Rotation qns which i am stuck for 2 hours

In summary, the question is asking for the minimum backward angular velocity a gymnast must give a hoop, with radius R and mass M, thrown forward with speed V, in order to ensure it spins back eventually. Friction can not be ignored and the nett torque must be considered. The kinetic energy of a rolling object is equal to 1/2mv^2 + 1/2Iw^2, and if the object is on the verge of rolling backwards, this equation holds true. Solving this problem involves finding a relationship between the nett torque and translational and rotational kinetic energy.
Wen
I have been stuck at this qns for 2 hours.

A gymnast often toss a hoop forward while giving it a backward spin. the hoop has a radius R and mass M, and is thrown forward with speed V. Find the minimum backward angular velocity w the gymnast must give in order to make sure it spin back eventually . Take both its static and kinectic coefficent of friction to be #.

Since friction is acting , its nett torque is not 0. Hence conserv. of angular momentum cannot be applied.

if its nett torque is Mg#R, how should i relate this to the translational and rotational K.E.?

Please teach me how to solve this.

Physics news on Phys.org
if the torque is taken about contact point(bottum) then torque due to all three forces is zero and we can conserve angular momentum.

so 1/2 I w^2= 1/2 MV^2 ?

yes, the kinetic energy of a rolling object is, as you have stated:
[tex] KE_{rolling} = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 + \frac{1}{2}I{\omega}^2 [/tex]

if the object is on the veeeeeeerge of rolling backwards, or back to the thrower, the inequality you have stated works.

Regards,

Nenad

1. What is rotation?

Rotation is a movement in which an object or system turns around an axis or center point.

2. How is rotation different from revolution?

Rotation is a movement around an axis, while revolution is a movement around a larger object or point.

3. What are some examples of objects that rotate?

Some examples of objects that rotate include the Earth, a spinning top, and a bicycle wheel.

4. How is rotation related to angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the measure of how quickly an object rotates around an axis. The faster an object rotates, the higher its angular velocity.

5. How does rotation affect an object's stability?

The stability of an object is affected by its center of mass, which is the point around which it rotates. If an object's center of mass is above its base of support, it is more stable. However, if the center of mass is outside of the base of support, the object may become unstable and tip over.