Magnetic field due to a solenoid.

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the magnetic field at a point in free space, x meters from the center of a solenoid with a ferromagnetic core. The equation B=μnI/l is used to calculate the field inside the solenoid, but for the field outside, the equation B=(μ°/4∏)[nIr2/2(r2+x2)3/2] is suggested, with the reminder to consider the different mediums and their refractive indexes. The conversation also mentions the importance of adding up the fields due to each turn individually, and provides resources for further information.
PhysicoRaj
Gold Member
Hi.
I have a solenoid, of length l, radius r, which has n turns of copper wire wound on it, carries a current of I amperes, and has a ferromagnetic core of relative permeability μr. How do I determine the magnetic field at a point in free space, x meters from the center of the solenoid?
Also, how to calculate the force of attraction experienced by a ferromagnetic substance(whose magnetic properties are known) due to the same solenoid, placed at that point?
Thanks for any reply.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks.
The problem I came upon was that the field inside the solenoid will be influenced by the permeability of the core whereas the point I wish to measure the field is in a medium of different permeability.
I used B=μnI/l which gives the field inside the solenoid. For the field outside it, what expression should I use so as to switch over to the permeability of free space?

Can I use the below equation(total field by integrating the equation for a current loop) by just replacing μ° by μ°μr?
B=(μ°/4∏)[nIr2/2(r2+x2)3/2]
Wouldn't this mean the point is also in the same medium as the core?

Last edited:
That's pretty much it yeah - remembering how the feld changes at the boundary ... you basically have materials with different refractive indexes.

Likes 1 person
Thanks a lot!

1. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a long, cylindrical coil of wire that is used to create a magnetic field.

2. How is a magnetic field produced by a solenoid?

A magnetic field is created when an electric current flows through the wire in a solenoid. The direction of the magnetic field is determined by the direction of the current.

3. What is the direction of the magnetic field inside a solenoid?

The magnetic field inside a solenoid is uniform and parallel to the axis of the solenoid.

4. How does the number of turns in a solenoid affect the strength of the magnetic field?

The number of turns in a solenoid is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field. The more turns there are, the stronger the magnetic field will be.

5. What is the equation for calculating the magnetic field inside a solenoid?

The equation for the magnetic field inside a solenoid is B = μ₀nI, where μ₀ is the permeability of free space, n is the number of turns per unit length, and I is the current flowing through the solenoid.