A multipurpose compressor possible ?

• Thread starter russelsmail
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compressor
In summary, an air compressor cannot be used to pump water. Centrifugal type = probably. Positive displacement type = doubt it. The primary issue is valving. A reciprocating water pump will require much larger inlet and discharge valves. Generally, air compressors are made with small valves that would have a huge pressure drop across them if water was introduced. Leakage past piston seals is generally a given. For water, the leakage must be safely carried away from the crankcase.
russelsmail
i m curious . Can an AIR compressor be used to pump water? for arguments sake just a simple for reciprocating compressor. i mean how different can it be? one fluid is replaced with another right !

Engineering news on Phys.org
What type of air compressor?

Centrifugal type = probably.
Positive displacement type = doubt it.

The primary issue is valving. A reciprocating water pump will require much larger inlet and discharge valves. Generally, air compressors are made with small valves that would have a huge pressure drop across them if water was introduced.

A secondary issue is piston seals. Leakage past piston seals is generally a given. For water, the leakage must be safely carried away from the crankcase.

russelsmail said:
i mean how different can it be?

It is poor engineering to make assumptions such as this (although good engineering to pose the question and search out the answer). Just because you can use a single term (fluid) to describe two items, does not mean that they share similarities anywhere you wish to apply them. You yourself said "air compressor" and "pump water" so it appears that you know there is a fundamental difference between the two fluids.

A better question would be "what are the fundamental differences between displacing AIR vs water in a reciprocating piston design."

Q_Goest gave a great simple answer with the small differences required, but I think it's important in this case to understand why those differences are neccessary.

As for your original question of course it would be possible, but the important questions are whether or not it could be made practical (the piston water leakage control would be dead weight to sling around when compressing air) or whether you could use ALL of the same equipment for both purposes (ie same valvetrain, driver, etc).

Differences in density, compressibility, and viscosity (and operating speed) would cause water to just about wreck most centrifugal machines designed for air. In terms of a reciprocating compressor, the differences in valve areas required and suitable valve actions for air versus water are substantial, not to mention seals, operating speeds, compressibility, etc.

In short, please don't try it. It is not a good idea.

roadrage912 said:
As for your original question of course it would be possible, but the important questions are whether or not it could be made practical (the piston water leakage control would be dead weight to sling around when compressing air) or whether you could use ALL of the same equipment for both purposes (ie same valvetrain, driver, etc).

thanks a lot evry1 roadrage :) ! i knew it wouldn't be a very practical one but u are saying it can be done.
lets say i use some other gas instead of air(forgetting all corrosion effects on the material of compressor) say ammonia. Now if my reciprocating compressor gives air at 7 kg a flow of 60 CFM with a motor 20 hp. what if i use the same for ammonia. can i roughly predict the parameters at the delivery. what are the Fundamental properties of gas that decide the discharge parameters.

Last edited:
Pumping liquids in a recoating compressor designed for air and not liquids usually results in damage due to what’s called a hydraulic lock. It you are lucky it will just stall but with enough force you can bend rods. Examples where this has happened are auto and aircraft engines as well as the early fridges, which used piston compressors.

If it is designed to pump liquids that is a different matter.

1. What is a multipurpose compressor and what can it be used for?

A multipurpose compressor is a device that is designed to compress gases such as air, nitrogen, or argon. It can be used in a variety of industries and applications, including refrigeration, air conditioning, pneumatic tools, and gas storage.

2. How does a multipurpose compressor work?

A multipurpose compressor works by drawing in air or gas through an inlet valve and then compressing it using a piston or rotating mechanism. The compressed air or gas is then stored in a tank or released through an outlet valve.

3. What are the benefits of using a multipurpose compressor?

Using a multipurpose compressor can increase efficiency and productivity in various industries. It can also save space by replacing multiple single-purpose compressors. Additionally, it can help reduce costs and energy consumption.

4. Are there different types of multipurpose compressors?

Yes, there are different types of multipurpose compressors, including reciprocating, rotary screw, and centrifugal compressors. Each type has its own advantages and is used in different applications.

5. How do I choose the right multipurpose compressor for my needs?

To choose the right multipurpose compressor, you should consider factors such as the required pressure and flow rate, the type of gas or air being compressed, and the intended use. It is best to consult with a compressor expert to determine the most suitable option for your specific needs.