Runge-lenz vector, constant of motion (Anal. Mechanics)

In summary, the Runge-Lenz vector is a constant of motion used in classical mechanics to describe the motion of an object under a central force. It is calculated by taking the cross product of the position and momentum vectors, and has a physical interpretation as the eccentricity vector of the orbit. In celestial mechanics, it is used to study the orbits of celestial bodies and predict their future positions.
student_I
I have trouble to prove that the Runge-Lenz vector is a constant of motion.
I think that I have to use Noether Theorem, but I don't know how to start.

I hope that someone can help me.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the Runge-Lenz vector?

The Runge-Lenz vector is a mathematical concept used in classical mechanics to describe the motion of an object under a central force, such as gravity. It is named after the German mathematician and physicist Carl Runge and the Austrian physicist Ludwig Lenz.

2. What is the significance of the Runge-Lenz vector?

The Runge-Lenz vector is a constant of motion, meaning that it remains unchanged throughout the motion of the object. This makes it a useful tool for studying the dynamics of a system and understanding how it behaves under different conditions.

3. How is the Runge-Lenz vector calculated?

The Runge-Lenz vector is calculated by taking the cross product of the position vector and the momentum vector of the object, and then subtracting the product of the reduced mass and the angular momentum vector. In mathematical notation, it can be represented as: A = p x r - (m/|r|) x L

4. What is the physical interpretation of the Runge-Lenz vector?

The Runge-Lenz vector has a physical interpretation as the direction and magnitude of the eccentricity vector for the orbit of the object. This means that it provides information about the shape of the orbit and how it deviates from a perfect circle.

5. How is the Runge-Lenz vector used in celestial mechanics?

The Runge-Lenz vector is used to study the orbits of celestial bodies, such as planets, moons, and comets. It can be used to calculate the eccentricity of the orbit and predict future positions of the object. It also helps in understanding the stability of the orbit and how it may change over time.