What are the solutions to these 3 physics problems?

• Thread starter sirfederation
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation is about three physics problems involving tension, force, mass, and acceleration. The first problem involves a sled on a slope and the second problem involves an elevator being accelerated upwards. The third problem involves a person on a Ferris wheel and the apparent weight at the highest point of their motion. The conversation also includes discussions about drawing free body diagrams and setting up equations correctly.
sirfederation
If anyone can help this physics novice out, I have been working on these problems for about a week. I just started looking at my old engineering Physics books and physics books, trying to brush up... so if you can help, here are the 3 questions:

1. A sled of mass 10 kg is held in place on a frictionless 25 degree slope by a rope attached to a stake at the top. The rope is parallel to the slope. What is the tension in the rope.

2. An elevator weighing 25,000 N is supported by a steel cable. What is the tension in the cable when the elevator is being accelerated upward at a rate of 2 m/s^2. (g = 9.8 m/s^2)

3. A Ferris wheel has radius 5.0 m and makes one revolution in 8 seconds. A person weighing 670 N is sitting on one of the benches attached at the rim of the wheel. What is the apparent weight (the the normal force exerted on her by the bench) of the person as she passes through the highest point of her motion?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried drawing free body diagrams? They'll help a lot in problems like these.

(I have to put the diagram into words because I haven't figured out how to put an image in this message)
Would the free-body diagram for the elevator have tension going upwards, (N) going downwards, and (mg) going downards. Another piece of info I do not get is how would the acceleration which is going upwards fit into the force diagram. If I am missing anything for this diagram please correct me and please correct me if my equation is wrong.
Would the equation look like this T - N -mg = ma ?

For the sled, the free body diagram would be for the vertical N upward, -F[size=.6]g[/size]downward, and for the horizontal tension to the right. My question is does the stake have a free body diagram?

Last edited:
I'll try and assist you in constructing the free body diagram.

For the elevator question, here's a hint: according to Newton's 3rd Law, the force on the elevator from the cable is equal to the tension in the cable.

The force on the elevator due to the cable is pulling it upwards, while the elevator's own weight is pulling it downwards. These two forces will add up to give a net force which causes the upward acceleration.

For the sled, three forces are acting on it. The tension from the rope (parallel to slope), the weight (vertically downwards) and the normal reaction force (which is always perpendicular to the surface). There is no net force.

Hopefully this will help you construct the necessary diagrams. You can actually attach images to this, and it's easy for me to draw images using Paint and show you, but hanging around this forum tells me that I should not give answers directly.

Would the diagram for the elevator and sled look like this:

Also the tension (t) should be going downwards, Force (F) should be going upwards

( image should be on page two) I accidently deleted off this page ,and now it will not allow me to post on this page anymore.)

Last edited:
sorry the image is on this page
Also here is what I have for the sled.

T = F1g(sin25)

F1g = (10 kg)(9.8m/s^2)
F1g = 98 N
plug into the equation T = F1g(sin25)

T = 98 N(sin25)
T = 41.41 N

Wouldn't Fxg= Fgsin 25 and Fyg = Fgcos 25

Also could you please help me on the setup with the sled. I am kinda confused on what I would do next.

Now back to the elevator problem, (I think my force diagram is incorrect because doesn't force and tension have to be in opposite directions (the force(acceleration) is upwards and the tension is upwards would that be correct?))

First equation T-F1g = m (a) ( I think my setup is correct this time around. If not please tell me what I am doing incorrectly?
T-25,000 N = 2,551kg(2 m/s)
T -25,000 N = 5,102 N
T = 25,000 N +5,102N
T =30,102 N

F1g=25,000 N ( would this be correct)
Mass would equal 25,000 N / 9.8 m/s^2 which equal 2551 kg
My next question would be is the mass correct and did I set it up correctly?

Attachments

• 96.gif
    96.gif
    2 KB · Views: 721
Last edited:

1. What is the difference between classical and quantum physics?

Classical physics deals with the behavior of macroscopic objects and is based on Newton's laws of motion, while quantum physics deals with the behavior of microscopic particles and is based on principles of uncertainty and wave-particle duality.

2. What are the three laws of motion in classical physics?

The three laws of motion are: 1) an object at rest will stay at rest and an object in motion will stay in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force, 2) force is equal to mass times acceleration, and 3) for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

3. How does relativity impact our understanding of the universe?

Relativity, both special and general, revolutionized our understanding of the universe by showing that space and time are not absolute and can be affected by gravity. It also led to the famous equation E=mc², which describes the relationship between energy and mass.

4. What is the role of mathematics in physics?

Mathematics is a crucial tool in physics, as it allows us to express and analyze physical phenomena in a precise and quantitative manner. Many physical theories and laws are described using mathematical equations and models.

5. Can quantum mechanics and general relativity be unified?

Currently, there is no single theory that unifies quantum mechanics and general relativity. However, many physicists are working on theories such as string theory and loop quantum gravity in an attempt to reconcile these two fundamental theories of the universe.