What universities in Australia offer a PhD in Astronomy?

In summary, the conversation discusses a person's interest in pursuing a PhD in Astronomy, specifically in observational or radio astronomy, in Australia. They are seeking help in finding universities in Australia that offer a doctorate in this field, as well as other names or suggestions for potential programs. It is mentioned that while there are several radio observatories in Australia, not all of them are owned by Australian universities. The Australian National University is suggested as a potential option for a PhD in Astronomy.
subny
Hi

I am a Physics masters student from India in a college in Texas.

I want to pursue a PhD in Astronomy (observational/radio) Australia.

I have heard Australia is very good at obs astronomy - however google searches are revealing a lot about the telescopes and other facilities there but not much about the names of the Universities that offer a doctorate in Radio astronomy.

To that end I want to approach the forum members for some help - does anyone of you know which are the universities in Australia to which we can apply for a doctorate in Astronomy.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no doctorate in radio astronomy. You're just looking for PhD programs in astronomy at a school where a few people do radio research. While there are a few radio observatories in Australia, not all of them are owned by Australian universities. You'll find radio arrays in other countries as well, many of which are owned by US universities.

If I recall correctly, the Australian National University has a good Astronomy program (PhD).

http://www.anu.edu.au

@ Eri - it does not have to be radio astronomy - as long as it some kind of observational astronomy

@chiro - I emails the astronomers there - any other names you may want to share are also welcome.

any new inputs or views?

i guess australia only has curtin, james cook, western australia and swinburne !

1. What is the general process for obtaining a PhD in astronomy in Australia?

The process for obtaining a PhD in astronomy in Australia typically involves completing a Bachelor's degree in a related field (such as physics or astrophysics), followed by a Master's degree. After this, students can apply to a PhD program and begin their research under the supervision of a faculty advisor. The program usually takes 3-4 years to complete and involves coursework, research, and a dissertation defense.

2. What are the admission requirements for a PhD program in astronomy in Australia?

Admission requirements vary between universities, but generally, applicants are expected to have a Bachelor's and/or Master's degree in a related field with a strong academic record. They may also be required to submit letters of recommendation, a research proposal, and/or GRE scores. International students may also need to demonstrate proficiency in English.

3. What are the job prospects for PhD graduates in astronomy in Australia?

The job prospects for PhD graduates in astronomy in Australia are generally good. Many continue on to work in academia as professors or researchers, while others find jobs in government agencies, observatories, or private companies. The demand for astronomers is expected to increase in the coming years, as Australia is home to several world-renowned research facilities and is a leader in astronomical research.

4. Are there any specific funding opportunities for PhD students in astronomy in Australia?

Yes, there are several funding opportunities available for PhD students in astronomy in Australia. Many universities offer scholarships or grants for students enrolled in their PhD programs, and there are also external organizations and government agencies that provide funding for research in this field. It is important for students to research and apply for these opportunities early on in their program.

5. Can international students pursue a PhD in astronomy in Australia?

Yes, international students are welcome to pursue a PhD in astronomy in Australia. However, they may need to meet additional requirements, such as demonstrating proficiency in English and obtaining a student visa. International students may also need to provide proof of financial support for their studies. It is recommended that international students contact their desired university for specific requirements and application procedures.