Butt kicked, tired, stressed, worn out? Complain here.

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: I can get it all done by then, I can save a lot of time and have a much better paper.In summary, the individual is extremely stressed and has a lot on their plate recently. The stress has caused them to age a bit more than they should have.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Too much on the plate lately. Luckily some stuff with work was delayed a couple of times or I would be really under the gun now [in trouble]. As it is, the last few months have been very high stress with both work and family, and the long term effects are catching up to me. It feels like I aged ten years this summer. :frown:

oh yes, maybe I did age a bit more than I should have:
How stress causes aging - PF Thread

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm only just unstressed for the first time in probably a month or more! I'm also officially homeless...for a night. :biggrin: I closed on my house in Cincinnati today, took my big, fat check to the bank, and hit the road for WV! I'm in a hotel tonight, and supposedly my stuff gets delivered tomorrow. The driver is supposed to arrive in town tonight and be ready to unload first thing in the morning, except we don't know if his big truck will make it up the drive to my townhouse, so he's going to check it out tonight and I guess I'll find out in the morning if they have to transfer everything to a smaller truck before delivering (if they have to do that, I don't know if they'll still be able to deliver in the afternoon, or if I will have to wait until Friday for delivery...I just know I'm SOOOOOOOOOO glad I didn't have to pack and move it all myself this time).

The worst is over now...anything else that can go wrong from this point onward won't leave me homeless and destitute...though I could still wind up with no belongings...that's the worst that could happen is the truck blows up or something, and then I get insurance money to buy new stuff.

So, the truck was loaded yesterday in the pouring rain as the remnants of Katrina hit OH...it made me doubly glad I wasn't doing the packing.

Though, OMG! gas prices spiked overnight! By my former house, they spiked from 2.59 yesterday to 3.59 today! I'm glad I filled up the day before anticipating rising prices. I found a station across town that hadn't gotten a chance to raise prices yet, so topped off the tank and then only needed to add a little bit at a station selling for 3.09 to be sure I could complete the trip without refilling. It's been 3.09 everywhere I've passed once out of Cincinnati. I'm very glad my commute to work is now only 2.5 miles (I clocked it tonight). If it wasn't on narrow, windy, mountainy roads with NO shoulders, I would be VERY tempted to buy a bike...but I think I'd die on the first uphill, either from a heart attack or from getting run over (there's no place to go if a car comes, all the roads have very steep drop-offs down the side, so no option to just land in a ditch). It's only a 1/2 mi to the farm entrance though, and even closer to the farm pastures themselves, so I'm going to have to learn where the pasture boundaries are and see if it's possible to walk across fields without ending up on the wrong side of the fence with bulls. On the days that I'm only out at the farm and don't need to go into the lab, I wouldn't mind walking, even down mountains and through pastures since I could stay off the roads. I just need to make sure the farm crew doesn't have a problem with that.

Well, the first draft of my 4000 word physics extended essay is due Tuesday and well, I'm still finalizing the topic with my supervisor.

It probably would have been done awhile back except that my supervisor wouldn't let me due the essay on propullsion of various solid rocket engines because it involved highly explosive and flammable materials. So I had to spend the past 2 weeks researching new topics...and after a ton of research, and I think 3 more topic proposals to the supervisor (not to mention a lot of help received from PFers - thx!) I finally have proposed a topic that he replied was "a bit more manageable". So I meet with him either tomorrow or Friday to discuss it before I can begin.

Did I mention that this isn't just an essay, but more like a mini-thesis, because I have to perform an entire lab investigation into my topic to write the paper on? Either I'm not going to hand it in on time or it's going to be very poor quality.

The plus...it's only the first draft that is due, and the meeting with my supervisor is an excuse to drive (I just got my liscense :biggrin: ) although with gas prices as they are now, I'm not sure a 45 minute drive there and that again back is going to be as enjoyable as I hoped.

Ivan Seeking - Sorry to hear that...and good luck with everything on your plate, loosen that belt and keep eating! (Ok that's not that great of advice but I couldn't resist because it was the first witty thing I've come up with today.)

Moonbear - Good luck with your moving!

My roomate works for a real estate/corporate law office. They had a big deal going through today and last night he worked until 4:00am, got home at 5, and left at 8 to go back to work at 9.

I'm fine, though. :smile:

Tomorrow I hand over they keys to one business, and in 30 days I open another. On a stress scale from one to ten..i'm way past 20. I've worked 12+ hours a day for several weeks, with only one sunday afternoon off to mow the yard. I thought it would lighten up in about a week, but I haven't hardly touched the C++ programs for service invoices yet. OSHA will do its inspection in 2 weeks, fire next week, ins company this week. Inventory will be here starting after the insurance inspection. And we have 25 people being interview this week...oh and the carpet will be on monday.
Its a motor SPORTS shop..."thumbs nose at all who think motor and sports are two words that shouldn't mix" :tongue2:

Mines nothing on the scale of you guys.

I'm just plain tired at classes these days. I do 4 classes on MW and 3 on friday and man, hte last class on MW has me tired as hell. Its a chemistry class by the way. Today I was pretty much a few minutes away from being completely out and asleep when i kinda lift my head and all of a sudden my chemistry prof has stopped talken about correctly naming molecules and started talking about roulette.

I am SO STRESSED. Poor Wolram has been listening to the never ending chain of events :cry: :cry: :cry: (you guys have been spared).

Thanks for the link Ivan, I will look 80 by next week. :cry:

I have no sympathy for any of you, it is all self inflicted :rofl: you could all
give it up and move to the wollie commune, a small donation of $50,000
is all that i ask, just think no more carts to pull or races to win you will be
free to frolic in the sun.

Ah, the Church of the Dancing Wollie Master. It is claimed that you have to watch the master wollie dance...naked. Severe psychological damage usually results.

Evo said:
I am SO STRESSED. Poor Wolram has been listening to the never ending chain of events :cry: :cry: :cry: (you guys have been spared).

I sent you a truck load of lucky charms, but the driver can not find your
house, i would ask you to light a beacon fire but that is way to dangerous,
could you buy some signal rockets ? Ahhhh no better not, just sit in your
rocking chair Nooo an ordinary stout legged chair and sip sherry, he will find
you eventually. :rofl:

Ivan Seeking said:
Ah, the Church of the Dancing Wollie Master. It is claimed that you have to watch the master wollie dance...naked. Severe psychological damage usually results.

Naah, that's a rumour spread by a jealous troll, i do recommend the naked moon
worshiping ritual though. :biggrin:

Grrrrrrr Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr Grrrrrrr Grr :mad: :grumpy:

I don't undertstand the point of a thread where people complain about their ravaged or worn out butts.

Last edited:
Well,

I have to get up in the morning at ten oclock at night, half an hour before I go to bed...

I am certainly glad yesterday is over! Month end was crazy, plus, I have co-workers who don't always do their jobs, and still rely on me to do their stuff even though they know good and well I am busy trying to close up the month (I do some of the day-to-day accounting). And of course, those wonderful doctor visits pregnant women get each week at the last month of their pregnacy was yesterday, so that cut into my time (I had forgotten about month end when I scheduled the appt).

Today, I will come home, put my feet up, have a more relaxed day and counting down to my due date (it's Sept 19). :bugeye:

BIG-DUMB-STUPIDHEAD Fiscal year closeout! :cry: :grumpy: :devil: :mad:

Anyone into Katrina overload?

Since I was sitting here working with CNN on almost constantly, I'm feeling this quite a bit; much like with 911. I force myself to turn it off now and again.

Ivan Seeking said:
Anyone into Katrina overload?

Since I was sitting here working with CNN on almost constantly, I'm feeling this quite a bit; much like with 911. I force myself to turn it off now and again.

It is so horrific, i feel i should be there helping in some way, i guess every one
does.

Kerrie said:
I am certainly glad yesterday is over! Month end was crazy, plus, I have co-workers who don't always do their jobs, and still rely on me to do their stuff even though they know good and well I am busy trying to close up the month (I do some of the day-to-day accounting). And of course, those wonderful doctor visits pregnant women get each week at the last month of their pregnacy was yesterday, so that cut into my time (I had forgotten about month end when I scheduled the appt).

Today, I will come home, put my feet up, have a more relaxed day and counting down to my due date (it's Sept 19). :bugeye:

WooHoo! The countdown begins! So, Kerrie, when can you start maternity leave? Are you going to work all the way up to delivery or can you take some time off before?

I am working to the very very end...I want as much time off with the baby as I can afford. The last weeks of pregnancy really drag on... :cry:

stressed and tired.

Everday my schedule is

Work- 5am-11am
Class- 12-5:15

Fight rush hour traffic, go home cook dinner, clean dishes, do homework, go to bed at 11pm-12am

I watched a beautiful blue-eyed, towhead child of 2 years die tonight. Her aunt backed over her with her truck. Her head was under the tire. There was a hospital full of crying employees tonight.

Please be extremely careful when you back up your truck or SUV. You just never know what might happen.

Tsu said:
I watched a beautiful blue-eyed, towhead child of 2 years die tonight. Her aunt backed over her with her truck. Her head was under the tire. There was a hospital full of crying employees tonight.

Please be extremely careful when you back up your truck or SUV. You just never know what might happen.

Tsu, what a horrible thing to have to witness. I can't even imagine.

I had a ****ty morning of dove hunting. 1 damn hit.

Pengwuino said:
I had a ****ty morning of dove hunting. 1 damn hit.

I didn't know California had a dove season :confused:

Perhaps you should consider spending some more time at the range shooting clay pigeons.

Tsu said:

:frown: that is just... I cannot imagine how that lady feels right now. I mean, how could she ever look at her sister in the eyes again?

Kerrie said:
Tsu, what a horrible thing to have to witness. I can't even imagine.

Yeah, sometimes my job really sucks. The worst part is not ever being able to get visions like this out of my head. I always say "be very careful of what you put in your head, because you can never get it OUT again."

But I try to think of the good things I get to help with, too. It's wonderful to do a head CT on a patient with stroke symptoms (unable to talk, move one side of their body, ect...) to make sure they're having an 'clot' stroke and not a 'bleeding' stroke, and then watching them return to normal after their thrombolytic meds are given. We cry with happiness along with them and their families.

Unfortnately, in my line of work, the bad things always outweigh the good things.

But thanks for the sympathy. :smile: It helps to talk about it and Ivan is down in CA with his mom this weekend, so I had to turn to my PF friends for de-briefing. You guys rock. :smile:

Its always so hard when it comes to kids, sorry to hear you had to be there for that. I'm also very sorry for the family who has to go through it, I'm sure it helps to have such wonderful professionals there when such things occur.

My sister is here to help me! You don't understand how much this means to me, she hates the city with a passion. The last time she was here was almost 5 years ago, so this is really REALLY cool!

hypatia said:
Its always so hard when it comes to kids, sorry to hear you had to be there for that. I'm also very sorry for the family who has to go through it, I'm sure it helps to have such wonderful professionals there when such things occur.

I can't even imagine the anguish her parents and especially her aunt must be going through. It's too much to handle.

My sister is here to help me! You don't understand how much this means to me, she hates the city with a passion. The last time she was here was almost 5 years ago, so this is really REALLY cool!

Sisters are the BEST! :biggrin: 'Specially the PF Sisterhood. :wink: :rofl: :rofl:

Evo said:
I thought we already established you only look half your age? You couldn't possibly look a day over 70.

...sorry

Keep on doing your best Tsu, we all know that we can not do enough, i love
you guys for trying so hard, without you i wouldn't be here. :!)

Townsend said:
Perhaps you should consider spending some more time at the range shooting clay pigeons.

Thats the thing though. Put me on a range with clay disks and ill hit about 90% of them. Plus there weren't many out by the time we got otu to my godfathers ranch. The thing that really pissed me off though was I would say that about 60 doves went over while we were all out there. We take a break, have some hotdogs and burritos and then we look up and about 40-50 doves in a pack just fly overhead. No one had a loaded weapon either so we just looked and thought " :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy: "

Pengwuino said:
...and burritos and then we look up and about 40-50 doves in a pack just fly overhead. No one had a loaded weapon either so we just looked and thought " :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy: "

:rofl: Just one more example of Murphy's law in action...

Last year when I was pheasant hunting I swear...every 1/8 mile or so you would see a couple of roosters in the ditch. But when ever we started to walk a field I would hardly see any...

Today was going to be my first day off in 20 days, then I get a call this morning. It seems there was a project that needed to be done today, and no one else they had called so far was willing to come into do it. So, I went into work. I'm also going in tomorrow, so here's keeping my fingers crossed for Monday.

wolram said:
Keep on doing your best Tsu, we all know that we can not do enough, i love
you guys for trying so hard, without you i wouldn't be here. :!)

Bless your sweet face, woolie ram. We love you, too. :smile: :!)