Career Change: Aerospace Degree at 26 | Advice Needed

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's academic journey and their dilemma between pursuing a master's degree in economics or another bachelor's degree in aerospace engineering. The other participants in the conversation offer advice and share their own experiences, ultimately leading the speaker to decide to pursue a bachelor's degree in aerospace engineering.
sandplasma
Hi guys, I'll start with a little history of myself.

I entered the University of Illinois (champaign) into the dept of Electrical/Computer engineering thinking that this was what I wanted to do..and to be honest I wasnt very well informed or aware that Computer Engineering was the design and creation of computers. At the time I was looking into programming (computer science) and possibly got into the wrong field. Anyway, after two years of taking all the hard math and physics courses and doing fairly ok in most I decided that I didnt like it as much as I thought.

I did poorly in some classes because I couldn't manage my time and possibly a small lack of interest. After that door sort of closed on me I decided to change into Aerospace but for that to happen I had to take other courses to bring my GPA up etc etc..

Long story short, in the interest of graduating on time, I decided to apply all my math and physics into a Mathematical/Quantitative Economics degree. Now that I look back I have some regrets.

Anyway, the thought of getting an Aerospace degree has NEVER left my mind and now that I'm financially stable with a pretty good job..and debating whether I want to get a Masters in an economics related field (and be financially more stable) or go for what I want, I have decided that I want to pursue the degree in Aerospace. I am 26 now, I graduated in 2006 so its been a while.. I have found that the Illinois Institute of Technology offers such a program. The only other school that offers Aerospace is U of I back south in Champaign.

To be honest I guess I am just asking for some words of wisdom or guidance as I keep thinking that getting a masters would be more worthwhile for my future rather than persuing another bachelors. Yet I can't get the thought out of my mind after watching documentary after documentary on rockets, propulsion, airplanes etc

I hope this makes some sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
Get a bachelors. If you're going into aerospace engineering, then you will be able to land a very high paying job with just your bachelors (average starting salary is about 60k). You will be happier in life, and believe me, three or four years later, you will thank yourself for having chosen a path that is more suited to your interests.

Ask yourself this question. Would you really like to pay for a masters degree in a field you're not even interested in? A masters degree will not change your salary by much, so it boils down to interest. You'll probably be able to have transfer credits on a lot of your math courses, and possibly some of your programming courses, reducing the time required to obtain a B.Eng in Aerospace. Overall, you'll be dishing out more money to get the B.Eng than you would have paid for the Masters, but at least you'll be compensated in the long run by an increase in overall salary and going to work everyday doing something you enjoy. You spend on average 40 hours/week for 35+ years of your life in a career. Why not make it both rewarding and enjoyable?

With a mathematics degree, you can usually negotiate with the institution and have them let you take the prerequisite classes for engineering. I think this is a lot easier for physics students, but I've heard of math/CS students doing it as well. If you do well in those classes, you can be registered as an official grad student.

Definitely talk with some of the departments, don't go for a BS degree. That's a waste of time and you'll probably spend more money anyway. Since you've already got a BS in something quantitative, it doesn't make a huge amount of sense to do so, unless you don't have that much interest in research.

I agree with hadsed - don't go for another BS. With a math & physics background, you should be able to catch up by taking some higher level AE courses.

If it's something you can't stop thinking about, and you think it would make you extremely happy, then go for it. Worst case is that you just switch to a different masters program.

All I can say is plan for a specific job and not a specific major. I got a master's degree in Mechanical Engineering (controls and dynamics) but I got it at a university which was no where near where I wanted to live for the rest of my life and now I can't find a job that would actually use what I studied in the places I'd like to live. I managed to get a job in my home town but it's a design engineering position and incredibly boring.

So I'd suggest figuring out a company or area you'd like to work in first, and then try to get a university in that area because often faculty and local businesses have connections. If you go back to school with a specific company in mind you can intern with em (which will let you be sure if you really want to work for em) and almost be a shoe in after graduating.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I don't know if i would qualify as going too deep in math physics. I took all the math required for engineering and all but 1 physics course. Either way I did find your information useful and I will be setting up a meeting with a counselor at the University.

Thank you very much guys/gals!

I'd like to thank everyone again, I applied to the Illinois Institute of Technology and just received word that I had been accepted. I'm excited and a little concerned with what changes it may bring. This thread really helped in making me make the decision so thanks again!

Congratulations!

=/ Its $15,500 per semester. wow...

Illinois Institute of Technology..now I'm thinking of just changing to Mechanical and attending UIC instead. I didnt know it was so expensive.

Usually if you get a scholarship over a certain amount per year, schools will wave the out-of-state portion of the tuition. You might look into that.

Its in state, its just private which is why its so expensive.

Well, I doubt many kids or kids' parents have the money to plop down 30k a year in tuition alone. However, usually private colleges give you ways around it. Don't dismiss it just yet is all I'm saying!

The only other school that has Aero is in Champaign a few hours away. I'd have to quit my job to pursue that. I'm looking at UIC's Mechanical Eng program which costs half as much per semester. I still haven't dismissed it yet, still looking at my possibilites.

What is the average age for someone to switch careers into aerospace?

The average age for someone to switch careers into aerospace is around 26-30 years old. This is because most people have completed their undergraduate degree and gained some work experience before deciding to pursue a career in aerospace.

Is it too late to start a career in aerospace at 26?

No, it is not too late to start a career in aerospace at 26. Many individuals switch careers at this age and are able to successfully enter the aerospace industry. It may require additional education and training, but it is definitely possible.

What are the job opportunities for someone with an aerospace degree?

There are many job opportunities for someone with an aerospace degree. Some common job roles include aerospace engineer, aircraft mechanic, aerospace technician, and aerospace systems analyst. There are also opportunities in research and development, production, and management roles.

What skills are important for a career in aerospace?

Some important skills for a career in aerospace include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, excellent communication and teamwork abilities, and proficiency in technical software and tools. Additionally, having a passion for and knowledge of the aerospace industry is crucial.

What advice do you have for someone considering a career change into aerospace?

My advice would be to research the industry and job opportunities thoroughly, network with professionals in the field, and gain relevant education and experience. It may also be beneficial to seek out internships or entry-level positions to gain hands-on experience and make connections in the industry.