Calculating the Volume of a Diamond Unit Cell

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in calculating the volume per unit cell for a diamond structure. The formula for this volume is given as ##v=a^3 = \left( \frac{8r}{\sqrt{3}} \right)^3##, where ##r## is the radius of an atom. However, the question arises as to how to determine the edge length ##a## of the cube. The conversation concludes that the correct formula is ##a= \frac{8r}{\sqrt{3}}##, obtained by using the diagonal of the cube instead of the diagonal of a square in the Pythagorean theorem.
roam
I have some difficulty understanding how the volume per unit cell for the diamond structure is calculated.

I've seen in various websites that this volume is:

##v=a^3 = \left( \frac{8r}{\sqrt{3}} \right)^3##

Here ##r## is the radius of an atom. But how did they work out ##a## (the edge of the cube)? :confused:

Here is a picture of the structure.

The unit cell has 8 atoms as:

##8 \times \frac{1}{8} + 6 \times \frac{1}{2} + 4 = 8##

But to work out ##a##, I've simply considered one of the faces, in this case the top face of the diagram which looks like a fcc structure.

The diagonal would then be 4r, hence using Pythagoras

##4r = \sqrt{2}a \implies a = 2 \sqrt{2} r##

But my answer is not correct. Any help with this problem is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The two closest atoms in the diamond structure aren't the two on the face of the fcc cell, it's the one in the corner and the one it's nearest inside the cell. See the purple bond in your picture. That distance is 2r.

daveyrocket said:
The two closest atoms in the diamond structure aren't the two on the face of the fcc cell, it's the one in the corner and the one it's nearest inside the cell. See the purple bond in your picture. That distance is 2r.

Thank you for your input. But in that case I will get

##d=8r##

##8r=\sqrt{a^2+a^2} = \sqrt{2} a##

##\therefore a= \frac{8r}{\sqrt{2}} = 4 \sqrt{2} r##

But this is wrong as the answer must be 8r/√3. Where did the ##\sqrt{3}## come from? :confused:

I'm not sure what d is. Is that your diagonal in the cube?
You're using the wrong triangle for the Pythagorean theorem. The diagonal of a cube is not the same length as the diagonal of a square.

Oops, I was using the wrong formula. I used the pythagorean theorem in three dimensions and got the correct solution. Thank you so much for your help! :)

What is the definition of a unit cell?

A unit cell is the smallest repeating unit of a crystal structure that contains all the necessary information to describe the entire crystal lattice.

How is the volume of a diamond unit cell calculated?

The volume of a diamond unit cell is calculated by multiplying the lengths of the three sides of the unit cell. The formula is: volume = length x width x height.

What is the unit of measurement for the volume of a diamond unit cell?

The unit of measurement for the volume of a diamond unit cell is typically expressed in cubic angstroms (Å3) or cubic nanometers (nm3).

How does the volume of a diamond unit cell affect its properties?

The volume of a diamond unit cell affects its density and other physical properties such as hardness and thermal conductivity. A larger volume typically results in a lower density and vice versa.

Can the volume of a diamond unit cell be changed?

The volume of a diamond unit cell can be changed by altering the temperature or pressure. This can result in changes to the crystal structure and properties of the diamond.