OMG I have an inverview in 3 hours help

• Thread starter Physics is Phun
  • Start date
In summary, if you're nervous, try to relax and act like you're interested in the company. Smile a lot and be friendly. Prepare by knowing what the company does and how it relates to your interests. Don't be arrogant, but don't be shy either.
Physics is Phun
OMG I have an inverview in 3 hours! help!

I've never had a job interview before. It's for my environmental engineering co-op. ahh man, I'm going to be royally screwed!

Physics news on Phys.org
Congratulations!

Just relax, act friendly, smile a lot and seem interested in their company. Don't become defensive. Be prepared to talk about how your experience is a great fit for the position you are interviewing for. Hopefully you have been going over this in your mind already and have done some research into the company and position. If not, don't worry, ask questions about the position and then explain how your skills fit.

If you sent in a resume, take a copy with you that you can reference while you are talking. If you're nervous, you may forget. You'll appear more collected and organized.

Don't worry, they want to hire someone, so they will be looking for you to give them the reasons to hire you. But don't be arrogant!

Congratulations! Remember to maintain eye contact and don't be afraid of blowing your own trumpet (you do have a trumpet to take with you, don't you?) - but don't veer over to cockiness. You're a salesman, selling yourself, so make a good pitch.

The last question an interviewer usually asks is: "Do you have any questions about us?" Try and think one up in advance. Shows interest.

Good luck. Don't be down if you don't get the job on your first interview, or if you feel you didn't do yourself justice. Interviews are a skill acquired with practise - everyone knows what it's like to not make it, for whatever reason.

Physics is Phun said:
ahh man, I'm going to be royally screwed!
Reminds me of that night with Princess Diana...

I got an email about an internship for a paper company over the summer (newpage). I never really had a real job before or a real interview so my first interview's going to be on wednesday. I'll buy a suit over the weekend to look sharp and just go to the interview :biggrin: . I don't think I'll have much competition because the interview sign up sheet had only my name on it :uhh:...doesn't look like too many mechanical engineering students want to work for a paper company over the summer. Do you think it's a bad idea to waste a summer with a paper company? Anyways, all I can tell you is to do your research on the company because you want to have an idea of what they're doing and how it relates to what you like. Good luck.:approve:

What should I wear to my interview?

It is best to dress professionally for an interview. This typically means wearing a suit or dress pants and a dress shirt for both men and women. Avoid wearing anything too casual or revealing.

How should I prepare for my interview?

Research the company and the position you are interviewing for beforehand. Practice answering common interview questions and have examples prepared to showcase your skills and qualifications. Also, make sure to arrive early and bring a copy of your resume.

What kind of questions should I expect during the interview?

You can expect a mix of behavioral, situational, and technical questions. Behavioral questions focus on how you have handled past situations, situational questions ask how you would handle hypothetical situations, and technical questions assess your knowledge and skills related to the job.

How can I calm my nerves before the interview?

Take some deep breaths, remind yourself of your qualifications, and try to think positively. It can also help to practice some relaxation techniques, such as meditation or visualization. Lastly, remember that it's normal to feel nervous and the interviewer is likely understanding of this.

What should I do if I don't know the answer to a question during the interview?

If you don't know the answer to a question, it's okay to take a moment to think before responding. You can also ask for clarification or ask if you can come back to the question later. It's better to take your time and give a thoughtful answer rather than rushing or guessing.