Help Solving for X (Easy I think)

• Thread starter Magnawolf
  • Start date
In summary, "solving for x" means finding the value of the variable x in an equation or problem by isolating it on one side and performing necessary operations. To solve for x, perform the same operation on both sides of the equation. An example of solving for x is 2x + 3 = 9, where x = 3. Common strategies include combining like terms, factoring, and using properties of equality. Resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and math tutors are available for help with solving for x.
Magnawolf
sinxcosx+[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]sin2x = 0.0392

I can't figure out how to solve for x on this one...

I tried sin2x = cosxsinx but still can't get anywhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
In future posts, don't discard the homework template.

For this problem, I don't see an easy analytic solution that would allow writing the left-hand side in terms of either sin(x) or cos(x). Having said that, there are lots of numerical methods that would give an approximate solution.

Magnawolf said:
sinxcosx+[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]sin2x = 0.0392

I can't figure out how to solve for x on this one...

I tried sin2x = cosxsinx but still can't get anywhere.

Hopefully you mean ##\sin(2x) = 2\sin x\cos x##. Were you given the right side as .0392 or is that a decimal approximation to what you were actually given? Anyway, calling that constant ##k##, you can write your equation as$$
\frac{\sin(2x)}{2} + \frac 1 2(\frac{1-\cos(2x)}{2})=k$$ $$
2\sin(2x) + 1 - \cos(2x) = 4k$$ $$
\frac 2 {\sqrt 5}\sin(2x) - \frac 1 {\sqrt 5}\cos(2x) = \frac {4k-1}{\sqrt 5}$$
You can write that as a single trig function of ##2x## plus a phase angle using an addition formula. You will at least symbolically be able to solve for ##x## although you may need a calculator to evaluate it exactly.

1. What is the definition of "solving for x"?

"Solving for x" means finding the value of the variable x in an equation or problem. This is typically done by isolating x on one side of the equation and performing the necessary operations to determine its value.

2. How do I solve for x in an equation?

To solve for x in an equation, you must perform the same operation on both sides of the equation to isolate x. This could involve addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division. Once x is isolated, you can determine its value by evaluating the remaining expression.

3. Can you provide an example of solving for x?

For example, in the equation 2x + 3 = 9, we can solve for x by subtracting 3 from both sides to get 2x = 6. Then, we divide both sides by 2 to isolate x, giving us x = 3. Therefore, the solution to the equation is x = 3.

4. What are some common strategies for solving equations for x?

Some common strategies for solving equations for x include combining like terms, factoring, and using the properties of equality. It is also helpful to check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation to ensure it is correct.

5. Are there any resources available to help with solving for x?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with solving for x, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and math problem-solving tools. You can also seek help from a math tutor or teacher for further guidance and practice.