Best Aerospace Colleges: Comparing University Options

In summary: All have great aerospace programs.In summary, the best universities for studying aerospace engineering are USC, UIUC, Ga. Tech, Embry-Riddle, UFl, UMd.
SeleneS
Hello I am a senior in high school and intend to study aerospace engineering at university.I have some university options but it would be very helpful if someone can provide me informtion about how well the departments are in those universites?
My choices are
-University of Southern California
-Georgia Institute of Tech
-University of Illinois at Urbana
-University of Notre Dame
-University of Maryland
-Boston University
-University of Washington in St Louis
-Rensselaer Polytechnic
-Universersity of Syracuse
-University of Virginia
--Purdue
-UCLA
-University of Califorbia Davis
-University of Califorbia San Diego
-University of Califorbia Irvine
-Worcester Polytechnic Institute

Physics news on Phys.org
They're all probably pretty good. Figure out what part of aerospace you are interested in and look up the school's curriculum or talk to an advisor there to see which one(s) best fit your interest.

You should also look into which ones offer an Aero/Mech dual degree, in case you decide later on that you want to go that route.

I went to Rensselaer and dual majored in Aero/Mech. I found it to be a good program for true aero (they have a decent wind tunnel too), though their aerospace department is still being built up. I wound up using my mechanical degree, rather than my aero degree (though the fluid dynamics stuff has come in really handy in my line of work); but I have a friend who now works at NASA's JPL.

So would you recommend Rensselaer considering its aero department that hasn't been completed yet?

1) It's the only school there that I know. I can't recommend it over the others because I have no experience with those universities. They may have a better department, or their's may be worse. I don't know. I liked RPI's curriculum and professors.

2) It's aero curriculum is fully developed (heehee, a little aero joke) and firmly in place. What I said was their space-focused department is currently being built up. When I went they had one undergraduate course in astrodynamics and a few graduate level courses. I think they've expanded a bit since then. What I meant was that if you are looking into going into space-oriented aeronautical engineering, then perhaps RPI isn't the best fit, assuming that other schools on that list have more developed aerospace programs.

Likes 1 person
Thanks for your answer.But in fact I don't want to become a scientist ,I want to integrate my education into the market .I heard that Rensselaer is one of the top universities with highest salary graduates and has a motto like integrating science into the society.I don't know if that is right but would you recommend it considering this circumstance?

Don't get me wrong, RPI is a great school whether or not you want to be a "scientist". The aero division is great and I know some people who work for Pratt and Whitney, JPL, GE, and others because of the aero program at RPI plus the help of the RPI career center (and of course, because they are hard working, intelligent individuals). But most of these other shools will offer pretty much the same degree of oportunity to succeed in industry. Getting a degree from one of these schools doesn't guarantee you a high paying job in work you love; that you have to work hard for. And, likely all of these schools, if you are motivated and clever enough, will allow you to work toward your goals. I'm not saying pick RPI, I'm saying that since it's on your list, I'll let you know that I went there. I thought they had a great program and if you take advantage of what they have to offer, you'll probably end up doing something interesting. Colleges offer you the tools to make an interesting and lucrative career. They can't/don't just hand it to you.

Hopefully someone else will chime in about another school there. I really suggest looking at the curriculum on their websites and seeing what it is you really want to pursue as a career.

USC, UIUC, Ga. Tech, Embry-Riddle, UFl, UMd.

Are probably the best schools for aero

1. What is the criteria for ranking the best aerospace colleges?

The criteria for ranking the best aerospace colleges typically includes factors such as accreditation, faculty qualifications and experience, research opportunities, curriculum, facilities and resources, industry partnerships, and job placement rates. These factors vary depending on different ranking systems and may also include student satisfaction and alumni success.

2. How do I know if a specific aerospace college is reputable?

To determine if a specific aerospace college is reputable, you can research its accreditation status, faculty credentials and research experience, industry partnerships and collaborations, and alumni success rates. It may also be helpful to read reviews and rankings from reputable sources.

3. What are some top-ranked aerospace colleges in the United States?

Some of the top-ranked aerospace colleges in the United States include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Georgia Institute of Technology, California Institute of Technology (Caltech), University of Michigan, and Purdue University. These colleges are known for their strong aerospace programs and research opportunities.

4. Are there any factors to consider when choosing between different aerospace colleges?

When choosing between different aerospace colleges, it is important to consider factors such as the specific focus and strengths of the program, location and access to industry partners, opportunities for hands-on experience and research, and the overall cost and financial aid options. It is also important to consider the faculty and student community, as well as the career opportunities available after graduation.

5. Can I pursue a career in aerospace with a degree from a non-specialized college?

Although it is possible to enter the aerospace industry with a degree from a non-specialized college, it may be more challenging to compete with graduates from top-ranked aerospace colleges. Specialized aerospace programs often offer more focused and advanced coursework, as well as research and networking opportunities within the industry. However, with determination and relevant experience, it is possible to pursue a career in aerospace with a degree from a non-specialized college.