Pursuing a Career In Engineering

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's dilemma in choosing a career between engineering and physics. They have a strong interest and aptitude in both subjects, but are unsure which path will satisfy their desire to understand the deeper meaning of reality. They also mention the importance of good communication and English skills in a technical field and the possibility of studying physics as a hobby. Ultimately, they are advised to explore both fields and determine which appeals to them more.
sqrt(-1)<3PF
I am in my final year of high school and registered in engineering for post secondary. I highly enjoyed all the sciences offered in school and I also have a high aptitude and interest in English. Initially, I wasn't talented at math, but I worked very hard. Now in grade 12, I got my first A in math, and also aced AP physics (as well as AP English literature). What has driven me is my desire to understand the deeper meaning of reality -- I am rather philosophical.

Anyways, here's my dilemma: what career do I choose?
I never thought being well-rounded would be such a pain.

I am interested in Engineering because it is structured around physics, and, although I highly appreciate and respect all the sciences, I have deduced physics to be the most fundamental way to explain the interactions we observe. However, I am under the impression that engineering sparsely delves into the "why" of how the universe operates, and is simply a mechanical, calculating, methodical way of applying rules that are only understood to a rather limited extent. Now, I understand that becoming a physicist seems an obvious path for me, but I am not so sure. I am an active and physical individual. A career as a physicist, to me, evokes images of stagnant desk-life and countless hunched-over hours of abstract research and studying. I would rather make something and watch it do things. I would rather use my skills to directly contribute to society.

So here's my question: Do you think that I, being deeply inspired by the answer of "why," could have a satisfying career in engineering, which is, to what I've gathered, centralized around the application of "how?"

Is understanding "why" not the best way to understand "how?"

And money doesn't buy happiness, but it's sure as hell conducive to it.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A couple thoughts to consider. Having good communication and English skills will be very helpful to someone in a technical field. Secondly, just because you love physics doesn't mean you have to major in it. You can study physics as a hobby and find loads of enjoyment out of it, as many people do.

It sounds to me like engineering would be a perfect fit for you! But I think you should find out for yourself if an engineering curriculum will satisfy your "why" questions. I seriously doubt that you will find that it's just a "plug 'n chug" field.

The first year or two of engineering and physics majors are very similar, so you don't have to decide right away. I'd advise you to take that path and see which appeals to you.

Personally I think you get out of education what you put into it, and you can go as deep as you want into engineering -- there is no "don't go past this line" limit.

What you say about yourself could have well described me in high school. I was told that I should study engineering, but I started college at a small school that did not offer an engineering degree. I spent a year as a physics major, and a couple of years as a math major. After changing schools, I got into Mechanical Engineering and I really loved it. By that time, I was somewhat ahead in math and physics, although I was a bit behind in some engineering classes. The extra math particularly was a huge advantage all the way through, and I never regretted it for a moment.

If you want to delve into the whys of the world, do physics. (Though more likely you'll wind up focusing a large amount of time on a select few "why's" pretty closely related to each other)

If you want to take things at face value and use them practically to solve problems and create things (and if you don't mind essentially being a business tool, as opposed to like an inventor or something) then perhaps engineering is for you.

1. What types of engineering careers are available?

There are many different types of engineering careers, including mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, civil engineering, chemical engineering, and computer engineering. These fields can be further broken down into more specialized areas of study.

2. What education is required for a career in engineering?

To become an engineer, you typically need at least a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field. Some positions may require a master's degree or even a Ph.D. It is also important to stay up-to-date with advancements in the field through continuing education and professional development courses.

3. What skills are necessary for a career in engineering?

Some key skills for a career in engineering include problem-solving, critical thinking, attention to detail, and strong communication skills. Engineers also need to have a strong foundation in mathematics, science, and technology.

4. What types of projects do engineers work on?

Engineers can work on a wide range of projects, including designing new products, developing new technologies, constructing buildings and infrastructure, and improving existing systems. They may also work on research and development projects to advance the field of engineering.

5. What is the job outlook for engineers?

The job outlook for engineers is generally positive, with a projected growth rate of 4% from 2019 to 2029, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. However, job prospects may vary depending on the specific field of engineering and current economic conditions.