Proving Combinatorial identity

• Thread starter Pietjuh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Identity
In summary, the conversation is about proving a combinatorial identity, specifically the identity: {{n+k-1}\choose{n-1}} = \sum_{i=1}^k {k-1\choose i-1}{n\choose i}\,\, 1\leq k \leq n. The participants discuss different approaches to solving it, including using induction and considering a set of n+k-1 objects partitioned into two piles. Ultimately, they come to the conclusion that the identity can be proven by considering the number of ways of choosing k objects out of n+k-1 objects.
Pietjuh
Hello everyone!

I'm trying to prove the following identity, but I'm not very lucky in finding the proof: :eek:

[tex]
{{n+k-1}\choose{n-1}} = \sum_{i=1}^k {k-1\choose i-1}{n\choose i}\,\, 1\leq k \leq n
[/tex]

I've tried to interpret this as a combinatorial problem, and I know the left hand side is the number of k-repeatingcombinations (don't really know the english word for it. The dutch word is k-herhalingscombinaties). But how i can transfer this to the sum on the right hand side... :confused:

Can someone help me a bit with this? :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Do it by inductiom, although there is an obvious combinatorial interpretation:

consider a set of n+k-1 objects partitioned as

1,2,..,n | n+1,...,n+k-1

how many ways are there of picking n-1 things from this?

we can pick r fromthe k-1 on the right of the partition and n-1 -r from the ones one the left, thus

[tex] \binom{n+k-1}{n-1} = \sum_{r=0}^{k-1} \binom{k-1}{r}\binom{n}{n-1-r}[/tex]

just reclall that choosing n-1-r from n is the same as choosing r+1 and nor shift the summation so it is indexed by i from 1 to k not r from 0 to k-1

Last edited:
LHS = C(n+k-1,n-1) = C(n+k-1,k) {using the identity C(n,k) = C(n, n-k)}

This is simply the number of ways of choosing k objects out of n+k-1 objects.

Find an alternative way of doing this same thing. For instance, consider the collection of objects to be consisting of 2 piles. One pile has n objects and the other pile has k-1 objects. Pick up some i objects from the first pile and the remaining k-i objects from the second pile. Calculate the number of ways of doing this and you will see that this is merely a term on the RHS. Sum through all values of i to generate the complete RHS.

Edit : Just saw matt's post...and this is essentially doing the same thing. If you wish read through both and see how they are equivalent.

Last edited:

1. What is a combinatorial identity?

A combinatorial identity is an equation that shows that two expressions are equal in terms of counting the same objects, but using different counting methods or approaches. These identities are often used in combinatorics, a branch of mathematics that deals with counting and arranging objects.

2. How do you prove a combinatorial identity?

To prove a combinatorial identity, you need to show that both sides of the equation count the same objects in the same way. This can be done by using combinatorial arguments, such as counting principles, bijections, or generating functions. It is also important to clearly explain each step of the proof and justify why it is valid.

3. What are some common techniques used to prove combinatorial identities?

Some common techniques used to prove combinatorial identities include the principle of bijection, the principle of inclusion-exclusion, the pigeonhole principle, and the use of generating functions. These techniques involve finding a one-to-one correspondence between the objects being counted in both expressions, or using algebraic manipulation to transform one expression into the other.

4. Can combinatorial identities be applied to real-life problems?

Yes, combinatorial identities can be applied to real-life problems in many fields, such as computer science, statistics, and physics. They can be used to solve counting problems and to analyze the efficiency of algorithms. Combinatorial identities can also be used to model and analyze real-world systems, such as traffic flow or population growth.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when proving combinatorial identities?

Yes, there are some common mistakes to avoid when proving combinatorial identities. These include using incorrect counting methods, not considering all possible cases, and making assumptions without proper justification. It is also important to clearly state the assumptions and definitions used in the proof and to avoid circular reasoning. It is recommended to double-check each step of the proof and to provide clear explanations for each step.