a formal education through self-study using the internet and books. It is suggested that while it may be difficult to fully understand without hands-on experience, it is possible to gain knowledge through reading. Examples of individuals who have made significant contributions to the field without formal education are also mentioned. However, it is noted that without a teacher or access to facilities, it may be difficult to master a subject on one's own. The conversation also touches on the misleading nature of Freeman Dyson's claim of only having a bachelor's degree in mathematics.
Evo said:
One of the problems with being self-taught, you may learn facts, but you don't learn critical thinking.

There's a distinction to be made between memorizing facts and learning.

I've found that tackling a subject independently is challenging precisely because of the additional effort required in extracting key points and making the necessary connections, without the benefit of an instructor who can present the material for effective consumption - it's difficult and exhausting and IMHO does require extra critical thinking.

Whether self-taught students are more inclined to pursue fact memorization rather than actual learning, is a different question.

Science news on Phys.org
russ_watters said:
I haven't followed the thread either, but just one little point:

The phrase "teaching yourself" really annoys me because it is an oxymoron. "Teaching" is when one person shows another person how to do something, so no it is not possible to "teach yourself".

"Self-learning" would be better because learning is something you do yourself, but that kinda makes it redundant.

Am I just being pedantic? No. My point is that if you want to learn via books or the internet, you are still learning from other people who created the content that you are trying to absorb. The question is: are you using that content effectively/as it was designed and can you lean successfully by using it in ways that may be different from how it was designed?

I think you are being pedantic. :tongue2: In a sense, self-learning requires a student to take on part of the role of the instructor by:

1. Selecting the material to focus on.
2. Determining the order in which to process the material.
3. Extracting meaningful abstractions.
4. Formulating practice exercises.

To teach oneself.

I think anyone smart enough to teach themselves physics would also be smart enough to get a scholarship to a good university.

Did anyone here watch the movie "A Beautiful Mind"? Here's a snippet from a review.
Mr. Gadget said:
The movie makes it a specific point to highlight that Nash never attended a class, but the biography is clear that he avoided classes but would sit in from time to time. Nash did not simply think classes were a waste of his time. He felt they were counter-productive because they would cause him to think like others had thought. (John Jaques, 2002)
http://mr-gadget.hubpages.com/hub/A-BEAUTIFUL-MIND-JOHN-NASH-AND-SCHIZOPHRENIA

You can't learn many lab techniques in a textbook. Real science is done in a lab, not through homework problems or a written exam. It takes thousands of hours in lab to gain finesse and learn tricks you would never have figured out yourself if someone else didn't show you.

The reason why I ask is because I am not in a financial postion or educated enough at the moment to attend university. The sad fact is I most likely won't be able to attend university for a good amount of years. So self learning at home, getting a solid understanding so once I find myself in a position to attend university I should be in the best possible position.