Calculating Compression Time for Mass-Spring Impact: A Comparison of Methods

• Thread starter VinceA
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impact
In summary, the problem is that the compression time (t) is 1/100th the duration reported by simulation.
VinceA
This is a simple(?) problem but my ability to perform basic calculus disappeared long ago. I am working thru the equations for a spring response to a dropped weight. My primary reference is Shigley (for just about everything!) and I've validated the eqn's for deflection and max force. However, I am trying to work out the duration of the event for purposes of estimating simulation time in explicit FEA. Solving for time to max deflection from eqns in Shigley yields exactly 1/200th of the time reported by 2 mechanism simulation tools...who nail the deflection and force as noted above.

Has anyone solved this "compression time" and, if so, can you share the eqn?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Not that you're giving a whole lot of info, but based on what you have listed, I would guess that:
1. You've got one side dealing with the whole colision, and the other dealing with half of it (introducing a factor of 2)
and
2. There's some sort of unit issue providing a factor of 100.

Note that this is a relatively wild guess.

I've beat up the units issue so I don't think that's the problem. The system is pretty simple and I've been staring at it for a couple of hours so it didn't occur to me to give more detail... Essentially, I'm looking at a spring to ground with K=238.1 #/in. A weight (W) of 7.43# is being dropped a height (h) of 12 inches onto the spring.

Compression (D) = (W/k)+(W/k)*SQRT[1+((2*h*k)/W)] = 0.897 in.

Force (F) = K*D = 213.6 lbf

Both these calcs agree with the simulation results.

In Shigley "Mechanical Engineering Design", D is determined by assuming a Cosine term in a longer eqn is unity...

Cos[(kg/W)t - Phi] = 1

thus...

(kg/W)t-Phi = 0 or (kg/W)t = Phi or t = (Phi*W)/KG

Phi = Pi/2 + SQRT[atan(W/(2kh))] = 1.84

thus... t = 0.00015 sec

which is 1/100th (not 1/200th...sorry) the duration reported by simulation.

Can anyone see where I messed up? I, of course, waited until the last minute before deciding I wanted to add this to a slide in a webcast tomorrow.

Thanks!

...is your calculator set to degrees?

1. What is mass-spring impact duration?

Mass-spring impact duration is the amount of time it takes for a mass attached to a spring to complete one full oscillation after being released from a certain height and impacting a surface.

2. How is mass-spring impact duration calculated?

The mass-spring impact duration can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the time period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant.

3. What factors affect the mass-spring impact duration?

The mass-spring impact duration is affected by the mass of the object, the stiffness of the spring, and the initial height from which the object is released.

4. How does gravity affect the mass-spring impact duration?

Gravity has a minimal effect on the mass-spring impact duration, as it only affects the initial velocity of the object.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying mass-spring impact duration?

Studying mass-spring impact duration can be useful in understanding the behavior of objects in various systems, such as in mechanical engineering, physics experiments, and even sports equipment design.