When will fusion power be economically viable?

In summary, the conversation touches on the topic of hydrogen fusion power stations and when they will be able to produce energy at economic rates. Some believe it will happen in the near future while others are more skeptical and think it may take 50 years or more. There is also discussion about the break even point and the potential for coldfusion to become mainstream. Overall, there is uncertainty and varying opinions about the timeline for fusion power stations to become a viable source of energy.
tozhan
Can anyone here tell me how long it will be (roughly) until hydrogen fusion power stations are producing energy at economic rates? it can't be far off can it?

thx

Engineering news on Phys.org
I too have pondered that very question, I personally have no idea but hope to hear any info on it.

Breakeven has been somewhere between 5 and 15yrs down the road for the last 30yrs. It may wll be 15-20 yrs after breakeven is achieved before comericail plants become viable. Do not hold your breath waiting for this. Being somewhat of a pesimist I think it is about even odds that in 100yrs man kind will live in technology wonder land or the stone age.

agreed, i personally feel the later is more probable. :( Thanks for the info on fusion power stations.

I'm next door to couple of fusion guys and the late estimates seem, unfortunately, the likely ones. Any sort of "large scale" (=commercial level) production 50 years, add what comes down the road and all other non-technical & scientifical problems -> really long.

Integral said:
Breakeven has been somewhere between 5 and 15yrs down the road for the last 30yrs. It may wll be 15-20 yrs after breakeven is achieved before comericail plants become viable.
While doing research for an argument on another forum, I found that the break even point was reached over 10 years ago. I wish I kept the link for it.

Science can never be predected.

The answer depends on when will coldfusion become mainstream.

1. What is fusion power and how does it work?

Fusion power is a type of nuclear energy that is generated by fusing two atomic nuclei together to form a heavier nucleus. This process releases a large amount of energy, similar to how the sun produces energy. Fusion power works by using extremely high temperatures and pressures to overcome the repulsive forces between atomic nuclei, allowing them to merge and release energy.

2. Why is fusion power considered a promising energy source?

Fusion power has the potential to provide a virtually limitless supply of clean and sustainable energy. It produces no greenhouse gases or radioactive waste, making it an environmentally friendly alternative to traditional forms of energy. Additionally, fusion reactions require very little fuel and can produce large amounts of energy, making it a highly efficient source of power.

3. When do scientists predict that fusion power will be economically viable?

There is no definitive answer to this question as it depends on various factors such as advancements in technology, funding, and research progress. However, many experts believe that fusion power could become economically viable within the next few decades.

4. What are some challenges that need to be overcome before fusion power can be commercially available?

One of the main challenges is achieving and maintaining the high temperatures and pressures needed for fusion reactions to occur. This requires advanced and expensive equipment, as well as precise control and management of the fusion process. Additionally, finding suitable materials that can withstand the extreme conditions inside a fusion reactor is another major challenge.

5. Are there any fusion power projects currently in development?

Yes, there are several fusion power projects being developed around the world, such as the International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor (ITER) in France and the Wendelstein 7-X in Germany. These projects aim to demonstrate the feasibility and potential of fusion power as a future energy source.