Find the greatest and least values

• Thread starter utkarshakash
  • Start date
In summary: For a function continuous on a closed interval, where can the possible maximum and minimum points occur? What is the domain in this problem?The domain in this problem is the entire real number line.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find the greatest and least values of the function [itex]f(x)=(sin^{-1}x)^3 +(cos^{-1}x)^3[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Setting f'(x)=0 and solving I get [itex]|sin^{-1}x|=|cos^{-1}x|[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
What does ##sin^{-1}{x}## mean? The remainder of the question is a test of your intuition. I hope no one gives too much help.

utkarshakash said:

Homework Statement

Find the greatest and least values of the function [itex]f(x)=(sin^{-1}x)^3 +(cos^{-1}x)^3[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Setting f'(x)=0 and solving I get [itex]|sin^{-1}x|=|cos^{-1}x|[/itex]

The notation ##\sin^{-1} x## is equally likely to mean ##1/ \sin\, x## or ##\arcsin\, x##. After all, the notation ##\sin^n x## is taken to mean ##(\sin \, x)^n## whenever ##n \neq -1##! So, which do you mean?

Ray Vickson said:
The notation ##\sin^{-1} x## is equally likely to mean ##1/ \sin\, x## or ##\arcsin\, x##. After all, the notation ##\sin^n x## is taken to mean ##(\sin \, x)^n## whenever ##n \neq -1##! So, which do you mean?

I mean arcsin x.

So have you looked at the graphs of |arcsin(x)| and |arccos(x)|?

LCKurtz said:
So have you looked at the graphs of |arcsin(x)| and |arccos(x)|?
I get x= 0.707 by plotting the graph. But I need two values.

Last edited:
Say, there is a point (x,y) where |asin(x)|=|acos(x)|=y, what does that say about sin(y) and cos(y)? Can you use that?

utkarshakash said:
I get x= 0.707 by plotting the graph. But I need two values.

Can you use analysis to get the exact value?

For a function continuous on a closed interval, where can the possible maximum and minimum points occur? What is the domain in this problem?

jeppetrost said:
Say, there is a point (x,y) where |asin(x)|=|acos(x)|=y, what does that say about sin(y) and cos(y)? Can you use that?

I am thinking it the other way. I can rewrite the original expression as
[itex]\pi /2 \left( \pi ^2 /4 - 3sin^{-1} x cos^{-1} x \right) [/itex]

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of finding the greatest and least values?

The purpose of finding the greatest and least values is to identify the maximum and minimum values in a given set of data. This is useful in analyzing the data and understanding its range and distribution.

2. How do you find the greatest and least values in a set of data?

To find the greatest and least values in a set of data, you can arrange the data in ascending or descending order and then select the first and last values, respectively. Alternatively, you can also use mathematical formulas or functions, such as MAX() and MIN(), in spreadsheet software to automatically find these values.

3. Can there be more than one greatest or least value in a set of data?

Yes, there can be more than one greatest or least value in a set of data. This can happen if there are ties or repeated values in the data set.

4. How can finding the greatest and least values help in data analysis?

Finding the greatest and least values can help in data analysis by providing insights into the range and distribution of the data. It can also help in identifying any outliers or extreme values that may affect the overall analysis.

5. Are there any limitations to using the greatest and least values in data analysis?

Yes, there are limitations to using the greatest and least values in data analysis. These values only represent a small portion of the data and may not accurately reflect the overall trends or patterns in the data. It is important to also consider other statistical measures and visualizations in data analysis for a more comprehensive understanding.