Titration: Calculate pH at Equivalence Point (NH3 & HCl)

• Thread starter woox
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the pH at the equivalence point for the titration of 0.20 M NH3 with 0.20 M HCl. The expected pH is 5.12, but the person only managed to get 4.98. They tried using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation but it did not work. The conversation also mentions the importance of considering dilution in the calculations. The person asks for help and is directed to a resource on dilution effects.
woox

Homework Statement

Calculate the pH at the equivalence point for the titration of 0.20 M NH3 with 0.20 M HCl? Kb of ammonia is 1.8e-5

This is just a old test I am going over, I managed to get a pH of 4.98. but that is not right the right answer is 5.12 and I can't figure out why. I would assume you could use the henderson equation but I only get 4.98 which is wrong.

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Borek said:
acid base titration equivalence point calculation

Note: you should not use Henderson-Hasselbalch, however, you should not forget about dilution.

Even if I did not use HH equation I am getting the wrong answer.

So show details of your work, hard to say what you did wrong not knowing what you did.

Borek said:
So show details of your work, hard to say what you did wrong not knowing what you did.
k... using ICE table below:

2145854.jpg

Please reread my very first post in this thread. Every word of it.

Borek said:
Please reread my very first post in this thread. Every word of it.

I did and didn not use the HH eq, not do i understand what you mean by dilution.

I also read link, and this is onlything really useful that I understood but still does not explain what I am doing wrong:
In the case of titration of weak base with strong acid, situation is very similar - pH at the equivalence point is determined by the weak base salt hydrolysis. Thus we need pKa of conjugated acid to calculate H+ and pH. Check lecture and cheat sheet mentioned above for details.

It would be great if you told me what I am doing wrong...

Try here: dilution effects. Generally speaking, you have mixed two solutions, concentrations have changed as the final volume differs from the initial for each reagent.

1. What is titration and how is it used to calculate pH at the equivalence point?

Titration is a laboratory technique used to determine the concentration of a substance in a solution. In this specific scenario, titration is used to determine the pH at the equivalence point of a reaction between ammonia (NH3) and hydrochloric acid (HCl). This is done by gradually adding one solution (HCl) to another (NH3) until the reaction reaches the point where the moles of acid equal the moles of base, resulting in a neutral solution with a pH of 7.

2. What is the equivalence point and why is it important in titration?

The equivalence point is the point in a titration where the moles of acid equal the moles of base, resulting in a neutral solution. It is important in titration because it allows for the determination of the exact concentration of the substance being titrated. At the equivalence point, the pH of the solution can be calculated using the balanced chemical equation and the principles of stoichiometry.

3. How do you calculate the pH at the equivalence point of a reaction between NH3 and HCl?

To calculate the pH at the equivalence point, you need to know the initial concentrations of the acid and base, as well as the volume of each solution added. From there, you can use the balanced chemical equation to determine the number of moles of acid and base present at the equivalence point. Using this information, you can then use the formula pH = -log[H+], where [H+] is the concentration of hydrogen ions in the solution, to calculate the pH at the equivalence point.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating the pH at the equivalence point?

There are a few factors that can affect the accuracy of calculating the pH at the equivalence point. These include human error in measuring volumes, incomplete reaction between the acid and base, and the presence of impurities in the solutions. It is important to ensure proper technique and use of accurate equipment to minimize potential errors in the titration process.

5. How can titration be used in real-world applications?

Titration is a widely used technique in various industries, including pharmaceuticals, food and beverage production, and environmental testing. It can be used to determine the concentration of a specific substance in a solution, which is important for quality control and ensuring the proper functioning of products. For example, titration can be used in the production of medications to ensure the correct dosage of active ingredients, or in wastewater treatment to measure the levels of pollutants.