Calculating Bearing Load for Linear Slides: Equation and Examples

In summary, to determine the bearing load for a linear slide with two spaced bearings and an extended load off the end, you need to apply the equations of static equilibrium. Assuming both reactions are facing upwards, the sum of forces in the Y direction must equal 0. The sum of moments at point 1 must also equal 0, where anti-clockwise is positive. By solving these equations, the reactions R1 and R2 are found to be -20kg and 50kg, respectively. Relevant examples for applying these equations can be found through research.
tomsdubs

Homework Statement

Need to know the bearing load for a linear slide I'm working on, two spaced bearings with an extended load off the end of the slide.

LWYoV2A.jpg

Homework Equations

What equation do I need to apply? What examples are out there?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to apply the equations of static equilibrium to determine R1 and R2.

I'm still not sure how to apply, I can't find any relevant examples. The two distances are 1.5m and 1m, bearing spread and mass extended.

R1 = 1/2.5*(30*1) = 12kg
R2 = 1/2.5*((30*2.5)+(30*1)) = 42kg

This is how I've done it, if anyone can give me some guidance that'd be great.

Use equilibrium equations

Lets assume both reactions (R1, R2) are facing upwards.

Now we do the sum of forces in the Y direction=0, where upwards is positive.

So, Sum of Fy=0: R1 + R2 - 30=0

Now let's take the sum of the moments at point 1 equal to zero, where anti-clockwise is positive.

So, Sum of M1=0: (1.5)(R2) -(2.5)(30)= 0
(1.5)(R2)=75
R2= 75/1.5
R2=50kg

Substituting in the 1st equation:

R1 + 50 -30 =0
R1 +20=0
R1= -20kg

So your reactions R1 and R2 are -20kg, 50kg respectively.

Likes 1 person
Thanks I understand now, appreciate your help.

1. What is the bearing load beam equation?

The bearing load beam equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the maximum load that a beam can support without failing. It takes into account factors such as the material properties of the beam, its dimensions, and the applied loads.

2. How is the bearing load beam equation derived?

The bearing load beam equation is derived from the principles of mechanics, specifically the equations of static equilibrium. It is based on the assumption that the beam is in a state of static equilibrium, meaning that the forces acting on it are balanced.

3. What are the variables in the bearing load beam equation?

The variables in the bearing load beam equation include the material properties of the beam (such as Young's modulus and moment of inertia), the beam's dimensions (such as length and cross-sectional area), and the applied loads (such as point loads or distributed loads).

4. How accurate is the bearing load beam equation?

The accuracy of the bearing load beam equation depends on the assumptions and simplifications made in its derivation. In real-world applications, there may be other factors that can affect the beam's load bearing capacity, such as imperfections in the material or the presence of additional supports. Therefore, it is important to use the equation as a guide and consider all relevant factors when designing a beam.

5. How is the bearing load beam equation used in engineering?

The bearing load beam equation is a fundamental tool in structural engineering, used to determine the maximum load that a beam can support and ensure that it is within safe limits. It is often used in the design of structures such as bridges, buildings, and mechanical components. Engineers can also use the equation to optimize beam designs and select the most suitable materials for a given application.