If the polar ice caps melted, would a day be longer or shorter?

• Thread starter confusedbyphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ice Polar
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between angular momentum, rotational inertia, and angular speed in regards to the melting of the ice caps on Earth. It is concluded that the angular momentum remains constant while the rotational inertia increases due to the redistribution of mass, resulting in a decrease in angular speed and longer days.
confusedbyphysics
If they melted and water was evenly distributed all over the earth.

From what I guess I should use angular momentum. Ang momentum = I (moment of intertia) X W (angular velocity)

I = mr^2 for a thin hoop...I think I use this for the ice caps

and I for a uniform sphere is 2/5mr^2

so since the uniform sphere will make the angular momentum less, the Earth will turn slower and the day will be longer?

does this sound right? or do the two angular momentums need to be set equal to each other? am i on the right track? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The angular momentum doesn't change; since there's no external torque on the earth, the angular momentum is conserved. What matters is how the rotational inertia of the "earth + ice/water" changes as the ice melts. Does the rotational inertia increase or decrease?

The rotation inertia increases because the mass is distributed in more parts around the earth? that means the Earth moves faster though, doesn't it? I am confused

The rotational inertia increases because the mass is redistributed further away from the axis of rotation.

How does angular momentum relate to angular speed and rotational inertia?

Ang mom. = intertia X ang. speed.

I = all the mr^2 added together

Good. So, if you understand that redistributions of mass on the Earth cannot affect the rotational inertia, what can you conclude about the angular speed if the ice caps melt?

if ang. momentum is conserved, and intertia goes up, speed must go down...so the days are longer?

You got it.

cool, thanks for the help Doc Al, much appreciated!

1. What would happen to the Earth's rotation if the polar ice caps melted?

If the polar ice caps melted, the Earth's rotation would actually speed up. This is because the redistribution of the melted water from the poles towards the equator would cause a shift in the Earth's mass distribution, resulting in a decrease in the moment of inertia and an increase in the Earth's rotation speed.

2. Would the length of a day change if the polar ice caps melted?

Yes, if the polar ice caps melted, the length of a day would change. As mentioned before, the Earth's rotation would speed up, causing the length of a day to become shorter. It is estimated that a day would become about 1.7 milliseconds shorter.

3. How would the melting of the polar ice caps affect the Earth's axis tilt?

The melting of the polar ice caps would not have a significant effect on the Earth's axis tilt. This is because the Earth's axis tilt is primarily determined by the gravitational pull of the Moon and the Sun, not by the distribution of water on Earth's surface.

4. Could the melting of the polar ice caps cause a change in the Earth's magnetic field?

No, the melting of the polar ice caps would not directly cause a change in the Earth's magnetic field. The Earth's magnetic field is primarily determined by the movement of molten iron in the Earth's outer core, not the distribution of water on the Earth's surface.

5. Are there any other factors that could affect the Earth's rotation if the polar ice caps melted?

Yes, there are other factors that could affect the Earth's rotation if the polar ice caps melted. For example, the melting of large ice sheets could also cause a shift in the Earth's mass distribution, resulting in a change in the Earth's rotation speed. Additionally, the melting of the polar ice caps could also lead to changes in ocean currents and wind patterns, which could also indirectly affect the Earth's rotation.