Are U and W Equal? Solving for Linear Independence in Subspaces

• Thread starter peripatein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subspaces
In summary, the conversation discusses determining whether two subspaces, U and W, are equal to each other. The subspaces are defined using a set of vectors, v1, v2, v3, and v4, and the span of those vectors. The individual then tries to solve a system of equations to show that the subspaces are equal, but is unable to do so. The conclusion is that the subspaces are not equal because the vectors used to define them are not linearly independent.
peripatein
Hi,
How may I determine whether the subspaces U and W are equal to each other?:

K is linearly independent wrt V, defined thus:
K={v1,v2,v3,v4} subset of V
U and W, subspaces of V, are defined thus:
U=Sp(K); W=Sp{v1-v2,v2-v3,v3-v4,v4-v1}

I am not allowed to use equality between dimensions!

I have tried solving:
a1v1+a2v2+a3v3+a4v4=b1(v1-v2)+b2(v2-v3)+b3(v3-v4)+b4(v4-v1)
But I am not sure it got me anywhere :-/.

I hope one of you could assist. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
peripatein said:
a1v1+a2v2+a3v3+a4v4=b1(v1-v2)+b2(v2-v3)+b3(v3-v4)+b4(v4-v1)
Seems like a reasonable start. Where did that lead?

It led to a1=b1-b4; a2=-b1+b2; a3=-b2+b3; a4=-b3+b4
I tried substituting them into a matrix but am not sure I got anything meaningful.
I also know that when a1v1+a2v2+a3v3+a4v4=0, a1=a2=a3=a4=0.
Any idea how I should proceed?

If you can show that v1-v2, v2-v3, v3-v4, and v4-v1 are independent then you are done. Do you see why?

I am not sure. If b1(v1-v2)+b2(v2-v3)+b3(v3-v4)+b4(v4-v1)=0 necessarily implies b1=b2=b3=b4=0, why does that mean that U=W? Isn't the homogeneous system merely a private case? Were U and W both linearly independent, why would U be equal to W?

peripatein said:
It led to a1=b1-b4; a2=-b1+b2; a3=-b2+b3; a4=-b3+b4
I tried substituting them into a matrix but am not sure I got anything meaningful.
I also know that when a1v1+a2v2+a3v3+a4v4=0, a1=a2=a3=a4=0.
Any idea how I should proceed?

If you add those equations up you get a1+a2+a3+a4=0. What would that tell you?

Does that tell me that {v1,v2,v3,v4} is linearly dependent as a1, a2, a3, a4 are not forcibly all zero?

I would say it means that only SOME vectors in Sp{v1,v2,v3,v4} are also in Sp{v1-v2,v2-v3,v3-v4,v4-v1}. Can you tell me why?

As for the two spans to be equal certain conditions must be met, i.e. a system of equations must be solved which imposes certain limitations on the values of the scalars.

peripatein said:
As for the two spans to be equal certain conditions must be met, i.e. a system of equations must be solved which imposes certain limitations on the values of the scalars.

That's pretty vague. You wrote a system of equations. One conclusion of that was that if v=a1v1+a2v2+a3v3+a4v4 then v can only be in Sp{v1-v2,v2-v3,v3-v4,v4-v1} if a1+a2+a3+a4=0. Is that condition true for any vectors in Sp{v1,v2,v3,v4}? Is it untrue for any vectors in the span?

My point was that since you are given that v1, v2, v3, b4 are independent, the subspace they span has dimension 4. The other 4 vectors, v1-v2,v2-v3,v3-v4,v4-v1, will span that subset if and only if they are independent.

Okay, so I have therefore tried showing that b1(v1-v2)+b2(v2-v3)+b3(v3-v4)+b4(v4-v1)=0, implies b1=b2=b3=b4=0 (for linear independence). However, based on the fact that a1v1+a2v2+a3v3+a4v4=0 for a1=a2=a3=a4=0, all I got was that b1=b2=b3=b4=any real number (i.e. not necessarily zero)! How shall I proceed?

peripatein said:
Okay, so I have therefore tried showing that b1(v1-v2)+b2(v2-v3)+b3(v3-v4)+b4(v4-v1)=0, implies b1=b2=b3=b4=0 (for linear independence). However, based on the fact that a1v1+a2v2+a3v3+a4v4=0 for a1=a2=a3=a4=0, all I got was that b1=b2=b3=b4=any real number (i.e. not necessarily zero)! How shall I proceed?

Good job. Wouldn't that show that they are NOT linearly independent?

I was somehow under the impression that U WAS in fact equal to W, so I did expect linear independence in both cases. Is the conclusion then that U is necessarily not equal to W?

peripatein said:
I was somehow under the impression that U WAS in fact equal to W, so I did expect linear independence in both cases. Is the conclusion then that U is necessarily not equal to W?

Yes, U isn't equal to W. And not even 'necessarily'. It just plain isn't. (v1-v2)+(v2-v3)+(v3-v4)+(v4-v1)=0. That doesn't sound linearly independent to me.

Thanks! :-)

What is the definition of equality between subspaces?

Equality between subspaces refers to the concept that two subspaces are considered equal if they have the same elements and follow the same operations. This means that every vector in one subspace can be found in the other subspace, and vice versa.

How is equality between subspaces determined?

To determine equality between subspaces, one must compare the dimensions of the subspaces. If the dimensions are the same, then the subspaces are considered equal. Additionally, the basis vectors of the subspaces must also be compared to ensure they are the same.

What is the significance of equality between subspaces?

Equality between subspaces is significant because it allows for easier manipulation and understanding of vector spaces. It also helps in identifying the relationship between different subspaces and their properties.

Can subspaces be equal even if they have different bases?

Yes, subspaces can be equal even if they have different bases. This is because the bases only need to span the same vector space, and they do not necessarily have to be the same set of vectors. As long as the dimension and operations of the subspaces are the same, they can be considered equal.

What are the implications of subspaces being equal?

If subspaces are equal, it means that they have the same span and operations, which allows for easier computation and manipulation of vectors within those subspaces. It also allows for easier identification of relationships and patterns between different subspaces.