Understanding a Challenging Combinatorial Identity

• Thread starter Pietjuh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Identity
In summary, combinatorial identity is a mathematical concept that focuses on the equality of two expressions representing the same counting problem. It differs from other types of mathematical identities as it specifically deals with counting problems. Some common examples include the binomial theorem, the Vandermonde identity, and the inclusion-exclusion principle. Combinatorial identity is often used in combinatorics and can be applied in various scientific research fields such as computer science, genetics, and statistical mechanics. It can be proven using mathematical techniques, but may require advanced knowledge.
Pietjuh
Can someone help me how to deal with this identity that i must prove?

[tex]{n + k-1 \choose n - 1} = \sum_{i=1}^k {k-1\choose i -1} {n \choose i}[/tex]

I've tried to figure out what the combinatorial meaning of the right hand side is, but I didn't succeed :(

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it will help to rewrite it in the form:

[tex]{n + k-1 \choose k} = \sum_{i=1}^k {k-1\choose k - i} {n \choose i}[/tex]

Sure, I'd be happy to help you with this combinatorial identity. Let's break it down step by step.

First, let's focus on the left hand side of the equation. The expression {n+k-1 \choose n-1} represents the number of ways to choose n-1 objects from a set of n+k-1 objects. This can also be thought of as the number of ways to distribute n-1 identical objects into k-1 distinct groups.

Now, let's look at the right hand side. The expression {k-1 \choose i-1} represents the number of ways to choose i-1 objects from a set of k-1 objects. This can be interpreted as the number of ways to choose the sizes of the groups in the distribution. The expression {n \choose i} represents the number of ways to choose i objects from a set of n objects. This can be seen as the number of ways to choose the objects to be placed in each group.

So, overall, the right hand side can be interpreted as the sum of all possible distributions of n-1 identical objects into k-1 distinct groups. This is equivalent to the number of ways to choose n-1 objects from a set of n+k-1 objects, which is exactly what the left hand side represents.

I hope this helps you understand the combinatorial meaning of this identity. Remember, when proving combinatorial identities, it's important to break down each side and understand the meaning behind each expression. Good luck!

1. What is combinatorial identity?

Combinatorial identity is a mathematical concept that relates to the equality of two expressions that represent the same counting problem.

2. How is combinatorial identity different from other types of mathematical identities?

Combinatorial identity focuses specifically on counting problems, while other mathematical identities may involve more complex equations or relationships between numbers.

3. What are some common examples of combinatorial identity?

Some common examples of combinatorial identity include the binomial theorem, the Vandermonde identity, and the inclusion-exclusion principle.

4. How is combinatorial identity used in scientific research?

Combinatorial identity is often used in combinatorics, a branch of mathematics that deals with counting and arranging objects. It can be applied in various fields such as computer science, genetics, and statistical mechanics.

5. Can combinatorial identity be proven?

Yes, combinatorial identity can be proven using mathematical techniques such as algebraic manipulation and induction. However, some identities may be difficult to prove and require advanced mathematical knowledge.