Movement of Center of Mass for a Pulled Down Cable

In summary, the center of mass of a hanging cable, assuming it is attached at two fixed points, will always be at its lowest possible position in the catenary curve, regardless of any external forces acting on it. Any deviation from this shape will increase the potential energy and raise the center of mass. It is not trivial to describe the new center of mass position as a function of midpoint displacement. One possible approach could be evaluating the mean-height of the curves using the integral formula.
standardflop
Hello
A cable is attached at two (nonemoving)fixpoints. Now the cables midpoint is pulled downward, thereby destroying the catenary curve.

Question: How will the cables center of mass (CM) move: op, down or stay fixed?

My thoughts:
I find it intuituitive that the CM will assume the lowest possible position in the catenary (y=cosh y) curve, but how can i "proove" this? and is it possible to describe the hight of CM as function of the downward midpoint-displacement?

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a valid approach: ?
the y-conponent of center of mass is given by [tex] y_c = \frac{\int r_y dm}{m} [/tex] furthermore
[tex] dm=\rho ds [/tex] and [tex] ds=\sqrt{1+y'^2} dx [/tex]
now we have
[tex] y_c = \frac{\int_{x_1}^{x_2} y \cdot \rho \sqrt{1+y'^2} dx}{\int_{x_1}^{x_2} \rho \sqrt{1+y'^2} dx} [/tex]

now forinstance inserting (and comparing) i.e. [tex] y_1 =cosh(x) [/tex] and [tex] y_2=|x| [/tex] (zigzag-function), we see that the former has higher center of mass y-comp.
thereby concluding that pulling down the cable at the midpoint will lower the center of mass?

Last edited:
Since the only question is whether the center of mass will move up or down, I don't see any need for any detailed calculations.

If there were no outside force, the center of mass would not move. But there obviously is an outside force since "the cables midpoint is pulled downward". Since the force is downward, which way will the center of mass move?

hmm, i considered the analogy of attaching a weight to the midpoint, and ofcourse the center of mass would move down. But does external forces affect the center of mass? - i thought i needed to focus on the weightdistribution caused by change in curvature of the catenary?

furthermore, it seems odd to me that the zigzag curve has lower center of mass.. wouldn it mean that a hanging cable could minimize its potential energy by assuming this curvature?

Last edited:
The catenary, the shape assumed by the hanging chain, has the minimum potential energy of any possible shape. That's equivalent to saying it's center of mass is as low as it can be. So any change in its shape can only raise the center of mass.

Doc Al said:
The catenary, the shape assumed by the hanging chain, has the minimum potential energy of any possible shape. That's equivalent to saying it's center of mass is as low as it can be. So any change in its shape can only raise the center of mass.
I think this is the answer they are looking for. But this assumes that a chain and a cable are equivalent. A cable can stretch because of the way it is wound. So it is possible to lower the centre of mass by pulling and stretching a cable.

AM

Interesting point, AM. I assumed that whatever it was--cable, chain, etc.--had a fixed length and was unstretchable. There's nothing in the problem statement that implies that the cable was stretched instead of merely pulled into a different shape.

Andrew Mason said:
I think this is the answer they are looking for. But this assumes that a chain and a cable are equivalent. A cable can stretch because of the way it is wound. So it is possible to lower the centre of mass by pulling and stretching a cable.
AM
but can you account for this, or is it just a consideration?
Doc Al said:
Yes, this the logical conclusion - but is there a proof?, and a way to find out how it moves?

Could not quite deduce a conclusion from the answers to my thread..
Im still struggling with this problem of 'the center of mass of deformed catenary' ;)

The "potential-energy argument" rules out that the center of mass will move downward, when the midpoint is displaced. So it would be obvious to say, that the center of mass would move up - but i still don't see the "proof", and it would be nice, to be able to describe the movement of the center of mass as function of midpoint displacement.

Thanks

I'm not clear on what kind of proof you are looking for. If you accept that the chain, left to hang under its own weight, will form the shape of least PE, then it follows that the chain's CM must be its lowest in that configuration. (That shape happens to be a catenary, but who cares.) Thus any deviation from that shape must increase the PE and raise the CM.

The above is trivial. But describing the new CM position as a function of midpoint displacement is not trivial (at least as far as I can see).

Doc Al said:
If you accept that the chain, left to hang under its own weight, will form the shape of least PE, then it follows that the chain's CM must be its lowest in that configuration. (That shape happens to be a catenary, but who cares.) Thus any deviation from that shape must increase the PE and raise the CM.
Ofcourse..I agree with the first part. But how do you reject the possibility, that a deviation from that shape (the "new" shape is also a catenary, just with a discontinuity) won't leave the CM in the same place?

Doc Al said:
But describing the new CM position as a function of midpoint displacement is not trivial (at least as far as I can see).
Maybe one could evaluate the mean-height of the curves? something like [tex] \overline{f(x)}=\frac 1{b-a} \int_a^b f(x) \ dx[/tex]

1. What is the center of mass for a pulled down cable?

The center of mass for a pulled down cable is the point at which the total weight of the cable is concentrated. It is the point where the cable would balance if it were placed on a single support.

2. How is the center of mass calculated for a pulled down cable?

The center of mass for a pulled down cable can be calculated by dividing the total weight of the cable by the total length of the cable. This will give the average position of the cable's weight along its length.

3. Does the center of mass change for a pulled down cable?

Yes, the center of mass for a pulled down cable can change depending on how the cable is pulled and the distribution of weight along its length. As the cable is pulled down, the center of mass will move closer to the point of the pull.

4. Why is the center of mass important for a pulled down cable?

The center of mass for a pulled down cable is important because it determines the stability and balance of the cable. If the center of mass is not properly supported, the cable may become unbalanced and potentially cause accidents or damage.

5. How does the movement of the center of mass affect the tension in a pulled down cable?

The movement of the center of mass affects the tension in a pulled down cable by shifting the distribution of weight and changing the direction of the forces acting on the cable. This can result in changes in tension along the cable, which can impact its stability and ability to support weight.