How Fast Must a High Jumper Launch to Clear 2.10m?

• Thread starter vietknight
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the question is asking for the minimum speed needed for a high jumper to raise their center of mass by 2.10m and cross the bar with a speed of 0.8m/s. The solution involves finding the vertical and diagonal vectors, as well as taking into account the constant force of gravity. The answer is approximately 6.47m/s.
vietknight
With what minimum speed must a high jumper leave the ground to raise his center of mass by 2.10m and cross the bar with a speed of 0.8m/s?

For this question, I'm not sure how to proceed, and if its surely the correct way to do so but here's what I've done.

Since the jumper is crossing the bar at 0.8m/s, I know that the vertical vector is 0.8m/s. But the diagonal vector, similar to one in a horizontally launched projectile, I am having trouble determining. I feel there is not enough information for me to answer this question. If I knew the distance travelled, or time in the air, or even an angle of launch it might be able to lead me somewhere. Anyone see a solution with only those values given?

thx

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I found the answer, mass is negliable because it doesn't affect the falling speed of the object. All things fall at the same rate due to the constant gravity. Just like, if you have a frictionless ramp, there is nothing opposing the object from rolling down it, hence its similar to an object in free fall.

I got my ans outt o 6.47m/s if you guys want to do it yourselves.

for the help!

I understand your confusion and the difficulty in solving this problem with the limited information provided. In order to accurately calculate the minimum speed required for the high jumper to clear the bar, we would need to know the distance the jumper is travelling and the time in the air. Additionally, knowing the angle of launch would also be helpful in determining the initial velocity required. Without this information, it would be difficult to provide a precise answer.

One way to approach this problem is to use the equation for projectile motion, which takes into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and time in the air. However, without these values, we cannot accurately calculate the minimum speed required.

In a real-life scenario, high jumpers use a combination of techniques, such as the Fosbury Flop or the Scissors jump, to clear the bar. These techniques involve a combination of speed, technique, and body positioning, which all play a role in the success of the jump. Therefore, it is not solely dependent on the minimum speed required, but also on the skill and technique of the high jumper.

In conclusion, without the necessary information, it is not possible to accurately determine the minimum speed required for the high jumper to clear the bar. More information, such as the distance travelled, time in the air, and angle of launch, would be needed to solve this problem. As scientists, we must always consider the limitations of the data and strive to obtain as much information as possible in order to make accurate calculations and predictions.

1. How does a high jumper clear the bar?

A high jumper uses a combination of techniques, including the Fosbury Flop or the Scissors technique, to clear the bar. These techniques involve a curved approach, a powerful takeoff, and a controlled arch over the bar.

2. What factors affect a high jumper's performance?

The main factors that affect a high jumper's performance are their speed, strength, technique, and flexibility. Other factors that can influence their performance include weather conditions, equipment, and mental focus.

3. How does a high jumper generate enough height to clear the bar?

A high jumper generates enough height by converting their horizontal speed into vertical lift through the takeoff phase. This requires a powerful and explosive takeoff, along with the use of their arms and legs to propel them upwards.

4. What role does physics play in high jumping?

Physics plays a crucial role in high jumping as it governs the laws of motion and the forces acting on the body. Understanding concepts such as momentum, center of mass, and energy transfer can help a high jumper optimize their technique and improve their performance.

5. How has technology impacted high jumping?

Technology has had a significant impact on high jumping, with advancements in equipment and training methods leading to higher and more consistent jumps. The use of video analysis, force plates, and motion tracking devices has also allowed for a better understanding of the biomechanics involved in high jumping.