Questions about charging lithium batteries (to prolong battery life)

In summary: There is no benefit to discharging a lithium battery below 20%. In fact, doing so may cause inaccurate battery charge indicators. Instead, charge your lithium battery to 100% and then discharge it to 20%.
samaaa
Hi, I want to know what is the proper methods to prolong lithium battery life:

When Should I recharge the battery(at any level 90%, 70 or 40 etc)?
Should I charging it fully at 100%?

is true that discharging battery below 20% once each month is useful to boost battery life?

Computer science news on Phys.org
thank you

There are a lot of myths about recharging batteries which are holdovers from previous technologies. Nickel-Cadmium batteries and other similar ones would experience capacity degradation if you did partial charges/recharges, but lithium batteries will not.

Your charge indicator is based on the voltage of the battery, which decreases slowly as the battery empties. Near 0% and 100% it sharply drops/rises, so it is only around those areas that your battery indicator is very accurate. From my experience working with lithium batteries it is easier calibrate the charge indicator by charging it up to 100% than it is to discharge it to 0 because there are other effects that kick in near 0% that make it difficult to tell how much charge is really left. It is possible that on consumer electronics they don't actually let you charge/discharge all the way to the top and bottom though, so this advice may not be suitable for your laptop (and in that case it would be easier to tell by discharging it all the way). At any rate I wouldn't worry about trying to calibrate your charge indicator by doing a special charge or discharge unless you are planning on working with your laptop on battery in a situation where it is very critical that you know how much battery life is left; it's not like it will be reporting that you have 80% battery when you really have 20%, just things like reporting you have 40% when you really have 30%.

I can provide some insights on how to properly charge lithium batteries to prolong their life. First, it is important to understand that lithium batteries have a limited number of charge cycles, typically around 500-1000 cycles. This means that every time the battery is fully charged and discharged, it counts as one cycle. Therefore, it is important to use the battery's charge cycles wisely to maximize its lifespan.

In terms of when to recharge the battery, it is generally recommended to recharge it when it reaches around 20% to 30% remaining capacity. Charging it at lower levels, such as 10%, can put more strain on the battery and decrease its lifespan. However, it is not necessary to wait for the battery to completely drain before recharging it. In fact, frequent deep discharges can also reduce the battery's lifespan.

Additionally, it is not necessary to charge the battery to 100% every time. In fact, keeping the battery at a constant high charge level can also decrease its lifespan. It is recommended to charge the battery to around 80% to 90% for daily use. Only charge it to 100% when you know you will need the full capacity, such as before a long trip.

As for the question about discharging the battery below 20% once a month, there is no scientific evidence to support this claim. In fact, frequent deep discharges can be harmful to the battery. It is best to avoid deep discharges and keep the battery at a moderate charge level.

In summary, to prolong the life of a lithium battery, it is recommended to recharge it when it reaches 20% to 30% remaining capacity and avoid frequent deep discharges. It is also important to avoid keeping the battery at a constant high charge level and only charge it to 100% when necessary. By following these guidelines, you can maximize the lifespan of your lithium battery.

What is the best way to charge a lithium battery to prolong its lifespan?

The best way to charge a lithium battery is to use a charger specifically designed for lithium batteries. These chargers use a specialized charging algorithm called "constant current/constant voltage" (CC/CV) which helps regulate the charging process and prevents overcharging. It is also important to charge the battery at a moderate temperature (around 25°C) and avoid extreme temperatures.

How often should I charge my lithium battery?

It is recommended to charge a lithium battery when it reaches around 30% to 40% of its capacity. Frequent partial charges are better for prolonging battery life compared to completely draining the battery or keeping it at maximum charge for extended periods of time.

Is it safe to leave a lithium battery charging overnight?

No, it is not recommended to leave a lithium battery charging overnight. Overcharging can cause damage to the battery and increase the risk of fire or explosion. It is best to monitor the charging process and unplug the battery once it reaches full charge.

Can using a fast charger damage my lithium battery?

Using a fast charger can potentially damage a lithium battery if it is not designed for the specific battery. Fast charging puts extra stress on the battery and can cause overheating, which can decrease the battery's lifespan. It is best to use a charger that is recommended by the battery manufacturer.

How do I know when my lithium battery needs to be replaced?

Lithium batteries have a limited number of charge cycles before they start to degrade. This degradation can result in decreased performance and shorter battery life. It is important to monitor the battery's capacity over time and replace it when it starts to significantly decrease. Some devices also have a battery health indicator that can give you an idea of when the battery needs to be replaced.