Calculate dropped ball acceleration question

In summary, the formula for calculating the acceleration of a dropped ball is a = (2gh)/t^2, where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), h is the height of the drop, and t is the time it takes for the ball to fall. This formula can be used for any type of ball as long as the drop height is measured from the center of mass of the ball. It is accurate for idealized situations, but in real-life scenarios, factors such as air resistance and surface imperfections can affect the acceleration. This formula assumes no air resistance, but a modified formula can be used for a more accurate calculation. The time for the ball to fall
Michaelenetaylor
When you drop a ball, it accelerates due to Earth gravity. How does it accelerate if you instead throw it downward?

I know a free falling object accelerates at 10 m/s/s, is the same for an object that is thrown downwards?

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well when you throw it downwards it'll basicly get more speed, but its acceleration will be gravity (Ignoring air resistance).

I can confirm that the acceleration due to Earth's gravity is approximately 9.8 m/s^2. This means that when a ball is dropped, it will accelerate at a rate of 9.8 m/s^2 towards the ground. However, when a ball is thrown downward, the initial velocity of the ball will also contribute to its acceleration. If the initial velocity is not significant, then the acceleration due to gravity will still be the dominant force causing the ball to accelerate downward. However, if the initial velocity is significant, then the acceleration of the ball will be a combination of the acceleration due to gravity and the initial velocity. In this case, the acceleration may be greater or less than 9.8 m/s^2 depending on the strength of the initial velocity. Therefore, the acceleration of a thrown ball will not always be the same as a dropped ball.

What is the formula for calculating the acceleration of a dropped ball?

The formula for calculating the acceleration of a dropped ball is a = (2gh)/t2, where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2), h is the height of the drop, and t is the time it takes for the ball to fall.

Can I use this formula for any type of ball?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of ball as long as the drop height is measured from the center of mass of the ball.

How accurate is this formula in real-life scenarios?

This formula is a simplified version of the equation for free fall motion, so it is accurate for idealized situations. In real-life scenarios, factors such as air resistance and imperfections in the ball's surface can affect the acceleration.

Do I need to account for air resistance when using this formula?

No, this formula assumes that there is no air resistance. If you want a more accurate calculation, you can use a modified formula that takes into account air resistance.

How can I measure the time it takes for the ball to fall?

The easiest way to measure the time is to use a stopwatch. Start the stopwatch as soon as you release the ball and stop it when the ball hits the ground. Make sure to repeat the experiment multiple times and take an average of the times for a more accurate result.