Libya: Rebels Being Slaughtered, no fly zone

• News
  • Thread starter nismaratwork
  • Start date
In summary, CNN's Senior International Correspondent Nic Robertson and his crew were detained Friday in Tajura, Libya, east of Tripoli by forces loyal to Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi. Robertson and his crew were threatened with execution by Gadhafi's thugs if they did not get in the car and leave. The crew hesitated for a split-second, and Robertson's camera man, Khalil Abdallah, pulled the trigger of an AK-47 and Robertson screamed, "Itla, itla" (meaning "get in the car, get in the car"). The crew got into the car and sped away, and Robertson saw an AK-47 being cocked and the weapon being pulled back
An AL contribution:

An un-named French official tells the AFP news agency that the United Arab Emirates has pledged 24 aircraft to the coalition and Qatar between four and six.

Physics news on Phys.org
cobalt124 said:
An AL contribution:

An un-named French official tells the AFP news agency that the United Arab Emirates has pledged 24 aircraft to the coalition and Qatar between four and six.

Hmmm... I'll offer congrats when I see them fly and use munitions.

nismaratwork said:
Hmmm... I'll offer congrats when I see them fly and use munitions.

Yes, thinking about it, that may be a giant step to take, and may just be a token gesture.

BBC:

Reports from Benghazi say rebels have regained control of the city after driving out forces loyal to Col Gaddafi. The rebels say roads to the east are clogged with car loads of people fleeing

cobalt124 said:
BBC (earlier today):

The coalition's long-term aim of the military action in Libya is to overthrow Col Gaddafi, Oliver Miles, the former British ambassador to the country, tells the BBC. He adds: "I'm not against that, but as a war aim it's not adequate. What is going to come in Gaddafi's place?"

If this is true, it certainly isn't part of the U.N. mandate, but, practically speaking, must be the best outcome for all concerned, save one, and those who cling to him.

the really interesting thing is, france no longer recognizes gaddafi as the legitimate head of state of libya. this happened several days ago in fact. they've already chosen the next government.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12699183

this has a lot of interesting implications, doesn't it? it's generally recognized that governments don't go out to assassinate heads of state. even the US outlawed it a while back.

also, there's a lot of oil contracts on the line here. spain and italy were the old regime profiteers, and stand to lose quite a lot. why so much silence from them? are the brits and french about to come in and take it from them? or at least the lion's share? it's all very fascinating.

Proton Soup said:
the really interesting thing is, france no longer recognizes gaddafi as the legitimate head of state of libya. this happened several days ago in fact. they've already chosen the next government.

Yes, I'm left wondering why France did that, it was a very courageous? move.

Proton Soup said:
this has a lot of interesting implications, doesn't it? it's generally recognized that governments don't go out to assassinate heads of state. even the US outlawed it a while back.

Gadaffi doesn't have to be assassinated, though he may insist that will happen. He has the choice of stepping down (fat chance), then the problem is who would have him. Antarctica?

Proton Soup said:
also, there's a lot of oil contracts on the line here. spain and italy were the old regime profiteers, and stand to lose quite a lot. why so much silence from them? are the brits and french about to come in and take it from them? or at least the lion's share? it's all very fascinating.

Forgive me, I'm very naive, and I hope this isn't primarily to do with oil. It's a miracle there is actually a consensus to do something about Gadaffi.

cobalt124 said:
Yes, I'm left wondering why France did that, it was a very courageous? move.

Gadaffi doesn't have to be assassinated, though he may insist that will happen. He has the choice of stepping down (fat chance), then the problem is who would have him. Antarctica?

if you think back to iraq, then you may remember that we were careful not to target Saddam Hussein directly. or at least that is what we said. and then we captured him and he was tried, convicted, and executed.

Forgive me, I'm very naive, and I hope this isn't primarily to do with oil. It's a miracle there is actually a consensus to do something about Gadaffi.

it's no more a miracle than doing something about Hussein. in both cases, there are assets at stake. and cutting off an irreplaceable source of prime petroleum at a time when the world economy is already shaky may be giving arab governments pause, as well. the last thing they want is even higher food prices. that would mean more citizens protesting in the streets for government reforms.

cobalt124 said:

I'm thinking it's high time they send another man to the moon... Spacesuit not required.

mugaliens said:
I'm thinking it's high time they send another man to the moon... Spacesuit not required.

I have to say, I truly believe that Ghaddafi has to die before this can end, whether it's assasination by his own people, exposure through mass defections, or direct action from outside of Libya, he needs to die, and his children.

@Proton: Remember that Iraq and Hussein were US allies, and a means to buffer the Arab world from Iran. We had an interest in him... ghaddafi is only a hinderance. He's no longer a recognized head of state, and his children even less so; he's a dead man walking. I'd add, he's not Hussein, he won't hide, he'll die first and in doing so he's the type to take as many with him as possible. This is a textbook example of needing to decapitate the leadership completely, and allow some kind of natural order to return. We can't hope to guide Libya's diverse tribes, only free them, and the quickest way to that is to remove all semblance of central leadership.

You destroy a cult of personality by killing its head, and then removing the limbs that would otherwise function without the head. In this case, Ghaddafi is the figurehead at this point, and his children the limbs; they need to die, unless by some miracle they surrender, in which case they die in a few years.

Jimmy Snyder said:
David Cameron, British PM, assures us that Libya will not be another Iraq. Libyan leader Khadafy (aka Qaddafi) has expressed concern that Libya will be another Viet Nam. This is a real posibility since, according to American officials, Iraq is not another Viet Nam. Calls to Viet Nam asking for comment have not been returned. Afghanistan has warned that they will not accept being another Libya. However, Libya has assured Kabul that Korea will take precedence for being another Libya. Meanwhile, Canada (another USA) has indicated that they will welcome to their shores, people objecting to any country becoming another Viet Nam. The UN passed another resolution against Israel to the satisfaction of all.

One of your best works, Jimmy :biggrin:.

nismaratwork said:
By definition, we also have to be the first to strike...

But we weren't! The first to make a strike were the French; and not an arbitrary choice I would bet.

mugaliens said:

I'm being far too kind. I thought about a manned mission to Mars, and there was that plan for the one way "heroic" mission, and it did include the spacesuit.

BBC:

0138: Clovis Maksoud, a former Arab League representative to the UN, tells the BBC that Arab states will soon join the operation in Libya: "They will do it within the framework of the United Nations. Qatar and the United Arab Emirates, perhaps Jordan, will join in one form or another in whatever the leadership of the UN operation requires. There is a willingness to participate in whatever capacity they can. Already they have deployed some of their aircraft to help the coalition."

The Pentagon says it will transfer command of Operation Odyssey Dawn in the coming days, almost certainly to Nato. But that will happen only after the Americans have established that the first wave of attacks has done sufficient damage to Libya's air defences for a no fly zone to be safely patrolled."

My turn to be confused:

0929: UK Chancellor George Osborne, who attended a meeting of the government's emergency Cobra committee before the first mission on Saturday - says the UN mandate authorising action in Libya is "very clear" - adding there are no plans for putting troops on the ground "at the moment".

There's being two or three comments on deploying of ground troops, I'm wondering "Whose?", as I have only heard national leaders say they would specifically not deploy ground troops. French? Arab League? U.S. and U.K. and the rebels themselves have said no to ground troops, which would be difficult anyway due to ongoing commitments elsewhere.

Shami Chakrabarti, director of UK human rights organisation Liberty said the current action was justified. But she added: "There seems to be a lack of clarity about the difference between any ground forces at all, and an occupying force.

1008: Libyan rebel spokesman Mustafa Gheriani in Tobruk tells the BBC that Benghazi is "fairly safe", having taken a heavy pounding from pro-Gaddafi forces on Saturday. "There's a few remnants of Gaddafi's embedded cells operating but for the most part they've been eliminated." He says that, so far, the intervention of western powers has been very effective. "We want to change a tyrant - this guy is a criminal and has to be judged as one," he adds

1101: A spokesman for the American military - Col Franklin Childress - has confirmed to the BBC reports that B-2 stealth bombers have dropped around 40 conventional bombs on Libyan targets. Col Childress said he could not specify which targets had been attacked. He said that Tomahawk missiles might continue to be used in the campaign

Ivan Seeking said:
But we weren't! The first to make a strike were the French; and not an arbitrary choice I would bet.

True... I'd also guess it's no coincidence. For all that this is a joint 'French-British' venture, the French are all over it, and the UK is providing... 4 jets.

cobalt124 said:
My turn to be confused:

0929: UK Chancellor George Osborne, who attended a meeting of the government's emergency Cobra committee before the first mission on Saturday - says the UN mandate authorising action in Libya is "very clear" - adding there are no plans for putting troops on the ground "at the moment".

There's being two or three comments on deploying of ground troops, I'm wondering "Whose?", as I have only heard national leaders say they would specifically not deploy ground troops. French? Arab League? U.S. and U.K. and the rebels themselves have said no to ground troops, which would be difficult anyway due to ongoing commitments elsewhere.

Understand that troops might include special operations to gather intel and target on the ground, but it's not the same as dropping an invasion force. Still, people hate even a technical lie, so this is butt-covering, and I suppose, honesty.

nismaratwork said:
Understand that troops might include special operations to gather intel and target on the ground, but it's not the same as dropping an invasion force. Still, people hate even a technical lie, so this is butt-covering, and I suppose, honesty.

My reading of their words implies "invasion force". The wording seems to keep many options open, or is creating grey areas. Maybe it's just the nature of the beast.

cobalt124 said:
My reading of their words implies "invasion force". The wording seems to keep many options open, or is creating grey areas. Maybe it's just the nature of the beast.

I'd agree, except that an invasion force is the one thing explicitly forbidden by UN-1973... if that's ingored then all of this diplo-cover was for nothing.

BBC:

1219: Arab countries will be moving "military assets" to the region in the next few days, Dr Fox adds. He says this is vital to demonstrating that this is an international effort, not the west imposing its will.

It seems that William Hague, U.K. Foreign Secretary doesn't have much to say about all of this, he's possibly being kept out of it to some extent because of the recent farce with the helicopter he sent into Libya.

Jimmy Snyder said:
David Cameron, British PM, assures us that Libya will not be another Iraq. Libyan leader Khadafy (aka Qaddafi) has expressed concern that Libya will be another Viet Nam. This is a real posibility since, according to American officials, Iraq is not another Viet Nam. Calls to Viet Nam asking for comment have not been returned. Afghanistan has warned that they will not accept being another Libya. However, Libya has assured Kabul that Korea will take precedence for being another Libya. Meanwhile, Canada (another USA) has indicated that they will welcome to their shores, people objecting to any country becoming another Viet Nam. The UN passed another resolution against Israel to the satisfaction of all.
Brilliant!

I think that it's safe to say Tripoli will be leveled before the USA commits Vietnam-type troops counts.

BBC:

1450: More from US military chief Adm Mullen, who says planes from Qatar are now moving into position near Libya

Jimmy Snyder said:
Gee, Jimmy. I thought you were being serious with that post. And then I got to the last sentence.

Al Aziziyah was hit by 2 cruise missiles, according to Nic Robertson on the scene (CNN), but not independently verified. As that is Tripoli-ish... I'm feeling good about post #130.

0011: An apparent missile strike has caused extensive damage to Col Gaddafi's compound in Tripoli. Journalists who were taken to the Bab al-Aziziya complex said a four-storey administrative building had been flattened. There has been no word of any casualties. The Pentagon has denied that Col Gaddafi is a target.

This is the place to hit.

cobalt124 said:
0011: An apparent missile strike has caused extensive damage to Col Gaddafi's compound in Tripoli. Journalists who were taken to the Bab al-Aziziya complex said a four-storey administrative building had been flattened. There has been no word of any casualties. The Pentagon has denied that Col Gaddafi is a target.

This is the place to hit.

Indeed... that should give the Libyan C&C something to think about, and maybe impetus to kill Ghaddafi et al rather than let the next missile land on THEM.

Did those Tomahawks fired into Al Aziziyah have a low-yield warhead?... there seems to be more left of the compound and missile body than I would have expected...

cobalt124 said:
The Pentagon has denied that Col Gaddafi is a target.
Why not? He's the problem, he should be the primary target.

On another note, why is it that the Colonel is still a Colonel after 30 years? He should have made General by now.

Al68 said:
Why not? He's the problem, he should be the primary target.

On another note, why is it that the Colonel is still a Colonel after 30 years? He should have made General by now.

You think he deserves a promotion? He has the tactical and strategic mind of a kumquat.

There's no perma-link to this image, so it might go AWOL in a little while. But I wanted to share this. It's a coalition air-strike on Libyan ground vehicles. New York Times reports there were "government vehicles" targeted. I'm not sure that I've heard of this yet. I understood all air operations to be in an effort to preserve the no-fly zone plus reconnaissance.

Prelude to ground war?

libya-sfSpan-v2.jpg

Interesting fact: The attack on Libya began eight years to the day after the invasion of Iraq began - March 19, 2003.

Ivan Seeking said:
Interesting fact: The attack on Libya began eight years to the day after the invasion of Iraq began - March 19, 2003.

Everyone gets restless after a long winter.