Is scalar in adjoint representation always real

In summary, a scalar in adjoint representation is a mathematical object that remains unchanged under transformations and is often represented by a single number or value. It can take on both real and complex values. The key difference between a scalar and a vector in adjoint representation is that a scalar is a single value while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Scalars are commonly used in physics to describe physical quantities and in mathematical formulations to describe system behavior.
karlzr
This is a short question. I don't know why, but somehow I have the impression that scalar in adjoint representation should be real. Now I highly doubt this statement, but I have no idea how to disprove it. Can anyone give me a clear no?
Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
"scalar in the adjoint representation"? If you are asking about scalar fields transforming in the adjoint representation, then the answer is no. The three pi mesons (which are complex fields) transform in the adjoint rep. of SU(2).

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

1. What is a scalar in adjoint representation?

A scalar in adjoint representation refers to a mathematical object that represents a physical quantity or property that remains unchanged under a transformation. It is often represented by a single number or value and can be used to describe the behavior of a system in different coordinate systems or under different operations.

2. Is a scalar in adjoint representation always real?

No, a scalar in adjoint representation can take on complex values as well as real values. The key characteristic of a scalar is that it remains unchanged under transformations, not the type of value it represents.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector in adjoint representation?

A scalar in adjoint representation is a single value that remains unchanged under transformations, while a vector in adjoint representation is a mathematical object that has both magnitude and direction and can change under transformations. Scalars and vectors are often used together to fully describe a system.

4. Can a scalar in adjoint representation have multiple dimensions?

No, a scalar in adjoint representation is a single value and therefore cannot have multiple dimensions. It is often used in contrast to higher-dimensional objects such as vectors or matrices.

5. How is a scalar in adjoint representation used in physics?

Scalars in adjoint representation are frequently used in physics to describe physical quantities such as mass, temperature, energy, and charge. They are also used in various mathematical formulations and equations to describe the behavior of physical systems.