Non Separative Diff-EQ problem

• Thread starter ashketchumall
  • Start date
In summary, a non separative differential equation problem is a mathematical problem where the solution cannot be found by separating the variables. This is often due to the presence of higher order derivatives or non-linear terms. To solve these types of equations, numerical or analytical methods can be used. A differential equation is considered non separative if it cannot be solved by separating the variables and integrating. Non separative differential equations have various applications in science and engineering, including modeling population growth, chemical reactions, and predicting future behavior of systems.
ashketchumall
The problem I'm given is - I think this is a non separable equation
dy/dx=x-y ... u=x-y
I tried Substituting, where
x-y=u
1-dy/dx=du/dx
(remember above statement u=x-y, and dy/dx=x-y)
therefore, I got 1-u=du/dx and then I solved it from there by integrating since I think once it's in this form it becomes separable. But I get the answer of

1-(e^x)+x+c=y which when I checked with wolfram differential eq calculator is a little off
the differential calculator gives me this answer c1(e^-x)+x-1

I have solved this several times now, I'm so close I just don't know where I'm making the mistake. Any help will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
ashketchumall said:
The problem I'm given is - I think this is a non separable equation
dy/dx=x-y ... u=x-y
I tried Substituting, where
x-y=u
1-dy/dx=du/dx
(remember above statement u=x-y, and dy/dx=x-y)
therefore, I got 1-u=du/dx and then I solved it from there by integrating since I think once it's in this form it becomes separable. But I get the answer of

1-(e^x)+x+c=y which when I checked with wolfram differential eq calculator is a little off
the differential calculator gives me this answer c1(e^-x)+x-1
The separable equation is
du/(u - 1) = -dx
Integrating both sides gives
ln|u - 1| = -x + C
Exponentiating (and this is where you made your mistake, I believe) gives

|u - 1| = e-x + C = eC * e-x = C1e-x
ashketchumall said:
I have solved this several times now, I'm so close I just don't know where I'm making the mistake. Any help will be appreciated.

BTW, homework-type problems should be posted in the Homework & Coursework section, not in the technical math sections. I am moving this thread now.

If you have had linear equations, just rewrite it as ##y'+y = x## and solve it with an integrating factor.

LCKurtz said:
If you have had linear equations, just rewrite it as ##y'+y = x## and solve it with an integrating factor.

How can you do that?? I don't understand what you are saying.

Mark44 said:
The separable equation is
du/(u - 1) = -dx
Integrating both sides gives
ln|u - 1| = -x + C
Exponentiating (and this is where you made your mistake, I believe) gives

|u - 1| = e-x + C = eC * e-x = C1e-x

BTW, homework-type problems should be posted in the Homework & Coursework section, not in the technical math sections. I am moving this thread now.

I understood what you did there, but it still gives me y= -c*e^(-x)+x-1, the negative in front of the constant still technically makes the answer wrong. But Thanx for your help. I appreciate it.

LCKurtz said:

ashketchumall said:

Have you studied first order linear equations? If not, then you wouldn't be expected to understand. If you have studied them, perhaps you should review them.

ashketchumall said:
I understood what you did there, but it still gives me y= -c*e^(-x)+x-1, the negative in front of the constant still technically makes the answer wrong. But Thanx for your help. I appreciate it.
It's hard to believe you are serious. Since C can be any constant, [itex]-c e^{-x}+ x- 1[/itex] is exactly the same solution as [itex]c e^{-x}+ x- 1[/itex]. Just with different "c". If, for example, c= 1 in the first, then c= -1 in the second.

Last edited by a moderator:
ashketchumall said:
Your equation is y'+ y= x. That is "linear" and so it is simple to find an "integrating factor", a function, u(x), such that mutiplying by it makes the left side an "exact derivative", d(uy)/dx.

By the product rule, (uy)'= uy'+ u'y. Just multiplying the left side of the equation by u would give uy'+ uy. Comparing those, uy'+ u'y= uy'+ uy, reduces to u'= u which has solution [itex]u= e^x[/itex].

So multiplying the entire equation by [itex]e^x[/itex] gives [itex]e^xy'+ e^xy= (e^xy)'= xe^x.

Now just integrate both sides.

1. What is a non separative differential equation problem?

A non separative differential equation problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the solution to a differential equation where the variables cannot be separated. This means that the equation cannot be solved by isolating the variables on different sides of the equal sign.

2. What makes a differential equation non separative?

A differential equation is considered non separative when the variables cannot be separated by algebraic manipulation. This is often due to the presence of higher order derivatives or non-linear terms in the equation.

3. What methods can be used to solve non separative differential equations?

There are several methods that can be used to solve non separative differential equations, such as numerical methods like Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods, or analytical methods like power series or Laplace transforms.

4. How do you know if a differential equation is non separative?

A differential equation is considered non separative if it cannot be solved by separating the variables and integrating. This can often be determined by examining the form of the equation and looking for patterns or characteristics that indicate non separability.

5. What applications do non separative differential equations have in science and engineering?

Non separative differential equations are used to model a wide range of phenomena in science and engineering, including population growth, chemical reactions, fluid dynamics, and electrical circuits. They are also important in solving optimization problems and predicting future behavior of systems.