Correctly solve this wave related question with step-by-step explanation

• Thread starter Logistics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave
In summary, the sound is louder because you have constructive interference when you are between the two speakers, but when you walk into the area in front of the speakers, you will eventually reach a point where the path difference is half a wavelength and there will be destructive interference.
Logistics
Could someone please have a look at this question+working out and tell me if I did it correctly.

http://people.mail2me.com.au/~benogorancic/que.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Part B is not correct. From part A you should be able to figure out how far apart the speakers are. Think again about what conditions cause destructive interference, and check the formula that represents those conditions.

I'm sorry but I need more info.

This topic is new to me, been reading all day on the net and nothing :(

Logistics said:
I'm sorry but I need more info.

This topic is new to me, been reading all day on the net and nothing :(

Draw a diagram. Part A says you are on a line between the two speakers, 3 meters from the one on the right and 3.5 meteres from the one on the left. You have correctly calculated the wavelength as .5 meters, so at the starting point the path length difference from the two speakers to where you are is one wavelength. That means you have constructive interference, and that is why the sound is louder.

As you walk into the area in front of the speakers, you will eventually reach a point where the path difference is half a wavelength, or 1.5 wavelengths or 2.5 wavelengths. There you will have destructive interference and you will not be abel to hear. You need to figure out the geometry of that. There is a formula for it. It looks similar to the one you tried to use, but that is not quite it. You cannot use the small angle approximation in this problem. I suggest you just look at the distances involved and basic geometry for this first problem. The application of the formula will make more sense after that.

Edit

I looked at this a bit more carefully. The small angle approximation is not so bad after all. I drew a diagram. The solid arcs are whole number wavelengths from the speakers. The dashed arcs are half way in between, so they are n + 1/2 wavelengths from the speakeers. The blue lines trace the points where the path difference from the two speakers is zero wavelengths, one wavelength, or two wavelengths. The thin black straight line is the path you walk on. Where will destructive interference be encountered? How does that relate to the equation for where destructive interference should be found some distance D from the sources and a distance y from the center line?

Here is a different sort of diagram, and an explanation that will help.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/phyopt/slits.html

Attachments

• Interference.jpg
    Interference.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:
OMG finally got it done, can't believe it ended up so simple arggg omg lol

Thanks for your help

Last edited:

1. What is a wave?

A wave is a disturbance that travels through a medium, transferring energy from one point to another without permanently displacing the medium itself.

2. How are waves classified?

Waves can be classified as mechanical or electromagnetic based on how they travel through a medium, and as transverse or longitudinal based on the direction of their oscillations.

3. What are the characteristics of a wave?

The main characteristics of a wave include amplitude, wavelength, frequency, and speed. Amplitude is the maximum displacement of a wave, wavelength is the distance between two consecutive points of the same phase, frequency is the number of cycles per second, and speed is the rate at which a wave travels through a medium.

4. How do waves interact with each other?

Waves can interact with each other through interference, which occurs when two or more waves meet and combine to form a new wave. This can result in either constructive interference, where the waves reinforce each other and produce a larger amplitude, or destructive interference, where the waves cancel each other out and produce a smaller amplitude.

5. What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency?

The relationship between wavelength and frequency is inverse: as the wavelength increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: wavelength = speed/frequency.