Horrible TV Marathons: Honey Boo Boo, Storage Wars, Swamp People & More

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, this show will feature an Atlanta-based hip-hop artist with 11 children by 10 different women and it is being promoted as an outrageous and authentic show filled with over-the-top moments.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I hope this isn't a sign of what's to come, TV marathons today. IMO, these shows shouldn't even exist.

TNL - Here Comes Honey Boo Boo

A&E - Storage Wars

History Channel - Swamp People

Life - Dance Moms (nastiest humans on earth)

National Geographic - Doomsday Preppers

Animal Channel - Finding Bigfoot

A bit of hope, PBS here aired all of Michael Palins "Himalaya"

Travel Channel - Mysteries at the Museum

I can't even imagine watching ONE episode of "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo", just watching a commercial for it is bad enough. Anyone found other bad marathons?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is TV?

The Running Channel is doing a marathon marathon.

I'm really tired of the annual Twilight Zone marathon on the Sci-Fi channel. However, I was grateful for the Walking Dead marathon on AMC last night.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Lol.

Why even watch TV? You can get whatever content you want on the internet.

They had another baby show on TLC today, it was literally full of psychotic moms!

I also really loved Michael Palins! I doubt there's anyone on the TV today like him. BBC is also good. I was just watching Hardtalk today where Stephen Sackur was grilling the Equatorial Guniea president with one after another tough question. I was really surprised to see how Sackur managed to pull all the interview so professionally.

Evo, I couldn't agree more with you about that Dance Mom thing. I surfed into that once and it is just unbelievably disgusting. It is shameful what those kids are being put up to. I think it's child abuse even if the kids don't know it.

Yes honey boo boo ftw <3...that girl is an inspiration for us all!

phinds said:
Evo, I couldn't agree more with you about that Dance Mom thing. I surfed into that once and it is just unbelievably disgusting. It is shameful what those kids are being put up to. I think it's child abuse even if the kids don't know it.
I'm just amazed that social services aren't intervening. The behaviour of those mothers is unacceptable. Of course, as in all reality shows, what you see is rarely real. There have been a number of lawsuits about shows being faked. But even a child subjected to this type of behaviour on a show is unacceptable, and I'm sure a lot of these women are probably as bad in real life. I have to wonder when the public is going to speak up and demand a halt to this insanity. Why is socially unacceptable behavior and mental cruelty the basis for entertainment? Ok, I can't believe I asked that.

Swamp people is filmed a lot in my hometown, Pierre Part LA.

Evo said:
I have to wonder when the public is going to speak up and demand a halt to this insanity.

Sadly, not likely to happen.

Why is socially unacceptable behavior and mental cruelty the basis for entertainment? Ok, I can't believe I asked that.

Well, you answered yourself on that one :smile:

It's all very sad and unfortunate.

Jimmy Snyder said:

Even if they show episodes of Family Feud asking about marathons?

Worst type of shoes to wear in a marathon?

Shockingly, scuba flippers didn't receive enough votes to be listed!

Top answers:

1 High heels
2 Sandals
3 Boots
4 Dress shoes
5 Golf shoes

6 years without TV here.

phinds said:
When "Honey Boo Boo" gets old enough to realize what her mother did to her, she will be mortified. I have never seen the show, but the ads alone are cringe-worthy enough to preclude that. Now, THAT is child abuse. That little kid won't have a chance growing up.

Last edited:
tahayassen said:
6 years without TV here.
I went ten years without TV in my 20's and 30's. Never missed it for a second.

Here they come, the new season of [STRIKE]shows[/STRIKE] trash. Finally, there is an uproar FINALLY over a show.

"All My Babies' Mamas," a one-hour reality special slated to air in the spring of 2013, features Carlos "Shawty Lo" Walker, an Atlanta-based hip-hop artist with 11 children by 10 different women. Oh, he's also got a 19-year-old girlfriend, who's a year shy of his oldest child.

"The focus of our outrage is that they would dare exploit the pain of these children and that Oxygen would promote this toxic situation to its young, impressionable female audience," Lamb, an author and cultural commentator

But network executives may be just as hellbent on attracting those young, impressionable women Lamb is talking about. In the show's press release, Cori Abraham, senior vice president of development for Oxygen Media promises, "All My Babies' Mamas" will be filled with outrageous and authentic over-the-top moments that our young, diverse female audience can tweet and gossip about."

"You've got a network with international reach telling a young female audience it's okay to have unprotected sex, that other women are enemies, that they're not valued by men, that their financial sustenance should come from a man, and that babies are just spectators in all of this," Lamb tells Shine.

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/oxygens-show-babies-mamas-makes-everyone-mad-hasnt-212100389.html

"tweet and gossip about?

Oxygen is Oprah's Network.

Chiles also notes the irony of the network's history. "Painfully, Oxygen is the network that was started by, among others, Oprah Winfrey in 1998, with the brilliant idea of—wait for it—empowering women," he writes. "But 1998 was a loooong time ago. Since then, it was purchased by NBC Universal in 2007 for $925 million and any kind of mission about female empowerment was long ago abandoned."

I'm not a big fan of Oprah, but I don't think we can hang this on her.

turbo said:
I'm not a big fan of Oprah, but I don't think we can hang this on her.
Sure we can, it's her network and she claims to have approval over shows. Besides, she's into new age woo woo. So much so that one reputable news source removed an article about her woowoo due to the number of complaints pointing out the truth.

I've never watched her show but have read about some of the kooks she seems to support. Does it seem that she just has no BS detector or will she just do anything for ratings?

Just one article on oprah, I'm getting ready for bed, so this will have to do.

all too often Oprah winds up putting herself and her trusting audience in the hands of celebrity authors and pop-science artists pitching wonder cures and miracle treatments that are questionable or flat-out wrong, and sometimes dangerous

Last summer Dr. Christiane Northrup, a physician and one of Oprah's regular experts ...

Northrup holds a special place in Oprah's constellation of regular guests. A Dartmouth-educated ob-gyn, she stresses alternative therapies and unseen connections between the soul and the body that she believes conventional doctors overlook, but that she can see. She has written about how she has used Tarot cards to help diagnose her own illnesses. (On her Web site, she sells her own "Women's Wisdom Healing Cards.") In other words, she gets right to the center of Oprah's search for hidden mystical meanings.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2009/05/29/live-your-best-life-ever.html

Last edited:
How about: Duck Dynasty or Amish Mafia ?? There is no cure for stupid. What the he! happened to the History Channel and A&E.

rootX said:
When I thought I know of all stupid shows..

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaGX7eIDET4

It's too bad steve-o will become a B list celebrity..after Ryan Dunn died never again will there be a jackass movie I think, so he has no other outlet to make it anywhere else in show business.

1. What are some examples of "Horrible TV Marathons"?

Some examples of "Horrible TV Marathons" are Honey Boo Boo, Storage Wars, Swamp People, Jersey Shore, and The Bachelor.

2. Why are these TV marathons considered "horrible"?

These TV marathons are considered "horrible" because they often portray negative stereotypes, promote materialism and unhealthy behaviors, and lack educational value or substance.

3. Do these TV marathons have any redeeming qualities?

While these TV marathons may not be considered high-quality or educational, they do provide entertainment value for some viewers and can serve as a form of escapism.

4. Are there any potential negative effects of watching these TV marathons?

There is some research that suggests that prolonged exposure to these types of TV marathons can lead to decreased attention span, desensitization to violence and other negative behaviors, and a skewed perception of reality.

5. Should these TV marathons be banned or censored?

The decision to watch these TV marathons ultimately lies with the individual viewer. However, it is important for parents and guardians to monitor their children's TV viewing habits and discuss any potential negative messages or behaviors portrayed in these TV marathons. As for censorship, it is a controversial topic and ultimately up to regulatory bodies and society as a whole to determine what content is appropriate for public consumption.

Back