What are the identities of the three gods in this land of orcs and elves?

• Thread starter sjsustudent2004
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic
In summary: The person is a liar...}And which way is the city you live in?" If p={The person is an honest Naal}, q={The person is a liar Naal}, then the answer is "No", because the city of truth is in the other direction. If p={The person is a dishonest Yohn}, q={The person is a truthful Yohn}, then the answer is "Yes", because the city of truth is in the same direction as the road to Rome.
sjsustudent2004
Suppose you are in a land where orcs only tell lies, and elves only tell the truth. On your way to Gondor, you come across a fork in the path, going two separate ways. One path leads you to Gondor, while the other leads you to some place else. There is also an orc and an elf standing around to answer any questions. Suppose you are allowed to ask just one question. What question do you ask to know that you take the correct path to Gondor?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ask the elf what the correct path is... Duh. I think it would be a lot more interesting if the orc and elf were indistinguishable.

If they were indistinguishable, then you would merely ask:

"And which way is the city you live in?"

The answer would be the city of truth (or elves in this case).

The lier would lie, thus saying the city of truth, the truther (pardon the made up word) would point to the city of truth.

mruncleramos said:
Ask the elf what the correct path is... Duh. I think it would be a lot more interesting if the orc and elf were indistinguishable.

If they were indistinguishable what would you ask the orc/elf?

point to a road and ask if the other person would say if it was the road to gondor. This way if you are pointing to the correct road, and the person you are speaking to is the truth person, he would say no. Similiarily, if it was the lying person, then he would also say no. Thus you know to take that road. If the one you are pointing at is not the road, the truth person would say yes and the lying person would say yes as well. Thus you take the opposite road. And the third poster did not answer the question.

In this problem is the person able to distinguish which is the orc and which is the elf??

Mozart said:
In this problem is the person able to distinguish which is the orc and which is the elf??

originally, yes.

But the answer to it is extremely easy, I don't see much hard logic in asking the truth-saying-creature about the truth-path-to-gondor.

I agree with you.

so if we edit the question n suppose that their are in distingush able. is muncleramos correct

he is indeed.

so if we edit the question n suppose that their are in distingush able. is muncleramos correct

It makes sense to me

Along those same lines...

I hope my problem solving prof. never sees this post. I got a worse version on my final for my problem solving class, I am restating the problem, although not as eloquently:

There are 3 types of people living on an island, who look exactly the same, Yohns, Wishi, and Naal. The Naal always lie, the Yohns always tell the truth and the Wishi always alternate between telling the truth and telling lies. You are trying to get to (Insert Town/Street/Destination Name Here), You may ask 3 questions, what are they?

It's not the most DIFFICULT problem ever, but very interesting.

Here is an answer to Vanes63, based on the assumption that I am at a fork in the road, one road leads to Rome, and the other doesn't.

I would pick one guy at random and point to one of the roads and ask "Would a Wishi always say that this is the road to Rome?". Then I would ask the same question a second time.

A Yohn will answer "no" twice.
A Naal will answer "yes" twice.
A Wishi will answer "yes" once and "no" once. The next answer I get from this guy will be true or lie depending on the order in which he said "yes" and "no".

The third question will be "Is this the road to Rome?" and based on the answers to the first two questions, I will know if the answer I get is true.

Then I take either road I please as all roads lead to Rome.

Thread revival, I guess...

I have been given the same problem (although the characters and setting are different) and was able to figure out what question to ask. A perhaps important point that hasn't been mentioned but is considered in mruncleramos's answer is that the person is only allowed to answer either "Yes" or "No".

Like I said, the problem is the same, but another prerequisite is that (this is freely translated from Japanese so it may sound slightly weird):

"A person was asked and answered Yes. Hence, the traveler knew that the left road was the correct one".

Accordingly, I figured out the question to be

"Would the other kind of person say that the left road is incorrect?"

However, the problem I am working on has a second part.

"Using the below assignments, write the question's logical expression
p = {The person is an honest person}
q = {The left road is correct}
"

This is actually part one of the problem which is even more perplexing as I'm having a much harder time to figure it out. I haven't made any progress in approx. three hours and would greatly appreciate any help. The deadline is tomorrow...

I thought this was the "Hardest Logical Puzzle Ever":

Three gods, A, B, and C, are called True, False, and Random (in some order you do not know.)
True always speaks truly. False always lies. And Random always speaks truly or lies in a completely random manner. Furthermore, they speak their own language. They will respond "da" or "ja" (one means Yes and the other means No but you do not know which is which.)

You may ask three questions in total. Each time you ask one of your questions, it can only be directed at one god. (You can repeat a question to another god but that counts as 2.)

Determine the identities of A, B, and C (i.e. which is True, which is False, and which is Random.)

1. What is the "Hardest Logic Problem Ever"?

The "Hardest Logic Problem Ever" is a well-known logic puzzle that has been circulating on the internet for many years. It involves a group of people with different characteristics and the challenge is to determine who is lying and who is telling the truth based on a series of clues.

2. How difficult is the "Hardest Logic Problem Ever"?

The difficulty of the "Hardest Logic Problem Ever" is subjective and can vary from person to person. Some may find it extremely challenging, while others may find it relatively easy. It ultimately depends on an individual's logical reasoning skills and ability to think critically.

3. Is there a definitive solution to the "Hardest Logic Problem Ever"?

Yes, there is a definitive solution to the "Hardest Logic Problem Ever". However, the solution may differ depending on the specific version of the puzzle being solved. There are various versions of this puzzle with different characters and clues, so the solution may vary.

4. Are there any strategies for solving the "Hardest Logic Problem Ever"?

Yes, there are some strategies that can be helpful in solving the "Hardest Logic Problem Ever". Some common strategies include creating a chart or diagram to organize the information, eliminating possibilities based on contradictory clues, and using the process of elimination to narrow down the possibilities.

5. Can the "Hardest Logic Problem Ever" be solved by anyone?

The "Hardest Logic Problem Ever" can be solved by anyone who has strong logical reasoning skills and is able to think critically. However, it may require a significant amount of time and effort to solve, so patience and persistence are also important qualities to have when attempting to solve this puzzle.