Powers of matrices equal to the identity matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses the conditions under which the powers of a square matrix can equal the identity matrix. Initially, it was conjectured that the matrix A would also be an identity matrix, but a counterexample was found. It was then suggested that A is an elementary matrix, and further exploration was done with 2x2 matrices. It was found that the condition for A to equal the identity matrix is the same as the determinant of A being equal to 1, which is not always attainable with elementary matrices. It is also noted that the solution to An=I can be achieved with diagonal or rotation matrices, as well as similar matrices.
Bipolarity
I am curious about under what conditions the powers of a square matrix can equal the identity matrix.

Suppose that A is a square matrix so that [itex] A^{2} = I [/itex]

At first I conjectured that A is also an identity matrix, but I found a counterexample to this.
I noticed that the counterexample was an elementary matrix.

So then I conjectured that A is an elementary matrix. Is this true? Can I prove this? What about for general powers of A?

BiP

Physics news on Phys.org
As a simple example think about 2x2 matrices.

If ##\displaystyle A = \begin{bmatrix}a & b \\ c & d \end{bmatrix}##, then

##\displaystyle A^2 = \begin{bmatrix}a^2 + bc & b(a+d) \\ c(a+d) & d^2 + bc \end{bmatrix} = I##.

From the off-diagonal terms, ##b(a+d) = 0## and ##c(a+d) = 0##.
Taking ##b = c = 0## isn't going to lead to anywhere interesting, so let's see what happens if ##d = -a##.
From the diagonal terms, ##a^2 + bc = 1##.

You can satisfy that with matrices that are not elementary, for example
##\displaystyle A = \begin{bmatrix} 2 & 3 \\ -1 & -2 \end{bmatrix}##.

In fact the condition ##a^2 + bc = 1## here is the same as ##|\det A| = 1##, which isn't a complete coincidence - but things are not so simple for bigger matrices.

I see. Thanks much [itex]\aleph_0[/itex]

BiP

A solution to An=I is obviously attained if A is a suitable diagonal or rotation matrix, and also for all similar matrices PAP-1, where P is invertible.

olarScientist:

Hello there! It is great to see your curiosity in exploring the powers of matrices equal to the identity matrix. This is an interesting topic in linear algebra and has many applications in various fields of science and engineering.

To answer your question, it is not necessary for a matrix A to be an identity matrix in order for its powers to equal the identity matrix. As you have discovered, there are counterexamples to this conjecture, such as elementary matrices. These are matrices that can be obtained by performing a single elementary row operation on the identity matrix.

As for your conjecture that A must be an elementary matrix, this is also not necessarily true. There are other types of matrices that can satisfy the condition A^{2} = I, such as diagonal matrices with entries of 1 or -1 along the main diagonal.

In general, we can say that if a square matrix A has the property that A^{n} = I for some positive integer n, then A is called an nth root of the identity matrix. However, there is no guarantee that A will be an elementary matrix or have any specific structure.

In order to prove that A is an elementary matrix, you would need to show that it can be obtained from the identity matrix by performing a single elementary row operation. This may not always be the case for all powers of A, making it difficult to prove your conjecture.

I hope this helps answer your questions and encourages you to continue exploring the fascinating world of linear algebra. Keep asking questions and seeking answers, as that is the essence of science. Best of luck in your research!

1. What does it mean for a matrix to have powers equal to the identity matrix?

When a matrix has powers equal to the identity matrix, it means that when the matrix is multiplied by itself a certain number of times, the resulting matrix is equal to the identity matrix. This is a special property of matrices that have square dimensions.

2. How do I raise a matrix to a power?

To raise a matrix to a power, you can use the exponentiation operator (^) in most programming languages. For example, if you have a 2x2 matrix A and want to raise it to the power of 3, you would write A^3. The resulting matrix would be A multiplied by itself 3 times.

3. Can any matrix have powers equal to the identity matrix?

No, only square matrices can have powers equal to the identity matrix. This is because non-square matrices cannot be multiplied by themselves and result in a square matrix, which is necessary for the identity matrix.

4. What is the significance of a matrix having powers equal to the identity matrix?

When a matrix has powers equal to the identity matrix, it means that the matrix is invertible. This means that it has an inverse matrix that, when multiplied together, result in the identity matrix. Invertible matrices are important in solving systems of linear equations and other mathematical operations.

5. How can I use matrices with powers equal to the identity matrix in real-world applications?

Matrices with powers equal to the identity matrix have many applications in fields such as computer graphics, cryptography, and engineering. They are used to transform and manipulate data in a variety of ways, and their properties make them useful in solving complex problems efficiently.