Energy of a Hydrogen Flouride molecule in normal mode vibration

In summary, the question is about finding the energy of a hydrogen fluoride molecule through its displacements and a coupled oscillator problem. The total energy should be the sum of 1/2 mv2 and 1/2 kx2. The displacements of the atoms are related through the mass center of the system, and the extension of the spring is the sum of their displacements.
Dixanadu

Homework Statement

Hi everyone! first post here :)

Basically, the question is as follows:
Consider a hydrogen fluoride molecule (atomic mass of H is 1g/mole and of F is 19 g/mole).
1. Write the energy of the system in terms of the displacements of both atoms.

There are other questions but if i can get this one I think the others will be fine.

Homework Equations

This is a coupled oscillator problem, so we're gona model it as two masses with a spring in between, that has a stiffness k. the equations are:
Total energy E = 1/2 kx2
General solution to the coupled oscillator differential equation: x = A cos(ωt) (we don't have to worry about phase shift)
Restoring force F by Hooke's law = -kx

The Attempt at a Solution

What I'm having trouble with is 2 things:

1st of all - my professor has written in his reference notes that the total energy E of another similar problem is 1/2 kx2. Shouldn't it be 1/2 kA2; the sum of 1/2 mv2 and 1/2 kx2?

secondly - I am a bit confused as to how I'm meant to work with the displacements - since each atom displaces in the opposite direction (I don't think there is any normal mode other than this one) how do i construct the problem? Anyway, here's what I got for a solution but I have no way of telling if its right since its an assessed assignment:

If we consider the displacement of the hydrogen atom as xH and that of the fluoride atom as xF then:

E = 1/2 kx2 = 1/2 k(xH-xF)2

So...here's the confusion now...the signs of the displacements xH and xF...what are they? @_@ and is the equation I am using even the right one?

Thanks a lot guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Dixanadu, welcome to the forum.
Dixanadu said:
Basically, the question is as follows:
Consider a hydrogen fluoride molecule (atomic mass of H is 1g/mole and of F is 19 g/mole).
Pedantry point: I believe it's "fluoride".
Total energy E = 1/2 kx2
Shouldn't it be ... the sum of 1/2 mv2 and 1/2 kx2?
Yes.
secondly - I am a bit confused as to how I'm meant to work with the displacements - since each atom displaces in the opposite direction

If we consider the displacement of the hydrogen atom as xH and that of the fluoride atom as xF then:
You know that the mass centre of the system won't change. That gives you a relationship between the two displacements. The extension of the 'spring' will be their sum.

1. What is the energy of a hydrogen fluoride molecule in normal mode vibration?

The energy of a hydrogen fluoride molecule in normal mode vibration refers to the total energy of the molecule as it vibrates in its normal mode, which is the most stable and lowest energy state.

2. How is the energy of a hydrogen fluoride molecule calculated in normal mode vibration?

The energy of a hydrogen fluoride molecule in normal mode vibration is calculated using the harmonic oscillator model, which takes into account the masses of the atoms, the bond length, and the force constant of the bond.

3. What factors can affect the energy of a hydrogen fluoride molecule in normal mode vibration?

The energy of a hydrogen fluoride molecule in normal mode vibration can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other molecules or ions that can interact with the molecule.

4. How does the energy of a hydrogen fluoride molecule in normal mode vibration relate to its chemical properties?

The energy of a hydrogen fluoride molecule in normal mode vibration plays a crucial role in determining its chemical properties, such as its reactivity and stability. Higher energy levels can lead to more reactivity and potential for chemical reactions.

5. Can the energy of a hydrogen fluoride molecule in normal mode vibration be measured experimentally?

Yes, the energy of a hydrogen fluoride molecule in normal mode vibration can be measured experimentally using techniques such as infrared spectroscopy or Raman spectroscopy.