What are some recommendations for avant-garde/indie experimental music?

• Music
  • Thread starter dduardo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary: Indie and Tom responds that Indie means Independent. Monique then asks Tom what Indie music he likes and Tom responds that he likes Metallica, The Pixies, The Doors, The Misfits, AFI, Refused, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Tom Waits, Sonic Youth, Metallica, Guns N' Roses, etc. Monique then asks Tom if he's heard Symphony X and Tom responds that he has. Monique then asks Tom if he's ever heard Aghora and Tom responds that he has. Monique then asks Tom if he's heard Gordian Knot and Tom responds that he has. Monique then asks Tom if
dduardo
Staff Emeritus
Right now I'm listening to indie groups such as E.S. Posthumus and Blue Man Group with a mix of new age from David Arkenstone and soundtrack music from gladiator and lord of the rings.

If anyone can recommend good avant-garde / indie experimental, please post the person or group's name. I'm always interested in finding new types music other then what's played on the radio.

Science news on Phys.org
I saw Blue Man Group at the Astor Place Theater a few years ago. Amazing performance!

Have you ever heard Symphony X? I like their cd "V" a lot. [But it's hard to do physics while listening to this, as I "rediscovered" a while ago after posting a completely stupid reply to someone's homework question -- subsequently deleted ].

Since you reminded me of them I just took a look at their website & I see that they are performing at a place called Melkveg in Amsterdam on Oct. 21. Maybe Monique can check them out for you.

Last edited:
If you're into piano, I recommend robert miles' children.

I've run the gamut from GNR,OZZY, and metallica to green day, STP, to billy joel. But lately I've acquired a taste for fusion jazz. Very upbeat, yet mellow

The Pixies, The Doors, The Misfits, AFI, Refused, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Tom Waits, Sonic Youth, Metallica, Guns N' Roses, etc.

I haven't headr much new music in a long time...I would recommend Thursday's newest CD, though...some seriously intense stuff...

If you like acoustic guitar, give a listen to http://www.anetstation.com
out of Antarctica, of all places! There's some really nice music there.

Here's two that you may not have come across:
Have you heard "Anugraha" by Aghora, and "Reflections" by Gordian Knot? Definitely try to find them. I'm pretty sure you'll like them. (Nothing at all like the Antarctica stuff.)

It's not new, but it might qualify as "experimental": if you haven't listened to all of Metallica's S&M CD, do. Same songs appeared on other CD's, but definitely not the same sound. Metallica + Michael Kamen & the SF Symphony make this without doubt one of the best Heavy Metal recordings of all time (even if Lars IS a greedy sob).

And I have to say, no matter how much I want to dislike him, every time I hear Eminem I like what I'm hearing.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the most part, I listen to country/bluegrass music. Sometimes I'll jam to classic rock (Zeppelin, Skynyrd, etc.) and the oldies.

I like Alanis Morissette a LOT because of her lyrics, then I like the sound of the Cranberries, Enya can be good background music and Hindi movie soundtracks for just about anytime.

I wonder though: what exactly is meant with Indie?

Originally posted by Monique
I wonder though: what exactly is meant with Indie?

Indie = Independent

Ahh, things all make sense now

Hindi: OK
Indie: OK

But Cranberries

How can you stand that whining?

gnome symphony x is one of my favorites. I saw them in chicago last year and in a month they are coming to milwaukee! I a huge metal fan, especialy if they have classical roots. You must get their newest album called the odyssey, it blows all the other out of the water. By far their best work.

Bach, mostly The Goldberg Variations (I have about 20 different recordings of this). Also: The Well-Tempered Clavier (in general I enjoy book 2 more than book 1). The English Suites, The French Suites, the bigger, more energetic pieces for organ, and the Brandenbergs. I don't "get" the Cantatas, Masses, and Orgelbuchlein.

My taste in pop is all old stuff: Police + Sting, The B-52s, Steely Dan, Beach Boys, Beatles, REM, and Kate Bush. I like a lot of individual songs by newer people but not necessarily the rest of their stuff.

I think I'll stick with Mozart, Beethoven (classical), some oldies and a bit of classic rock.

Last edited:
I like the 60's the best, both for the rock and the soul. On the one hand, you've got the Beatles, the Stones, Cream, Hendrix and Zeppelin (just starting out then), and on the other you've got the Temps, the Tops, James Brown, and Aretha. It really was an incomparable decade of music, IMO.

I must say though that I cannot stand the Grateful Dead.

Hey Tom, what about the Byrds, Doors, Dylan, Creedence, Crosby,Stills, etal, Pink Floyd?

Originally posted by gnome
Hey Tom, what about the Byrds, Doors, Dylan, Creedence, Crosby,Stills, etal, Pink Floyd?

Never got into the Byrds or Floyd. I think the Doors are ok, but I don't collect their albums. That 2-CD "best of" set is good enough for any Doors fix I might have. I do like Dylan and CSN, and I love Creedence.

Originally posted by gnome
Hindi: OK
Indie: OK

But Cranberries

This comes from a guy who like what he hears when he listens to eminem?

I like lots of rocky stuff but I'll keep it to my top 10s--

older stuff: Beatles, Pink Floyd, Velvet Underground, Zeppelin, Hendrix, Stones, Doors, Grateful Dead (sorry Tom ), Neil Young, King Crimson

newer stuff: Radiohead, The Verve, White Stripes, My Bloody Valentine, sub.bionic, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Soundgarden, Talking Heads, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nirvana

Basically I like straight up good rock but I also love the more ambient/darker stuff when I'm in the right mood.

Fu Manchu, Kyuss, Brant Bjork solo project, Unida, Hermano. Also Incubus and Van Halen. Dancing to 70's disco music is, however, compulsory.

originally posted by DocThis comes from a guy who like what he hears when he listens to eminem?
Hi Doc.

A scientist should always keep an open mind. :smile:

Now, I don't claim he's the next Bob Dylan, and I guess if you are offended by his profanity or white-boy pseudo-ebonics, you're entitled, but I still say that Eminem has done some interesting & original stuff. Give a listen to The Way I Am, or Real Slim Shady, or Ain't Nuttin But Music (on the D12 Devil's Night album).

Cranberries, on the other hand, belong on turkey, not on cds. :wink:

I would like to think i have a broad range in the rock genre

CLASSIC: Beatles, Rolling Stones, Hendrix, Alice Cooper (he started in 60's)Led Zeppelin, Santana, Slade

Harder rock: Guns N Roses, Iron Maiden, Meatloaf, Judas Priest, Deep Purple, Alice in Chains, Hanoi Rocks, Aerosmith, Pearl Jam, WASP

Poodle/Balladic Rock: Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Poison

Softer Rock:Counting Crows, Dire Straits, Crowded House, The Cardigans, The Cure

A few other bands as well, ooh and neo-classical guitarist Yngwie J. Malmsteen!

I like quite a bit of everything imaginable. Two days ago I heard a song from the 1980's that moved me. It was Wishful Thinking, by the group China Crisis.

radiohead, NIN, Floyd, Zeppelin, The Cure, Nirvana, White Stripes, Interpol, The Strokes, Yes, Luscious Jackson, Beastie Boys, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Tool, A Perfect Circle, Depeche Mode, Moby, U2, Queens of the Stone Age, Portishead...

Okay, you've asked for it:

Led Zeppelin
Rage Against the Machine
Audioslave
The Beatles
Pink Floyd
Bob Marley and The Wailers
Chris Isaak and The Silvertones
Stone Temple Pilots
Jimi Hendrix
Clutch
Black Sabbath
Beethoven
Blue Oyster Cult
The Wallflowers
Van Halen
UFO
MSG
The Kings
Breaking Point
Thin Lizzy
REM
Dave Brubek
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Ted Nuggent
The Rolling Stones
Bob Dylan
The Scorpions
Iron Maiden
The Ramones
Diamond Head
The Smashing Pumpkins
Tool
Mozart
The Sex Pistols
The Offspring
The Misfits
Killing Joke
Kylie Minogue
James Brown
Eric Clapton
The Doors
Bob Seger
Blondie
Billy Idol
ABBA
Aerosmith
Nine Inch Nails
Soundgarden
Tom Waits
Tabla Beat Science
Queen
Pearl Jam
Motorhead
Parallax
Tygers of Pan Tang
Budgie
John Estes
Elvis Presley
Deep Purple
Danzig
Holocaust
Discharge
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds
The Birthday Party
Sweet Savage
Rollins Band

Disturbed, Evanescence, Nickelback, Chevelle, Linkin Park, Creed, Chopin, Debussy, Bach, Vivaldi, Schumann, Schubert, Scarlatti.

Basically, I like Dark Rock (along with some Alternative...in fact, I've got to agree with Monique about Alanis Morisette; at least as far as lyrics go) and melancholy classical (for example, I love Chopin's "Raindrop" prelude, as well as pretty much every Nocturne I've ever heard by him).

Oh yeah, Sting's post reminded me, I like "Rage Against the Machine" and some songs by "Offspring". I also like "Alien Ant Farm" and a couple of songs by "3 doors down".

In my very lightest of moods, I sometimes listen to BNL, but that's rare.

But Cranberries

After you've had a beautiful Irish lass sing there songs in your ear you learn to appreciate them very quickly.

I listen to all types of music but a couple of musicians and bands I have been getting into recently are Erik Satie and Chevelle.

Originally posted by Kerrie
radiohead, NIN, Floyd, Zeppelin, The Cure, Nirvana, White Stripes, Interpol, The Strokes, Yes, Luscious Jackson, Beastie Boys, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Tool, A Perfect Circle, Depeche Mode, Moby, U2, Queens of the Stone Age, Portishead...

Rock on.

Bad Religion (greatest)
Beck
Nirvana
Sound Garden

and sometimes:
Green Day
Sublime
Queen

not much eles perhaps some tull and perhaps some metalica and The Beatles

Janes Addiction and Audioslave (Tom Morello is my hero lol)

but i HATE eminem, "punk rock" (like good charlotte and blink 182), and other stuff like pop and stuff...

Misfits are ok, as long as u like old british bands that like yelling, "i aint no goddamn son of a *****"

and my friend showed me a cool band called TSOL, i liked the song "Code Blue" i mean, come on! how can u NOT like songs about necrophelia?

My favorite types: New age, space music, ambient electronica and ethnic rhythms fused with modern dance with some classic rock thrown in:

Enya
Enigma
Deep Forest
Delerium
Afro Celt Sound System
October Project
Fleetwood Mac
Stevie Nicks

I also listen to following Internet stations via Live365.com

Astreaux World
Celtic Melt
Celtic Highway

Currently listening to Alchemy on Celtic Highway. :smile:

Cheers.

3 Doors Down, Evanescence, Creed, etc.

I also like Jazz music (not the weird contemporary one-saxophone-and-piano thing, I am talking about big band). There are very few people that I know that also like jazz music.

Right now I am stuck on orchestral soundtracks (LoTR, The Time Machine)

Its also interesting to launch up a computer game and waste terrorists to background classical music.

like zooby? cool!

JSB, Hayden, Shostakovich, Kitaro, Hinata (Toshifumi), George Winston, Vivaldi (not 4 Seasons), Satie, Mahler (esp the 4th), Sibelius, Telemann, Stravinsky, various Chinese pieces, ... and Beethoven and good ol' WAM of course.

Pete Yorn..good music if you're relaxing, just chillin

I've heard that piece by China Crises, It's one of my favorites actually, nice keyboard/synthesizer at the beginning, the song has that dreamy feel to it.

Last edited: