Doppler Shift/ Doppler effect HELP

In summary, the relative speed between the police car and the ambulance is 174 km/h. The doppler shift (Δf = f′–f) is detected by the radar gun after the radiowave has been reflected by the ambulance. The wavelength of the radiowave is 0.0440 m.
Roaku
Doppler Shift/ Doppler effect! HELP

1. A police car is traveling at a constant speed of 110. km/h with a radar gun which generates and detects radiowaves. The police car and the ambulance drive directly towards each other. The radar gun produces radiowaves with a wavelength of 0.0440 m.
An ambulance is traveling at 64.0 km/h towards an intersection
The ambulance has a siren which produces sound at a frequency of 4.30 kHz. Assume the speed of sound in air is 340. m/s.

(i) What is the relative speed between the police car and the ambulance?

(ii) What doppler shift (Δf = f′–f) is detected by the radar gun after the radiowave has been reflected by the ambulance?

Homework Equations

relative speed = v1 + v2

f obs = fs ((vw + v obs) / (vw + vs))
Vw = 340 m/s (speed of sound...)
v obs = 64km/h (17.778 m/s)
vs = 110 km/h (30.556 m/s)
fs = 4.3 kHz

(Δf = f′–f)
f = 4.3 kHz

v = fλ (I got λ = 0. 044 so what am I using it for??)

The Attempt at a Solution

A) Easy 110 +64 = 174 km/h

B) The problem child.
I plug in with the equation above, with + because the ambulance and the police are moving towards each other, but I don't get the right answer (2,200 Hz)
I know I need to find Δf, but how do I go about to find it? Why is this equation not working, and which equation am I meant to use? Whats the radar wavelength for? How do I implement it?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Roaku said:
Vw = 340 m/s (speed of sound...)
v obs = 64km/h (17.778 m/s)
vs = 110 km/h (30.556 m/s)
fs = 4.3 kHz

you have taken a wrong value of Vs. Check it.

darkxponent said:
you have taken a wrong value of Vs. Check it.

What do you mean?
I don't understand.
Vs is the source, and the ambulance is the source of the siren sound.
It is traveling towards the observer which is the police car (with the radar detector of λ wavelength)...

If the ambulance isn't the source, then what is? The police car?
Then the ambulance is the observer?
I'm so confused...

The sound wave is changing frequency twice. One the frequency observed by the observor in ambulance. Another one is the that observed b ht observor in the police car(that is radar detector). So the equation

will be used twice.

NOTE: Use the values of Vs and Vobs carefully as the observor and the source is changing and keep in mind when the value will be taken negative/positive

Okay,
so I'm meant to use the equation twice.

In that case,
f obs (police) = fs (( vw + vobs) / (vw + vs ) )

I keep fs = 4.3kHz and as both sources are still going towards each other (+)
vw = 340 m/s
V obs (detector) = v = fλ = 4,300 * 0.044 = 189.2 km/h (?) (52.56 m/s)
Vs = 64 km/ h (17.778 m/s)

f (obs police) = 4.718 kHz

f obs (ambulance) = fs (( vw + vobs) / (vw + vs ) )

As above keep vw and (+)
v/λ = fs = 110 km/h * 0.044 = 1.34 kHz (?)
Swap Vobs = 64 km/h (17.778 m/s)
vs (police) = 110 km/h (30.558 m/s)

f (obs ambulance) = 1.293 kHz

Δf = 4.718 - 1.293 = 3.42 kHz ? (not the right answer of 2,200 Hz)...

Mind pointing out what I'm getting wrong?

I give up.
Don't get it.
Good luck to the rest!

What is Doppler Shift/ Doppler Effect?

The Doppler Shift, also known as the Doppler Effect, is the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave in relation to an observer who is moving relative to the source of the wave. This effect is commonly observed in sound waves, light waves, and other types of waves.

What causes the Doppler Shift?

The Doppler Shift is caused by the relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer. If the source is moving towards the observer, the frequency of the wave will appear higher, and if the source is moving away from the observer, the frequency will appear lower. This is due to the compression or stretching of the waves as the source moves closer or farther away.

How is the Doppler Shift used in science?

The Doppler Shift is used in various fields of science, including astronomy, meteorology, and physics. In astronomy, it is used to measure the speed and direction of celestial objects, such as stars and galaxies. In meteorology, it is used to track the movement of storms and weather patterns. In physics, it is used to study the properties of waves and to measure the speed of objects.

What is the difference between the Doppler Shift and the Doppler Effect?

The terms "Doppler Shift" and "Doppler Effect" are often used interchangeably, but there is a slight difference between the two. The Doppler Shift refers specifically to the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave, while the Doppler Effect refers to the overall phenomenon of the change in frequency or wavelength due to relative motion between the source and the observer.

Can the Doppler Shift be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the Doppler Shift can be observed in everyday life. For example, you may have noticed the change in pitch of a passing ambulance siren as it approaches and then moves away from you. This is due to the Doppler Shift. The Doppler Shift is also observed in the changing colors of a police car's flashing lights as it moves closer or farther away from you.