Friction and Tension along a Curved Path

In summary, the conversation is about a project involving a pinned beam with a force of tension and a coefficient of friction. The person is doubting themselves and asking for clarification on the problem. They are also discussing the legibility of the attached image and the need to clearly state the question. The actual problem is determining the angles at which the beam will stay in static equilibrium.
aeb2335
I just want to make sure my thinking and free body is correct before I go further in a project I am working on; for some strange reason (probably the curved path) I am doubting myself.

I will try and explain the problem but the attached image is probably the best description.

There is a beam that is pinned at A on one end and free to move along a path of constant curvature (a circle) at the other end; There is a force of tension FT that acts on the beam at an angle θ with a coefficient of friction of μs. Neglect gravity.

Attachments

• SCAN0201.jpg
    SCAN0201.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 403
Physics news on Phys.org
I expect if you were to post your information a bit more legibly and actually state your question you might receive an answer.

If this is homework then you should read the instructions about posting it.

Can you redraw the graph? Its not clear to me and I have bad eyes :(

Yea I never really did state the actual problem I got a bit too excited. The question is for what angles theta phi and gamma does the beam stay in static equilibrium. I will re-post a better picture shortly.

Lmao!

1. What is friction and tension?

Friction is a force that resists motion between two surfaces that are in contact. Tension is a force that is transmitted through a string, rope, or cable when it is pulled at both ends.

2. How does friction and tension affect an object moving along a curved path?

As an object moves along a curved path, friction and tension act in different directions. Friction acts in the opposite direction of motion, while tension acts towards the center of the curve. These forces can cause the object to slow down or change direction.

3. What factors can affect the amount of friction and tension along a curved path?

The amount of friction and tension along a curved path can be affected by the surface materials, the weight and shape of the object, and the speed at which the object is moving. Additionally, the angle and radius of the curve can also affect these forces.

4. How can friction and tension be minimized along a curved path?

To minimize friction and tension along a curved path, the surface materials can be changed to reduce the roughness or increase the smoothness between the object and the surface. The weight of the object can also be reduced, and the speed of the object can be adjusted to reduce the forces acting on it.

5. How can friction and tension be utilized along a curved path?

Friction and tension can be utilized along a curved path in various ways, such as using them to steer a vehicle or to slow down an object. In some cases, these forces can also be used to generate energy, such as in roller coasters or braking systems in vehicles.