Question about the Majorana mass term

In summary, the Majorana mass term in the Lagrangian is expressed as 1/2m(\chi^T\epsilon\chi + h.c.) where \chi is the Weyl spinor and \epsilon is the antisymmetric tensor. However, when calculating this expression, a mistake was made in assuming \epsilon^T = -\epsilon due to Grassmann statistics. The correct calculation shows that the term does not vanish and there is no 22-component in the expression.
phypar
The Majorana mass term is expressed from a single Weyl spinor. But I am a little confused by the expression. For example, see Eq. (2) in http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-ph/0410370v2.pdf

[itex]\mathcal{L}=\frac{1}{2}m(\chi^T\epsilon \chi+h.c.)[/itex]

Here [itex]\chi[/itex] is the Weyl spinor and [itex]\epsilon = i\sigma^2 [/itex] is the antisymmetric tensor.

But when I do a simple calculation:
[itex]\chi^T\epsilon \chi =(\chi^T\epsilon \chi)^T = \chi^T(-\epsilon) \chi [/itex]

Here I used [itex]\epsilon^T = -\epsilon[/itex]

therefore [itex]\chi^T\epsilon \chi =0 [/itex]

So can anyone tell me what is wrong here? What is missing here? Thanks a lot

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
you will get an extra minus sign while taking the hemitian conjugate.It is special with σ2.try with a two component spinor of (a b) form explicitly.

Likes 1 person
:confused: I don't see any σ2 in the expression he's given.

It's just χTεχ = χ1χ2 - χ2χ1 ≡ 0.

actually that does not vanish.

Thanks for all the replies. I found the mistake in my calculation. [itex]\chi_1[/itex] and [itex]\chi_2[/itex] are Grassman variables, thus satisfy the anti-commutation relation, which means [itex]\chi_1\chi_2-\chi_2\chi_1 \neq 0[/itex]

In that case, I'm interested in your solution to Exercise 1.4, which says it is zero. :confused:

Bill_K said:
In that case, I'm interested in your solution to Exercise 1.4, which says it is zero. :confused:

Because of the Grassmann statistics, [itex]2\chi_1^a\chi_2^b=\epsilon^{\alpha\beta}\chi^a_\alpha\chi_\beta^b[/itex] is symmetric in [itex]a,b[/itex].

Likes 1 person
A simple calculation yields x12,x22 type term,which are zero.

andrien said:
A simple calculation yields x12,x22 type term,which are zero.

That term cannot appear in the expression in exercise 1.4. What appears in the expression is an [itex]\epsilon_{ab}[/itex] for the internal indices: there's no 22-component!

1. What is the Majorana mass term?

The Majorana mass term is a term in the Lagrangian of a quantum field theory that describes the mass of a Majorana fermion. It is named after the Italian physicist Ettore Majorana, who first proposed the concept of Majorana fermions in 1937.

2. What is a Majorana fermion?

A Majorana fermion is a hypothetical elementary particle that is its own antiparticle. This means that a Majorana fermion and its antiparticle are identical, unlike most other particles that have distinct particle and antiparticle states.

3. How does the Majorana mass term affect particle physics?

The Majorana mass term is important in particle physics as it allows for the existence of neutral fermions, which are particles that have no electric charge. These particles play a crucial role in models of dark matter and could also have implications for the violation of charge-parity symmetry.

4. Can the Majorana mass term be observed in experiments?

The Majorana mass term is difficult to observe directly in experiments, as it is typically very small and only affects particles at very high energies. However, there are ongoing experiments looking for evidence of Majorana fermions, such as the search for neutrinoless double-beta decay, which would provide indirect evidence of the mass term.

5. Are there any practical applications of the Majorana mass term?

While the Majorana mass term is primarily of interest in theoretical physics and particle physics experiments, there are also potential applications in quantum computing. Majorana fermions are being studied as potential building blocks for more stable and fault-tolerant quantum computers.