Why candle reduces cigarette smoke odor?

• Thread starter pixel01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Smoke
In summary, lighting a candle with a pleasant smell can prevent your nose from detecting the smoke smell in a room due to the number of odor receptors in the nose. The candle also diffuses the smoke and disrupts the layering effect, changing the atmosphere of the room. Some candles are specially formulated with enzymes to attack and remove smoke odor. The high temperature of the flame in a candle helps to oxidize odor-causing compounds, making them odorless. However, the most effective way to eliminate tobacco odors is to not smoke indoors. The use of candles is a temporary solution and may not completely eliminate the smell of smoke.
pixel01
Hi everybody,

I know some of my friends use candles when they smoke in a room saying that it can get rid of the cigarette odor. Can you explain it by physics (or chemistry).
I really do not know if this topic is suitable in here.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not physics or chemistry- it's anatomy. Your nose has a certain number of odor receptors that can be "overworked". If you light a candle with a pleasant smell, it can prevent your nose from detecting the smoke smell.

Likes Miz
Oh, it sounds cool. Thank you.
But I am still confused. Sometimes they even use plain candles which have almost no smell (except whey you blow it off). Or it is because of the psychology reason in this case?

Likes Miz
It also 'diffuses' the smoke in the room ---disrupts the 'layering' effect which annoys* some people ---

---(*yes, that's from experience-- ex-girl friend)

-----------------------------------

pixel01 said:
Oh, it sounds cool. Thank you.
But I am still confused. Sometimes they even use plain candles which have almost no smell (except whey you blow it off). Or it is because of the psychology reason in this case?

psychology reason?---changes the mood/atmosphere of the room, even without someone smoking---to quote the ex-girlfriend, again, -> romantic

Last edited:
Likes Miz
yeah i was also told by my friend to light a candle in a smoking room to avoid smoke odor. What is the reason behind this? Really confusing.

Likes Miz
You mean all sorts of candles ? !

Common use candles, birthday candles !

??

Ali Inam said:
You mean all sorts of candles ? !

Common use candles, birthday candles !

??

No, just those which have a special enzyme plug embedded in the candle close to the wick.
I have one here now.
BTW, they are expensive.

Some of those special candles have the enzymes throughout the candle(no plug)

Candles help to reduce tobacco odor in yet another way. Specifically, the high temperature of the flame promotes the oxidation of odor causing compounds (such as cigarette tar) to odorless carbon dioxide and water. In other words, by acting as a 'thermal reactor', a candle flame basically 'burns away' the smelly compounds in cigarette smoke (as well as other foul smelling compounds in the air). For this reason, candles are probably most effective when actually burned while smoking. This way, some of the smoke itself can actually be eliminated before the tar gets a chance to stick to walls, ceilings, and furniture.

On the other hand, NOTHING eliminates tobacco odors like NOT smoking indoors!

Likes Miz
There are a number of different sections of olfactory sensors in your nose, similar to the taste buds on your tongue. These sensors pick up different types of odors like sweet, dry, tart, spicy, etc. The particles from the cigarette smoke interact with a variety of these sensors causing your brain to recognize the scent. The fragrance from candles counter balance the negative smell of the cigarette smoke, neutralizing it. Then adds positive, pleasant aromas which causes your brain to tell you that you are smelling something which is good.

Likes Miz
StorminMatt said:
Candles help to reduce tobacco odor in yet another way. Specifically, the high temperature of the flame promotes the oxidation of odor causing compounds (such as cigarette tar) to odorless carbon dioxide and water. In other words, by acting as a 'thermal reactor', a candle flame basically 'burns away' the smelly compounds in cigarette smoke (as well as other foul smelling compounds in the air). For this reason, candles are probably most effective when actually burned while smoking. This way, some of the smoke itself can actually be eliminated before the tar gets a chance to stick to walls, ceilings, and furniture.

On the other hand, NOTHING eliminates tobacco odors like NOT smoking indoors!

Intuitively that explanation seems unlikely to me. What is the oxidation rate of a candle compared to the volume of air in a room?

Wow, the third revival of this thread in five years! :bugeye:

jtbell said:
Wow, the third revival of this thread in five years! :bugeye:

hahaha is it a record for a thread on PF ?

Dave

Likes Miz

1. Why do candles reduce cigarette smoke odor?

Candles help reduce cigarette smoke odor because they release fragrant oils into the air that can mask the smell of smoke. Additionally, the heat from the flame helps to circulate the air and disperse the smoke particles, making them less noticeable.

2. How do candles actually eliminate the odor?

Candles do not eliminate the odor, but rather mask it with a more pleasant scent. The fragrance from the candle mixes with the smoke particles in the air, making them less noticeable to the nose.

3. Is there a specific type of candle that works best for reducing cigarette smoke odor?

Soy or beeswax candles tend to be more effective at reducing cigarette smoke odor compared to paraffin wax candles. This is because soy and beeswax are natural and have a lower melting point, which allows them to release more fragrance into the air.

4. How long do candles need to be lit to reduce cigarette smoke odor?

The duration of time needed to reduce cigarette smoke odor with candles will vary depending on the size of the room and the strength of the candle's fragrance. Generally, it is recommended to burn the candle for at least 30 minutes to an hour to see noticeable results.

5. Can candles completely eliminate cigarette smoke odor?

No, candles cannot completely eliminate cigarette smoke odor. They can help to reduce the smell, but the most effective way to eliminate the odor is to ensure proper ventilation and to use air purifiers or odor-eliminating sprays. It is also important to regularly clean and deodorize surfaces and fabrics that may hold onto the smell of smoke.