Cocaine and the nervous system

In summary, amphetamines and cocaine block transporters that are responsible for reuptake of dopamine in the brain, leading to increased levels of dopamine and pleasure. The specific process that cocaine interrupts is the binding of dopamine in the nucleus accumbens. The addictive nature of cocaine is believed to be due to its ability to produce euphoric effects.
student007
Can anyone hook me up with some good sites that describe the science behind how cocaine affects the human nervous system? I've searched by found little quality I'll be grateful is you can procide me with any sites/info.

Biology news on Phys.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocaine

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/cocaine/

Amphetamines and cocaine bind to — thus blocking — transporters used for the reuptake of dopamine (and noradrenaline) into presynaptic neurons. This causes the level of dopamine to rise in the synapses. High levels of dopamine in an area of the brain called the nucleus accumbens appear to mediate the pleasurable effects associated with these (as well as other) psychoactive drugs.

Source: http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/D/Drugs.html

Last edited:
I'm still slightly confused...what process is this that cocaine interupts? can anyone maybe give me a reader's digest version? Like, i know that cocaine interupts neurons, but i have no idea if / how it effects the pre or post-synaptics neurons. I just want to get a better general understanding of this. thanx

Last edited:
Also, what is it that actually makes cocaine addictive? Is there a known chemical, or is it just the desire to reach euphoria?

What is cocaine and how does it affect the nervous system?

Cocaine is a powerful stimulant drug that is derived from the coca plant. It works by increasing the levels of dopamine, a neurotransmitter associated with pleasure and reward, in the brain. This can lead to feelings of euphoria, increased energy and alertness, and decreased appetite.

What are the short-term effects of cocaine on the nervous system?

Short-term effects of cocaine on the nervous system include increased heart rate and blood pressure, constricted blood vessels, and dilated pupils. It can also cause agitation, irritability, and anxiety, as well as decrease the appetite and impair judgment.

How does cocaine use affect the brain in the long term?

Long-term cocaine use can lead to changes in the brain's structure and functioning. It can cause damage to the dopamine receptors, making it more difficult for the brain to experience pleasure without the drug. It can also lead to decreased gray matter in certain areas of the brain, which can affect decision-making and impulse control.

Can cocaine use lead to addiction?

Yes, cocaine use can lead to addiction. The drug's effects on the brain's reward system can create a strong desire to continue using, despite negative consequences. It can also lead to tolerance, meaning that larger doses are needed to achieve the desired effect, and withdrawal symptoms when use is stopped.

Are there any potential health risks associated with cocaine use?

Yes, there are several potential health risks associated with cocaine use, including cardiovascular problems, respiratory issues, and neurological damage. It can also increase the risk of stroke, heart attack, and overdose. Additionally, sharing needles when using cocaine can increase the risk of contracting blood-borne diseases like HIV and hepatitis.