Vertically Stretched Spring w/ Hanging Mass.

In summary, a 2.5kg mass is attached to a spring with a k value of 53 N/m and the spring is initially at the 15cm mark on a ruler. The problem revolves around finding the location of the end of the spring on the ruler after the mass is attached. Using equations for potential elastic energy and force of tension, the location of the end of the spring can be determined by finding the stretch of the spring and the force exerted on the mass by the spring. Different methods such as conservation of energy and kinematics can be used to solve for these values, but a blueprint for getting the answer is needed.
rmiller70015

Homework Statement

A spring with a k=53N/m hangs vertically next to a ruler. The end of the spring is next to the 15cm mark on the ruler. If a 2.5kg mass is now attached to the end of the spring, where will the end of the spring line up with the ruler marks?

k=53 N/m
m=2.5m
y0=0.15m

Homework Equations

Potential Elastic Energy =1/2kx^2
1/2kx = Fnet

The Attempt at a Solution

Drew a diagram with a spring and mass at two different positions. Having trouble getting the force of tension when the spring is at equilibrium (FT1. But I've tried using conservation of energy, but can't figure out how to get either the acceleration at equilibrium or the force of tension at the spring's equilibrium. I've also tried using kinematics, but without either a time interval or acceleration I can't get a value for V1. Other than that I've tried a number of different ways of substituting equations into other equations to try to get some of these missing values, but I can't seem to get what I am looking for. I'm looking for a blueprint for how to get the answer to this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
If x0(=15 cm) represents the location of the bottom of the spring when no weight is attached, and x represents the location of the bottom of the spring when the weight is attached, how much has the spring stretched? What is the force exerted by the spring on the mass? From a FBD, how does this compare with the weight of the mass (assuming the mass has been moved downward by hand)?

chet

1. What is a vertically stretched spring with hanging mass?

A vertically stretched spring with hanging mass is a physical system in which a spring is attached to a fixed point at one end and a mass is attached to the other end. The system is then allowed to hang vertically, creating a stretched spring due to the weight of the mass.

2. What is the purpose of studying this system?

The purpose of studying a vertically stretched spring with hanging mass is to understand the principles of elasticity and the behavior of springs under different forces. This system is also commonly used to demonstrate concepts such as Hooke's law and simple harmonic motion.

3. How does the spring behave in this system?

The spring in a vertically stretched spring with hanging mass system behaves according to Hooke's law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement from its equilibrium position. As the mass attached to the spring is pulled down, the spring stretches and exerts a restoring force upwards.

4. What factors affect the behavior of this system?

The behavior of a vertically stretched spring with hanging mass system is affected by several factors, including the stiffness of the spring, the weight of the hanging mass, and the displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position. Additionally, any external forces acting on the system, such as air resistance, can also influence its behavior.

5. What are some real-life applications of this system?

The vertically stretched spring with hanging mass system has many real-life applications, including in the design of shock absorbers and suspension systems in vehicles. It is also used in various types of scales, such as bathroom scales and spring scales, to measure weight. Additionally, this system is used in sports equipment, such as trampolines and pogo sticks, to provide a bouncing motion.