Can I get some examples of a function with following properies

• Thread starter catsarebad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, a function can be integrated m less than infinity times and its first derivative is bounded and continuous.
catsarebad
a function, say f, can be integrated m times (say m less than infinity) AND its first derivative is bounded and continuous. could someone provide some examples of this?

i'm trying to show f(x) will go to 0 as x-> infinity but i think if i could think of some examples, it might be a good place to start and/or get a feel of this problem.

we're dealing in Reals btw, R+

thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, if a function is (Riemann) integrable, then any antiderivative is differentiable hence continuous, and therefore integrable. So you don't need the condition to be m times integrable, only once.

Second, you require it to be differentiable. Then by the same token it is integrable. Your conditions may be shortened to:

f is differentiable and its derivative is continuous and bounded. Any linear function is an example of this.

Thus it's not the case that f(x) approaches 0 as x approaches infinity.

when you say "integrated" do you mean "anti differentiated"? and when you say m times, do you mean no more than m times? I am a little puzzled by your question. If you start from any bounded continuous function and integrate it (not anti differentiate) once you get a function with bounded continuous derivative that can be integrated (and anti differentiated) a many times as you like. but it does not necessarily go to 0 at infinity it seems to me. On the other hand any smooth "bump function" with bounded support also has all your properties and does go to zero at infinity.

disregardthat said:
f is differentiable and its derivative is continuous and bounded. Any linear function is an example of this.

Thus it's not the case that f(x) approaches 0 as x approaches infinity.

i may have oversimplified the problem then because the statement i made in OP is the one that needs to be proved.

the actual question is

f(x) belongs to C'_b and L_p space. Need to show that f(x) -> 0 as x-> 0

this is L_p space http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lp_space
basically anything in L_p can be integrated p times

f(x) in C'_b means it's first deriv is continuous and is bounded

catsarebad said:

No, that's not what it means. "Integrate p times" means that you have p number of integrals. Lp means f raised to the pth power is integrable.

catsarebad said:

That's not really what it means. It means that ##\int |f|^p## is finite.

Assume ##f\geq 0##. Suppose ##\lim_{x\rightarrow +\infty} f(x) \neq 0##. Show that there then exists an ##\varepsilon>0## and a sequence ##x_n\rightarrow +\infty## such that ##f(x_n)>\varepsilon##.

By mean-value theorem, we have ##|f(x) - f(y)|\leq M|x-y|## for some bound ##M##. Thus for all ##y\in [x-\delta,x+\delta]##, we have ##|f(x) - f(y)|\leq 2\delta M##.

Let ##I_n = [x_n -\delta,x_n+\delta]##, can you find a lower bound for

[tex]\int_{I_n} f(x)^p[/tex]

Does that imply your result?

ah that makes sense. I've couple of questions on what you did above and i hope you don't mind. it has been many years since i took analysis course so it seems I've forgotten what might be obvious.

micromass said:
Thus for all ##y\in [x-\delta,x+\delta]##, we have ##|f(x) - f(y)|\leq 2\delta M##.

how is it that ##y\in [x-\delta,x+\delta]##? i mean how is it that a variable in y belongs to interval in x? shouldn't it be like ##y\in [y_1,y_2]##? I'm sure you are correct with what you said but I'm trying to figure out how this works.

micromass said:
Thus for all ##y\in [x-\delta,x+\delta]##, we have ##|f(x) - f(y)|\leq 2\delta M##.

Let ##I_n = [x_n -\delta,x_n+\delta]##, can you find a lower bound for

[tex]\int_{I_n} f(x)^p[/tex]

Does that imply your result?

I vaguely recall there being some kind of method for finding upper/lower bound of integrals. basically that yeah?

once i find the lower bound i assume there's a theorem that leads me the result i want or somewhere close to it.

eh i need to buy a analysis book.

Last edited:
okay so upper bound of that integral is ##M(x_n+\delta-x_n+\delta)=2M\delta## while lower bound is ##2m\delta## for

##m\leq f(x) \leq M##

Last edited:
if a graph has finite area over an infinite base it seems plausible that the height goes to zero, no?

mathwonk said:
if a graph has finite area over an infinite base it seems plausible that the height goes to zero, no?

It seems like it should be true, but it's not.

gopher_p said:

If the first derivative is bounded and continuous, I think it's the case.

disregardthat said:
If the first derivative is bounded and continuous, I think it's the case.

could you shed some light on why you think this is the chase? how does an additional requirement of "first deriv bounded and cont" make height f(x) approach 0.

I know that just because ##f(x) \in L_p## space it does not mean ##f(x) -> 0## as ##x -> \inf##. I know for sure that the additional requirement of ##f(x) \in (C_b)^'## is needed.

Last edited:
gopher_p said:

why is this not true? i know adding "f(x) is bounded and cont makes it true" (this is what I'm trying to prove) but I'm curious why not having that requirement makes it false. any counter example?

Consider a step function on the set [itex]A = \bigcup_{n = 1}^{\infty} [n-\frac{1}{2^n},n+\frac{1}{2^n}][/itex]. The integral of this function is the sum [itex]\sum_{n=1} 2^{-n+1} = \frac{1}{2}[/itex]. The maximal height remains 1 on any interval [itex][x,\infty)[/itex]. You can easily find a smooth function behaving in a similar way, with maximal height 1 on each such interval and converging integral. But any smooth function constructed in this manner will have unbounded derivatives.

If the derivative is bounded, try to find a function composed of congruent isoceles triangles (with top points [itex]\epsilon[/itex] in the x-values of the sequence [itex]x_n[/itex] micromass defined) strictly smaller than |f(x)|, with diverging integral. This may be found since you have a strict limit of the derivative of f(x) and thus how fast f(x) increases and decreases near each point [itex]x_n[/itex]. You probably need to consider a subsequence of [itex]x_n[/itex] such that the triangles are disjoint.

Last edited:
Let ##f\in L^{p}## have a continuous, bounded first derivative. Note that since ##f\in L^p##, ##\epsilon m(\{x:\vert f(x)\vert\geq\epsilon^{1/p}\})\leq\int_{\{x:\vert f(x)\vert\geq\epsilon^{1/p}\}}\vert f\vert^pdm<\infty## for every ##\epsilon>0##. You know that ##f^p## stays below ##\epsilon## on all but a set of finite measure. If this set is unbounded, use the triangle idea of disregardthat to show that the integral must be infinite, which contradicts the fact that ##f## is in ##L^p##.

1. What is a function with the properies of continuity and differentiability?

A function with the properties of continuity and differentiability is one that is defined and continuous at every point in its domain, and also has a derivative at every point in its domain. In other words, the function has a smooth and unbroken graph without any sharp corners or breaks, and its rate of change (slope) can be calculated at every point.

2. Can you provide an example of a function with both continuity and differentiability?

One example of a function with both continuity and differentiability is f(x) = x^2. This function is defined and continuous for all real numbers, and its derivative is 2x, which exists at every point in its domain.

3. What is an example of a function that is continuous but not differentiable?

An example of a function that is continuous but not differentiable is f(x) = |x|, also known as the absolute value function. This function is defined and continuous for all real numbers, but its derivative does not exist at x = 0, where there is a sharp corner in the graph.

4. Is it possible for a function to be differentiable but not continuous?

No, it is not possible for a function to be differentiable but not continuous. Since differentiability requires continuity, a function must be continuous at every point in its domain in order to be differentiable at every point in its domain.

5. Can you give an example of a function that is neither continuous nor differentiable?

An example of a function that is neither continuous nor differentiable is f(x) = 1/x. This function is not defined at x = 0, and therefore is not continuous at that point. It also does not have a derivative at x = 0, making it not differentiable at that point.