Solving log_a(y)^n Homework Problem

• Thread starter Pharrahnox
  • Start date
In summary, the student is trying to solve a problem involving the logarithm of a number, but is having difficulty doing so. The substitution of y = log_10(x) makes it easier to see what is happening, and the student solves the problem correctly.
Pharrahnox

Homework Statement

I am wondering how you are meant to solve something like log_10(x)^2 = 0. What does multiplying and dividing do to the log function algebraically, I can easily tyoe into a calculator, but I don't know how to work it out on paper. My textbook does not cover how to do these types of questions, but it does have those types of questions.

Homework Equations

The other log rules, maybe?

The Attempt at a Solution

It can be re-written as log_10(x)*log_10(x), but it really doesn't get me very far. I have tried a whole bunch of different methods, including rearranging some of the log rules, but to no avail.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pharrahnox said:

Homework Statement

I am wondering how you are meant to solve something like log_10(x)^2 = 0. What does multiplying and dividing do to the log function algebraically, I can easily tyoe into a calculator, but I don't know how to work it out on paper. My textbook does not cover how to do these types of questions, but it does have those types of questions.

Homework Equations

The other log rules, maybe?

The Attempt at a Solution

It can be re-written as log_10(x)*log_10(x), but it really doesn't get me very far. I have tried a whole bunch of different methods, including rearranging some of the log rules, but to no avail.

If you want to solve [itex]n^2=0[/itex] then what's the only value that n can possibly be?

Sorry, that was a bad example. An example that is actually what I'm looking to work out is:
(log_10(x))^2 - 2log_10(x) - 3 = 0

So what I have done is changed 2log_10(x) into log_10(x^2) and 3 into log_10(1000)

It now looks like this: log_10(x)^2 - log_10(x^2) - log_10(1000) = 0

So it would be: log_10(x)^2 - log_10(1000x^2) = 0

But what do I do with the log_10(x)^2 part?

Pharrahnox said:
Sorry, that was a bad example. An example that is actually what I'm looking to work out is:
(log_10(x))^2 - 2log_10(x) - 3 = 0

So what I have done is changed 2log_10(x) into log_10(x^2) and 3 into log_10(1000)

It now looks like this: log_10(x)^2 - log_10(x^2) - log_10(1000) = 0

So it would be: log_10(x)^2 - log_10(1000x^2) = 0

But what do I do with the log_10(x)^2 part?

Your method will not work, and it is unnecessary; just put y = log_10(x) and see what you get.

What do you mean by that? Do you mean substitute y = log_10(x) into log_a(y) = x, or actually graph it using y = log_10(x) as the equation?

Pharrahnox said:
What do you mean by that? Do you mean substitute y = log_10(x) into log_a(y) = x, or actually graph it using y = log_10(x) as the equation?

Right now we're doing algebra without the graphing, so stop thinking about graphs for just a moment :wink:

You want to solve

[tex]\left(\log_{10}{x}\right)^2-2\log_{10}{x}-3=0[/tex]

Now for the substitution [itex]y=\log_{10}{x}[/itex] that Ray Vickson mentioned, everywhere you see a [itex]\log_{10}{x}[/itex], replace it for y.

For example, say we might want to solve

[tex](x+1)^2=0[/tex]

and we can't quite figure out what to do. Well, if we substitute y=x+1 then we get

[tex](x+1)^2=(y)^2=y^2=0[/tex]

And now we know how to solve for y, so we get y=0 as the solution, but we want our answer in x, so all we have to do is substitute back in now to get

[tex]y=x+1=0[/tex]

[tex]x=-1[/tex]

So try and see if you can apply the same technique to your problem.

Likes 1 person
Oh, you substitute it like that. I always forget that as a potential way of solving things.

So what I did was substitute log_10(x) for y which gave:
y^2 - 3y +2 = 0
(y - 1)(y-2) = 0
y = 1,2

Then I put that into the y = a^x formula, except the substituted y is actually x here:

y = 10^1 or y = 10^2
y = 10,100

Which is the correct answer in the book. Thankyou very much for your help, and I'll try to remember to use substitution more often.

Pharrahnox said:
Oh, you substitute it like that. I always forget that as a potential way of solving things.

So what I did was substitute log_10(x) for y which gave:
y^2 - 3y +2 = 0
(y - 1)(y-2) = 0
y = 1,2

Then I put that into the y = a^x formula, except the substituted y is actually x here:

y = 10^1 or y = 10^2
y = 10,100

Which is the correct answer in the book. Thankyou very much for your help, and I'll try to remember to use substitution more often.

Good work :smile:

The substitution isn't necessary by the way, but it does help to make things easier to spot. You could have always skip the substitution and done

[tex]\left(\log_{10}{x}\right)^2-3\left(\log_{10}{x}\right)+2=0[/tex]

[tex]\left(\log_{10}{x}-2\right)\left(\log_{10}{x}-1\right)=0[/tex]

[tex]\log_{10}{x}=1,2[/tex]

[tex]x=10^1,10^2=10,100[/tex]

But clearly it's easier to work with the substitution, especially since you're more accustomed to dealing with quadratics in simple single variables like x.

1. What is the first step in solving a log_a(y)^n homework problem?

The first step is to rewrite the logarithm in exponential form as a^n = y. This will help simplify the problem and make it easier to solve.

2. How do I solve for the base a in a log_a(y)^n homework problem?

To solve for the base a, you can use the change of base formula: log_a(y) = log_b(y)/log_b(a). This will allow you to convert the logarithm into a more familiar base, such as base 10 or base e.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve log_a(y)^n homework problems?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve log_a(y)^n homework problems. However, make sure you are familiar with logarithmic properties and how to use your calculator for logarithmic calculations.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving log_a(y)^n homework problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid include forgetting to rewrite the logarithm in exponential form, not applying logarithmic properties correctly, and not simplifying the expression before solving for the variable.

5. Can I solve a log_a(y)^n homework problem without using logarithms?

In most cases, it is not possible to solve a log_a(y)^n homework problem without using logarithms. Logarithms are essential in solving exponential equations and can greatly simplify complex expressions.