Solar Panels Q&A: Questions on Efficiency & Currents

In summary, these questions are about how solar panels work and how they could handle bigger currents. The first question is about how it is believed that with increase in current flow efficiency should fall, and the second question is about how solar cells could handle bigger currents if they use P-n potential for charge separation.
Stanley514
I have the following questions regarding solar panels.

1)Why solar panels which use sunlight concentrators gain in efficiency despite they produce
larger currents?Usually it`s believed that with increase in current flow efficiency should fall.
Example here is a fuel cells.

2)Currently sunlight concentration up to 100 times acheived on solar panels.Usual sunlight gives around 1000 Watts on square meter.100X1000=100 kW.How could solar cells handle
such big currents? If they use P-n potential for charge separation shouldn`t we increase voltage to deal with bigger currents?Or electrostatic potential of P-n junction (voltage) could stay the same as before?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Stanley514 said:
I have the following questions regarding solar panels.

1)Why solar panels which use sunlight concentrators gain in efficiency despite they produce
larger currents?Usually it`s believed that with increase in current flow efficiency should fall.
Example here is a fuel cells.

2)Currently sunlight concentration up to 100 times acheived on solar panels.Usual sunlight gives around 1000 Watts on square meter.100X1000=100 kW.How could solar cells handle
such big currents? If they use P-n potential for charge separation shouldn`t we increase voltage to deal with bigger currents?Or electrostatic potential of P-n junction (voltage) could stay the same as before?

What is the context of these questions? Is it for a school project or a class?

What is the context of these questions? Is it for a school project or a class?
Nothing like this.Just for personal interest and maybe for future inventions.
I`m just intereted how different energy conversion devices work.

Stanley514 said:
Nothing like this.Just for personal interest and maybe for future inventions.
I`m just intereted how different energy conversion devices work.

Fair enough. Where did you get the statements that you listed?

As a hint, do you know why a p-n junction gets more efficient as it heats up? Are you familiar with the temperature coefficient for switching speed in digital logic gates, and how it is different for CMOS circuits versus BJT-based circuits?

1. How do solar panels work?

Solar panels work by converting sunlight into usable electricity through the photovoltaic effect. This process involves the use of silicon cells, which when exposed to sunlight, generate a flow of electrons that creates an electrical current.

2. What factors affect the efficiency of solar panels?

The efficiency of solar panels can be affected by several factors, including the quality of the materials used, the angle and orientation of the panels, the amount of sunlight exposure, and the temperature of the panels. Dirt or shading on the panels can also decrease their efficiency.

3. How can I improve the efficiency of my solar panels?

To improve the efficiency of your solar panels, you can regularly clean them to remove any dirt or debris, ensure proper placement and angle, and consider using solar panel tracking systems that follow the sun's movement for maximum sunlight exposure.

4. What is the difference between AC and DC currents in solar panels?

Solar panels generate DC (direct current) electricity, while most homes and businesses use AC (alternating current) electricity. In order to use solar energy in your home or business, you will need an inverter to convert the DC electricity into AC electricity.

5. How long do solar panels last?

The lifespan of solar panels can vary, but they typically have a warranty of 25-30 years and can continue to produce electricity for even longer with proper maintenance. However, their efficiency may decrease over time, and they may need to be replaced after 25-30 years.