Analyzing Linear Systems with Complex Eigenvalues: A Case Study

In summary, for the given linear system with complex eigenvalues, the eigenvalues were found to be ±i√2, which makes it a center. The eigenvectors were also determined to be V1 = (i√2, 1) and V2 = (-i√2, 1). To determine the direction of oscillations, the initial value problem can be solved, and the direction of rotation can be determined by looking at the motion of (1,0) in the system. If the matrix is in the form of a b c d, the process would involve reducing the matrix until there are zeroes in the 1x2 and 2x1 spots.
stunner5000pt
For this linear system with complex eigenvalues
a) find the eigenvalues
b) determine whether the origin is a spiral source, sink or center
c) Determine the direction of oscillations, clockwise or anticlockwise

[tex] \frac{dY}{dt} = \left(\begin{array}{cc}0&2\\-2&0\end{array}\right) Y [/tex] with initial conditions [tex] Y_{0} = (1,0) [/tex]

i foudn the eigenvalues to be
[tex] \lambda = \pm i \sqrt{2} [/tex] which would make it a center
also the eigenvectors
[tex] \left(\begin{array}{cc}0&2\\-2&0\end{array}\right) \left(\begin{array}{cc}x\\y\end{array}\right) = \pm i \sqrt{2} \left(\begin{array}{cc}x\\y\end{array}\right) [/tex] i computed to be
[tex] V_{1} = \left(\begin{array}{cc}i\sqrt{2}\\1\end{array}\right) [/tex]
and [tex] V_{1} = -V_{2} [/tex]

i feel i made a mistake in finding the eigenvectors
also what would be the direction of the oscillations then?? Do i solve the Initial value problem to get hte direction of the oscillations??

Physics news on Phys.org
You have V1 correct but V2 is NOT -V1.
[tex] V_{2} = \left(\begin{array}{cc}-i\sqrt{2}\\1\end{array}\right) [/tex]

In order to determine the direction of rotation, look what happens to (1, 0):
dx/dt= 2y= 0 but dy/dt= -2 so the "motion" is downward and the rotation is clearly clockwise.

thank you very much :smile: didnt realize that the dx/dt and dy/dt were the directions of the vector. But what if the matrix was i nthe form
a b
c d then would i have to reduce this till i get zeroes in the 1x2 and 2x1 spots?

1. What are Differential Equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives. They are commonly used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics, to model real-world phenomena and make predictions.

2. What are the types of Differential Equations?

There are several types of differential equations, including ordinary differential equations (ODEs), partial differential equations (PDEs), and stochastic differential equations (SDEs). ODEs involve a single independent variable, while PDEs involve multiple independent variables. SDEs incorporate randomness into the equation.

3. What is the importance of Differential Equations in science?

Differential equations are essential in science because they allow us to model and understand complex systems and phenomena. They are used in various scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, biology, and economics, to make predictions and solve problems.

4. How are Differential Equations solved?

Differential equations can be solved analytically or numerically. Analytical solutions involve finding an exact expression for the function, while numerical solutions involve using algorithms and computers to approximate the solution. The type of solution method depends on the complexity of the equation and the available resources.

5. What are some real-life applications of Differential Equations?

Differential equations have numerous real-life applications, such as modeling population growth, predicting weather patterns, designing electric circuits, and analyzing chemical reactions. They are also used in fields such as medicine, finance, and engineering to make predictions and solve problems.