Powers of integers and factorials

In summary, the individual has discovered a rule for predicting the number of rounds it will take for a repeated integer to appear in a sequence of integers raised to different powers. This rule is related to factorials, as shown by the digital roots of the sequence. The individual is seeking further guidance and is interested in exploring any potential applications of this discovery in mathematics.
sjohnsey
I would like some direction on studying powers of integers and if they are in any way related to factorials. I was studying the sequence of cubics 1, 8, 27, 64, 125 and so. After a certain number of rounds of a basic rule I choose to apply to this sequence, I arrived at a new sequence where one particular integer (not 0 nor 1) was repeated. I tried a sequence of integers raised to fourth power and found that my process brought about similar results. Depending on the exponent ( natural number ) used on the integers that I write out, I can now predict how many rounds it will take to get to the repeated integer and also predict that the repeated integer is a certain factorial. I am not referring to 0! nor 1! Does this discovery for me seem important or useful to any branch of math? I am new at asking questions here; I enjoy patterns with numbers and am trying to write conjectures or maybe a theorem or two from my discoveries. thanks for the help .

Physics news on Phys.org
sjohnsey said:
I would like some direction on studying powers of integers and if they are in any way related to factorials. I was studying the sequence of cubics 1, 8, 27, 64, 125 and so. After a certain number of rounds of a basic rule I choose to apply to this sequence, I arrived at a new sequence where one particular integer (not 0 nor 1) was repeated. I tried a sequence of integers raised to fourth power and found that my process brought about similar results. Depending on the exponent ( natural number ) used on the integers that I write out, I can now predict how many rounds it will take to get to the repeated integer and also predict that the repeated integer is a certain factorial. I am not referring to 0! nor 1! Does this discovery for me seem important or useful to any branch of math? I am new at asking questions here; I enjoy patterns with numbers and am trying to write conjectures or maybe a theorem or two from my discoveries. thanks for the help .

You are going to have to tell us what rule you used.

For whatever its worth, without any reference to factorials, the digital root of n^3 is 1, 8, 9 repeating, while the digital root of the sum of cubes (Triangular Numbers Squared) is 1,9,9 repeating. As opposed, for instance, to the digital root of n^2, which is 1,4,9,7,7,9,4,1,9 repeating.

Curious what your "rule" is.

Last edited:
Why would the rule be important in order to give me some direction? It is a simple rule applied to all terms of the sequence. Is there a known relationship between integers raised to a specific power and a factorial?

sjohnsey said:
Why would the rule be important in order to give me some direction?

What's 31 + 31, sjohnsey?

Might the answer to that question not depend on what base was our mutual reference point?

Let me be the first to assure you: whatever you are or are not "on to" is probably quite trivial, even if correct.

sjohnsey said:
Is there a known relationship between integers raised to a specific power and a factorial?
Sure, the nth series of differences of a power series ( a^n where "a" takes on the values 0,1,2,3...) is n! I gave a long proof of this fact to my High School teacher in 1962 and she told me that there was a simpler proof, but she couldn't recall what it was.

Last edited:
Thanks for that help. I am in a bit of rush right now but I will look into that more. I am not really working with a series, just the sequence of integers. For example do you know how to relate 1^3, 2^3, 3^3, 4^3 and so on to 3! ?

sjohnsey said:
Thanks for that help. I am in a bit of rush right now but I will look into that more. I am not really working with a series, just the sequence of integers. For example do you know how to relate 1^3, 2^3, 3^3, 4^3 and so on to 3! ?

It is the same thing when I said series I meant sequence(s) also. So now that I gave you a rule to get n!, what is your rule? or is it the same?

Thanks very much Dodo. That is very close to what I was looking for. I will study what K. W. has to offer!

1. What are powers of integers?

Powers of integers are numbers that are obtained by multiplying an integer by itself a certain number of times. For example, 2 to the power of 3 (written as 2^3) is equal to 2 x 2 x 2 = 8.

2. What are factorials?

Factorials are numbers that are obtained by multiplying a positive integer by all the positive integers that come before it. For instance, 5 factorial (written as 5!) is equal to 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 120.

3. How are powers of integers and factorials related?

Powers of integers and factorials are related in that factorials can be seen as a specific type of power, where the base number is always a positive integer and the exponent is the number of factors being multiplied together. For example, 5! is equivalent to 5^5.

4. What are some real-life applications of powers of integers and factorials?

Powers of integers and factorials have many practical applications in fields such as mathematics, engineering, and physics. They are used in calculating probabilities, determining growth rates, and solving complex equations.

5. How can I calculate powers of integers and factorials?

Calculating powers of integers and factorials can be done manually using multiplication, or with a calculator. There are also mathematical formulas and algorithms that can be used to simplify the calculation process for larger numbers.