Numerical Methods for PDEs, basic algorithm?

In summary: I wish you the best of luck! In summary, this person is looking for a step by step pseudo-algorithm for numerical techniques for partial differential equations.
maistral
This is actually a request, I don't know if these are the correct forums for me to post these kinds of things, but yeah. Alright. I intended to study and learn numerical methods with PDEs on my own.

And sadly the only thing I can comprehend is the Liebmann method. :cry: And I got so little time :cry: our professor didn't have the luxury of time to discuss numerical methods for PDEs (but I fear that I may encounter these problems soon, and I don't want to be a sitting duck when that time comes).

So yeah, can I ask for at least a basic/step by step pseudo-algorithm for numerical techniques for PDEs? Because I read Kreyszig's and O'Neil's book and yeah, the only thing I can comprehend is the Liebmann method.

Physics news on Phys.org
maistral said:
This is actually a request, I don't know if these are the correct forums for me to post these kinds of things, but yeah. Alright. I intended to study and learn numerical methods with PDEs on my own.

And sadly the only thing I can comprehend is the Liebmann method. :cry: And I got so little time :cry: our professor didn't have the luxury of time to discuss numerical methods for PDEs (but I fear that I may encounter these problems soon, and I don't want to be a sitting duck when that time comes).

So yeah, can I ask for at least a basic/step by step pseudo-algorithm for numerical techniques for PDEs? Because I read Kreyszig's and O'Neil's book and yeah, the only thing I can comprehend is the Liebmann method.

The type of numerical method you use depends on nature of the PDE you are solving: elliptic, parabolic, hyperbolic. Even within each of these categories, there are many different numerical techniques that are used.

Gosh numerical solution of partial differential equations. self taught. That's a big subject indeed.

:smile:

I assume you know some of the techniques for ordinary differential equations?
I hope you have the means to solve large sets of simultaneous algebraic (usually linear) equations.

You can rewrite the equation in terms of finite differences -crank nicholson, for instance still works.

You can set up a grid over the region of application and apply simplified functions. This is the basis of the finite element method.

You can use Greens / Stokes / Gauss theorems to relate the PDE within the region to functions on the boundary. This is the basis of the boundary element method.

Special methods such as the shooting method of work for a ball park solution, when nothing else does.

Since you have not found much in your existing texts here is a short bibliography of numeric PDEs

Finite Difference Equations : Levy & Lessman

Numerical Analysis : Kincaid & Cheney

Elementary Applied Partial Differential Equations : Haberman

A First Course in Partial Differential Equations : Weinberger

Elements of Computational Hydraulics : Koutitas

Numerical Methods for Partial Differential Equations : Ames

Numerical Solutions of Partial Differential Equations : Morton & Mayers

Several titles about Boundary Elements : Brebbia

Numerical Solution of Partial Differenctial Equations Finite Difference Methods : Smith

This last one is an excellent book for self teaching.

go well in your efforts

Last edited:

1. What are numerical methods for solving partial differential equations (PDEs)?

Numerical methods for PDEs are techniques used to solve PDEs that cannot be solved analytically. These methods involve approximating the solutions to PDEs using numerical algorithms and computer simulations.

2. What is the basic algorithm used for solving PDEs using numerical methods?

The basic algorithm for solving PDEs using numerical methods is the finite difference method. This method involves discretizing the PDE into a system of algebraic equations, which can then be solved using iterative techniques.

3. What are the advantages of using numerical methods for PDEs?

Numerical methods for PDEs have several advantages, including the ability to solve complex PDEs that do not have analytical solutions, the ability to handle non-linear and time-dependent PDEs, and the ability to obtain accurate solutions with relatively simple and efficient algorithms.

4. What are the limitations of numerical methods for PDEs?

Numerical methods for PDEs have some limitations, including the potential for numerical errors and instability, the need for careful selection of discretization parameters, and the possibility of convergence issues for certain types of PDEs.

5. How are numerical methods for PDEs applied in real-world problems?

Numerical methods for PDEs have a wide range of applications in various fields, including engineering, physics, finance, and biology. They are used to model and simulate complex systems, such as fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and population dynamics, and to make predictions and optimize designs in practical problems.